did los angeles make you feel ugly???

Options
i just came back from LA and my self esteem is at rock bottom
i see why people go crazy living there..... you cant go anywhere without seeing someone who looks like a perfect 10
and theyre not even a big deal..... just another starving artist trying to get to the top
say what you want but when most of us see attractive people we go to the drawing board to see how we can better our own looks
today i got a haircut, laid out to tan, and will not take a rest day from gym for the foreseeable future
not saying looks are everything but THIS VESSEL WILL LOOK THE BEST THAT IT CAN

Replies

• teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have not been to LA, but what makes me want to go to the drawing board is when I see someone with a bigger butt than me or a woman with bulks muscles. That or the strippers who climb the pole or stay on it the whole time. I can't even lift my own weight once. They make me feel so weak.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Um... no. The people in LA are highly varied and I haven't noticed they are any more attractive or fit than elsewhere.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Don't read beauty magazines they will only make you feel ugly... and wear sunscreen.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Same thing over here in New York. I saw it as motivation because I have to compete in the dating world with these women.

Step one, get more physically fit and confident. Step two, shrink to size 8 to draw them in. Step three, tell a guy that I can squat him...I usually get a phone call the next day :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've been to LA twice and the people didn't appear to be any different than those here in New York? There aren't an abundance of perfect 10s from what I've seen.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I live in Orange County, CA.....fkn plastic barbie dolls everywhere!

I just try to do me and do the best I can. I may not be as "hot" but I have a pretty rad attitude...that def. goes a long way in my book :glasses:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Just be you :) a good personality beats good looks any day
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't read beauty magazines they will only make you feel ugly... and wear sunscreen.

Nice. Now that's stuck in my head.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    When I lived in LA I was 19, insecure, fat, dating a loser and going to school for a loser occupation. Back then any pretty lady with fake boobies showing skin made me feel like crap. Hell, any Korean lady who asked my boyfriend to get something down from the shelf made me cringe (we lived in Koreatown - not being racist).

Basically no matter what happened, where I lived or who was strutting their stuff I would have felt terrible about myself because I was not happy.

So, yes. But if I was there now I'm pretty sure I'd be more interested in staring at all the tan blonde ladies strutting and feel happy to be surrounded by beauty - even if it is plastic, sunshine - even if it's smogged up and ocean - even though it's so dirty.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Tanning is pretty much asking for ugly. If not soon, certainly in the future.
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I completely hate that stereotype about L.A. being fake and full of gorgeous people. I have lived here my entire life and unless you are in the touristy areas, the rest is a melting pot. L.A. is more than just a small segment of Beverly Hills. I live in Orange County and I don't really see all these Barbie Dolls either, but perhaps that's more prevalent in the beach areas of Newport and Laguna. Bottom line, if you're in a VERY touristy area of a big city, you will probably encounter a lot of attractive people. Trust me, I see many unattractive people here! :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your self esteem was probably at rock bottom before you went to LA.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I completely hate that stereotype about L.A. being fake and full of gorgeous people. I have lived here my entire life and unless you are in the touristy areas, the rest is a melting pot. L.A. is more than just a small segment of Beverly Hills. I live in Orange County and I don't really see all these Barbie Dolls either, but perhaps that's more prevalent in the beach areas of Newport and Laguna. Bottom line, if you're in a VERY touristy area of a big city, you will probably encounter a lot of attractive people. Trust me, I see many unattractive people here! :)

its not really a steroetype because it is sorta true. But ur right...depending on the area. You go to santa ana, what do you see? A lot of overweight hispanics. You go to Newport....what do you see? Barbie and Kens almost everywhere. Demographics. So he was probably in one of those "areas" where it was full of gorgeous folk.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hell, any Korean lady who asked my boyfriend to get something down from the shelf made me cringe (we lived in Koreatown - not being racist).

Um. Soooo, what are you sayin'? Are you calling Koreans short or something??? I think I'm feeling a little butthurt now...and short. :wink:
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your self esteem was probably at rock bottom before you went to LA.

Ouch.

To the OP: Just let it motivate you and push you to be your *ultimate* self. I know what you mean about LA, especially in the trendier areas where you were probably visiting. I really love living near the area and use all the beauty as motivation. Yes, the stereotype of L.A. is not necessarily accurate, but just the "feel" of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. can be overwhelming sometimes. Also, lay off the tanning. Fake tan is where it's at so you can still look 30 by the time you're 60 (I recommend St. Tropez bronzing mousse.)! :wink:
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have been to the LA area many times..... seen many ugly, average and pretty people. Didn't make me feel any uglier than normal. *shrugs*
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Northern California and I never felt that way when visiting L.A. But, it was funny one time when I was there because I was wearing sunglasses and a sun hat and was really trying not to get sunburned because I hadn't put sunblock on (I burn so easily there). So anyway, some people thought I was a famous person trying to be incognito. There was another time when people thought I was a famous person because I accidentally parked in the parking spaces on a movie set (I did not know they were filming a movie at a hospital that had a fitness center that I was going to).
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Which part of LA did you go to?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LA, from San Diego mind you! Favorite stay-cation place. I love looking at the beautiful people in LA and wonder how much surgery they have had. Don't be fooled into thinking they have something you don't. Many are surrounded by shallow folks who will leach onto the next best thing as soon as it it hits the screen or papers.

In general LA is a fabulous and diverse city with much to offer, I feel ALIVE when I am there!

Be happy with who you are and the progress you have made, measuring yourself against others is not a reliable tool, especially as women where clothing sizes vary by 1-2 sizes depending on the maker.