If MFP Started Charging Fees

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If they offered a cleaner food database, or additional calorie tracking methods than NEAT right out of the box, then I'd consider it.

Yeah. The current quality of the database is not good enough to charge money for. Other than that, I use MFP enough that I would definitely consider paying a small monthly fee (up to $5), at least for a while.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    One word....NO.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    if part of that fee went towards erasing strikes, yes

if part of that fee went towards removing sticks from others *kitten*, yes
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not it if was a monthly fee, or a yearly fee.. or any type of recurring fee. However I probably would pay a nominal one time fee.
    (Regarding comments about forum posts, if it was a paid subscription-based site, the forums topics and conversations would probably be of greater quality.)

ETA: Well I might do a nominal yearly fee.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If they charged, I'd go back to using Map my run, they interact with Garmin which MFP doesnt.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It depends on the price. I'd probably pay up to about $20/year, but I'd also expect that the ads get removed.
  • BeautifulByChoice
    Options
    I wouldn't consider them a Pal, that's for sure.

This^^^
    I would deactivate.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would go back to Sparkpeople for free.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    absolutely. we get too much for free these days and it doesn't let us really appreciate things!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay to access any internet based social media. They make plenty of money in advertising and there's always a free alternative.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If was under $24 a year, cleaned up the food db, and removed ads for paying customers. I would go for it.

This.. except when I got to a rough patch I'd probably think "Oh I can't believe I'm paying for this and I'm not even losing" and deact.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother reading everything here because I find that if you read the beginning few posts to get the feel and then jump to the ending posts, you can see which direction the thread has taken. What I did read was fun. MFP sells ads so that the site can be free. (Imagine that!)

And I also saw posts criticizing other posters. I thought the forums were supposed to be vehicles where anyone could pose a topic to get advice, have some fun, or just get people riled up at the very thought of something so absurd. If you don't like the topic, skip it. If you visit and don't appreciate the first few posts or have nothing constructive to add, then leave. It's that simple.

There will always be people who will take the opposing view, no matter what the subject matter is and even if they contradict themselves from one thread to another. If that bothers you, then don't visit the forums.

And yes, there will always be people who will think standing for an hour is cardio and those who want to know if they chew that cookie to get the taste and then spit it out, does it count. Just shake your head, laugh, and be thankful you didn't post it.
  • 80kilos
    80kilos Posts: 1
    Options
    No. I dont see why we should when we are already to wading through a sea of adverts as it is.

Facebook is free because of the advertising, and more than 80% of folk polled said they would not pay to use it.
  • Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would pay a small fee, if ads were removed.

My health is worth it, I use this site every day, I appreciate the work that's been done, and even if it is a user generated food database I'm comfortable with it. I believe in donating and supporting these types of motivational tools. Someone took the time out to create it and someone has to host it. A site doesn't make "plenty of money" from ads on it, with the amount of traffic and space this one takes. Too many people think they're entitled to constant free. I'm thankful it's free.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I too would pay a reasonable fee. I strongly value MFP as a tool and community.
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Would we still have to wait for all the adds to load and have to look at them? They are SO annoying. Having the site being free makes it half-way worth it to have these big billboards all over my screen.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There are so many free apps out there, the only way I would consider paying is if there were some major updates and perks added. Right now, no, I wouldn't pay for it.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    maybe im an idealist but this site has helped change my life. if i have to pay a small fee or say even $100 a year, its worth it
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If it was reasonable and made some improvements I'd consider it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    No plenty of free calorie counters out there