I started drinking green tea in the AM and lost 4.5lbs in a week!!!

Options

Replies

• zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me as what the OP said but I also hopped on one foot twice, then shaved....strictly in that sequence....resultant loss.....4.2 lbs....so, tea, hop and shave your way to success....just sayin....maybe i'll write a book
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    But did you drink it out of a pink cup? It has to be pink or it won't work
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I seriously got tired of people giving me a disappointed response when I told them that I eat less and exercise more. So now I told them that I burn more calories by masturbating. That really shuts people up, lol

But congrats on the loss and you should try green tea with mint. It's amazing!

So did @tincanonastring and he got flagged numers times.

Ooop! Numerous that is

To be fair, I wasn't quite asked for that advice.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    A lesson in correlation =/= causation.

A couple weeks ago I remarked at work on how much more pleasant my very chilly morning walk to the train station has been since I got a travel mug and could have a cup of tea on the way. A discussion started about what type of tea we all drink (I'm known for having variety of teas in my drawer) and I said that in the mornings I have been drinking green tea.

Fast forward to last Friday, and I had weighed in and lost 4.5lbs! I mentioned this to a workmate/friend, who I often discuss weight loss with, and got overheard by another workmate who jumped right in to tell me without any hesitation that the reason I lost that weight was because I'd started drinking green tea in the morning, because it is a "proven fat burner". She started recommending to others that they get on the green tea bandwagon, and touting me as an example (she's a little… let's say overwhelming, this lady).

Now the prior week, I had recommitted to counting calories and had tightened up my allowance, had not used the weekend as a reason to eat everything under the sun, had tweaked my macros, had home cooked every meal rather than guesstimating at bought lunches, had put in an hour of exercise a day without fail, and had stayed away from wine.

But it was totally the green tea.

I just thought this was a really good example of how people really want to believe that a product, supplement, or other advertised woo was going to make them lose weight, there is little logic that seems to deter them. It's the prime example of how "…when used in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet and exercise" completely fails to resonate with some people.

Very rarely will someone who jumps on a new miracle weight loss product ONLY start using that product and not do anything else. Even subconsciously they may eat less, make better choices, whatever. And when they start to succeed, OMG it's the product! But it is a total placebo effect. And if that works for you, great, but don't be misled – your habits, and not the magic tea/pill/wrap determine your success.

For the record, there are now 3 people drinking green tea in my immediate vicinity. I have a latte.

The real question is how many peeps did you have that week. All of them, right?
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You know you can do better. If you drank cold green tea you'd lose more weight, because you'd burn more calories drinking the cold water. Or you could have it with peeps...
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I seriously got tired of people giving me a disappointed response when I told them that I eat less and exercise more. So now I told them that I burn more calories by masturbating. That really shuts people up, lol

Bwahaha! Just got chocked on my regular old black iced tea!! That just made my day!! May I borrow that comeback??
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You are the Norma Romano of weight loss in your office.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You know you can do better. If you drank cold green tea you'd lose more weight, because you'd burn more calories drinking the cold water. Or you could have it with peeps...

What about the typically contrasting advice that cold water burns calories cuz your body works harder to warm up, and hot water melts fats because it prevents cogulation of fatty deposits and aids detox in oily foods in digestion?

TOO MUCH ADVICE!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I love you for that comparison.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I love you for that comparison.

zwt1qqisoa1y.gif
  • mangrothian
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

What about the typically contrasting advice that cold water burns calories cuz your body works harder to warm up, and hot water melts fats because it prevents cogulation of fatty deposits and aids detox in oily foods in digestion?

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Does that mean we should drink water that's just below tepid, so we can get a median of both effects? Or does that mean they're both negated? Do the antioxidants in the green tea change the freezing temp of the water, and if so will that mean we have to adjust the temperature of the water further? Decisions decisions!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    :p Too funny.
    Several years ago I tried green tea, bought a box on a whim, I had heard things, magical things...
    The tea bags ended up tossed in drawers and used as sachets. I love tea but I did not like green tea at all! :s
  • HomeschoolDad
    HomeschoolDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Does that mean we should drink water that's just below tepid, so we can get a median of both effects? Or does that mean they're both negated? Do the antioxidants in the green tea change the freezing temp of the water, and if so will that mean we have to adjust the temperature of the water further? Decisions decisions!

All good questions that need to be worked into your book so you have something to talk about while doing the talk show circuit. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. A fool and his money is soon parted so you might as well gather it. :smiley:
  • mangrothian
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

All good questions that need to be worked into your book so you have something to talk about while doing the talk show circuit. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. A fool and his money is soon parted so you might as well gather it. :smiley:

Good idea... all we need then is to throw in some stuff about anti-oxidants and anti-radicals and dihydrogen oxide being an excellent product for the body to help expel dem toxins that make you hold on to your belly fat.

@Alatariel75 I think a book idea is in order. Then all we need is a desperate celeb with too many debts to be a spokesperson.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Good idea... all we need then is to throw in some stuff about anti-oxidants and anti-radicals and dihydrogen oxide being an excellent product for the body to help expel dem toxins that make you hold on to your belly fat.

@Alatariel75 I think a book idea is in order. Then all we need is a desperate celeb with too many debts to be a spokesperson.

I like it, I like it a lot. I hear Amanda Bynes is free?
  • mangrothian
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Not a bad idea, although I hear she only takes her green tea with vodka. Maybe Alicia Silverstone? She only did like 3 movies, so she's gotta be available and she's all about dem ebil toxins.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You know if you'd have drunk it under a full moon that your whole body would have been detoxed and cleansed too right?
  • Alatariel75
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Not a bad idea, although I hear she only takes her green tea with vodka. Maybe Alicia Silverstone? She only did like 3 movies, so she's gotta be available and she's all about dem ebil toxins.

Ohhh, I like it! Given a few years we might get Gwenneth, but right now she still has market share...
  • mangrothian
    Options

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

Ohhh, I like it! Given a few years we might get Gwenneth, but right now she still has market share...

The other thing we'll need is the before and after pics kindly donated from people on the site. Or those newspaper pictures like they use for the fatblaster ads.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A lesson in correlation =/= causation.

For the record, there are now 3 people drinking green tea in my immediate vicinity. I have a latte.

56158-Doctor-Who-10-laughing-gif-d1CI.gif

:heart: