My First Clean Bulk: looking for opinions/tips

Options
I'm into my fourth week of clean bulking, below is my usual diet Monday-Saturday with Sunday being a cheat day. Any opinions, advice, tweaks would be awesome. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Information:
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 174-175lbs.
Body Fat: 9.4%

Goal: 190-195lbs by February depending on how I look in the mirror, any input here would be great.

Week 1: 169 lbs.
Week 4: 174-175lbs.

rqla2pkv8fu8.png

Right now aiming for a 50c/20f/30p split, I don't mind the extra protein unless someone gives me good advice as to why I shouldn't go over 30%.

Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you're happy eating that, go for it. I can think if a lot more enjoyable things I could be doing with my calories!

"clean bulk" has nothing to do with the types of food you eat, but the amount you eat and how much excess fat that comes with a surplus
  • Sheblak10
    Sheblak10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh trust me, i know, I just want to gain weight as clean as possible so when I cut, it won't be as hard compared to if I 'dirty bulk'.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sheblak10 wrote: »
    Oh trust me, i know, I just want to gain weight as clean as possible so when I cut, it won't be as hard compared to if I 'dirty bulk'.

Lol wut???

Clean bulk = 250 cal increase to minimize fat gains
    Dirty bulk = 500 cal increase to gain as much mass as possible and not worry about fat gain

Again cleanliness of food has nothing to do with it...

What is clean weight???
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Fat is fat, regardless of whether it comes from eating an excess of chicken, broccoli rice or icecream..

I'd probably eat less protein and more carbs/fat.
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Lol wut???

Dirty bulk = 500 cal increase to gain as much mass as possible and not worry about fat gain

What is clean weight???

me personally, i think of dirty bulking as eating outside or fast foods and such, foods that aren't nutritious IMO. Maybe the industry sees it otherwise. so you think i should drop from 1-2lbs a week to .5?
  • Sheblak10
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The calories look about right. About 5-6 pounds in 4 weeks is a little more than the recommened .5-1 pound per week. Are your lifts going up? Measurements? Ice cream and cheese curds have been my go to foods.

yea definitely feel (and am) much stronger in my lifts. I feel though that the mirror is not equalling my strength and weight gain, maybe I'm being impatient?
  • Sheblak10
    Options

Fat is fat, regardless of whether it comes from eating an excess of chicken, broccoli rice or icecream..

I'd probably eat less protein and more carbs/fat.

I agree, fat comes from excess calories, doesn't matter the food. I'll look into dropping some protein and adding some carbs or fat.

Thanks!
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    The calories look about right. About 5-6 pounds in 4 weeks is a little more than the recommened .5-1 pound per week. Are your lifts going up? Measurements? Ice cream and cheese curds have been my go to foods.

yea definitely feel (and am) much stronger in my lifts. I feel though that the mirror is not equalling my strength and weight gain, maybe I'm being impatient?

This is a passage from the bulk guide for begginers stickied on the helpful links section:

Somewhere around a surplus of 400 calories per day, a little more for men, a little less for women, is about where it seems the localized effects of meals begins to vanish and your body is in a calorie surplus and building muscles 24 hours a day.

That guide helped me understand quite a bit about bulking. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading it.

http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

awesome man thanks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Lol wut???

What is clean weight???

me personally, i think of dirty bulking as eating outside or fast foods and such, foods that aren't nutritious IMO. Maybe the industry sees it otherwise. so you think i should drop from 1-2lbs a week to .5?

You need to stop viewing foods as good/bad/clean...

FYI - your view of dirty bulking is not correct..

I would say keep eating in the surplus that you need to reach your goals
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Keep protein at 30%, but that's just my opinion.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You weigh 175 with about 10% bf at 5'9? Isn't that superman size?
  • Sheblak10
    Options

Haha I wish man, unfortunately I look much smaller than it sounds lol working on it!
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    Keep protein at 30%, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to stick to
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Drop protein and increase carbs/fat. Unnecessary to have protein that high when you can be reap the benefits of a better fueled workout and recovery from carbs or fats
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    How did you measure your body fat so perfect to have a decimal point? Super Bro-science man...lol

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Can we see a picture please?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can we see a picture please?

This, plus where is the fruit?
    And dairy?
    And happiness?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    40962d1360981355-altezza-back-light-covers-hids-87838d1334008562-lake-harding-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures_zpsc770d0cf.jpg