For some, has avoiding fat been more effective than avoiding carbs for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Others, like me, LOOK at a Yorkie and gain 3 lbs.

Hmm.

mfpp3j3tbm89.jpg

Cute, but I wouldn't have thought obesogenic.

More seriously, I don't think the fact that people react differently to some foods (for example, digestively or in terms of satiety) and that people's metabolisms differ (as well as their natural tendencies to eat more than they need to maintain their weights) is contrary to CICO.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

Let me guess...you don't have PCOS.

PCOS doesn't break the laws of physics.

It's more like chemistry, actually.

Chemistry obeys the laws of physics too. Everything does. Energy can't be created or destroyed, every action requires energy. Nothing on this planet can change that.
    GARBAGE IN/GARBAGE OUT is also a law of physics. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

Currently I am an apple. Perhaps later this afternoon I will be a marshmallow. For dinner, I shall be chicken buffalo dip.
    image.png?w=400&c=1

Oh, dear. I had some piggie and some veggies for lunch. Am I a pig or a vegetable? Thank goodness I didn't have those nuts I almost had.

And WHY am I being insulted!
    Are you sure you had veggies? Could've been fruits.
    9gsu0c48iru7.gif

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You guys bashing sugar and fat can take a look at my diary entry from yesterday. I did Stronglifts 5x5 and a small amount of cycling (only about 150 calories), and even with all of what many consider "junk food" in my day, I won't gain an ounce (of fat; water is another story, but meh). Know why? Because I burned more than I consumed. That's how it works.

Chemistry obeys the laws of physics too. Everything does. Energy can't be created or destroyed, every action requires energy. Nothing on this planet can change that.
    Since I never studied physics, I will skip pretending to be an expert in the field. I did, however, study chemistry (much of which I don't remember, especially Organic Chem) and Anatomy, so I can at least pretend to be an expert, even though I'm not.

It's always garbage out, regardless of what goes in. :)

Healthy bodies keep what they need and some of what they might need and they send the rest out.

Let online people eat what they want. Their junk food doesn't make you less healthy. You don't run around the grocery store yelling at people who pick up a bag of Oreos or a Stouffer's dinner, do you? Of course not. Take that same approach online.

If someone else eats a more healthy (or less healthy) diet, it can't change anyone else's health, plan or weight loss. Fwiw.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Interesting NIH article by Richard Feinman and others (my italics):

"A review of simple thermodynamic principles shows that weight change on isocaloric diets is not expected to be independent of path (metabolism of macronutrients) and indeed such a general principle would be a violation of the second law. Homeostatic mechanisms are able to insure that, a good deal of the time, weight does not fluctuate much with changes in diet – this might be said to be the true "miraculous metabolic effect" – but it is subject to many exceptions. The idea that this is theoretically required in all cases is mistakenly based on equilibrium, reversible conditions that do not hold for living organisms and an insufficient appreciation of the second law. The second law of thermodynamics says that variation of efficiency for different metabolic pathways is to be expected. Thus, ironically the dictum that a "calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics, as a matter of principle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Since I never studied physics, I will skip pretending to be an expert in the field. I did, however, study chemistry (much of which I don't remember, especially Organic Chem) and Anatomy, so I can at least pretend to be an expert, even though I'm not.

This is an excellent point.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid fat, but cutting fat is my best diet tool because fat is what I overeat most. Olive oil especially. I love the stuff. I put it on just about everything. Lots of it. Too much of it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid fat, but cutting fat is my best diet tool because fat is what I overeat most. Olive oil especially. I love the stuff. I put it on just about everything. Lots of it. Too much of it.

Bread dipped in olive oil and spices. Amazing, and I could clear an entire loaf of bread (which is just transport for the oil).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Bread dipped in olive oil and spices. Amazing, and I could clear an entire loaf of bread (which is just transport for the oil).

Ditto!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    Interesting NIH article by Richard Feinman and others (my italics):

"A review of simple thermodynamic principles shows that weight change on isocaloric diets is not expected to be independent of path (metabolism of macronutrients) and indeed such a general principle would be a violation of the second law. Homeostatic mechanisms are able to insure that, a good deal of the time, weight does not fluctuate much with changes in diet – this might be said to be the true "miraculous metabolic effect" – but it is subject to many exceptions. The idea that this is theoretically required in all cases is mistakenly based on equilibrium, reversible conditions that do not hold for living organisms and an insufficient appreciation of the second law. The second law of thermodynamics says that variation of efficiency for different metabolic pathways is to be expected. Thus, ironically the dictum that a "calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics, as a matter of principle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/

A calorie is only then not a calorie if you're looking at tiny, for 90% of the population irrelevant details.
    Of course there's some small differences in the efficiency of metabolism between different foods.
    Those only account for a handful of calories in difference for most people. Then there's up and downregulations of your metabolism in reaction to small changes in intake, etc. etc. It's all really interesting to read about, but mostly useless for someone trying to lose weight as the changes are too small to completely offset a proper deficit.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.full

The title of his article is purposely chosen to sound like the way it does, and looking at a few other publications of his, that doesn't seem to be uncommon for him.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

This is an excellent point.

lemur! Hey! :smiley:

I had some naan! I took a nice, long diet break and indulged in many yummy breads, including ciabatta (without brushing it with oil - I didn't go wild and crazy) and there in a cookbook was the recipe for naan. I thought of you when I saw it and was like, "I'm making this!" and I did. I'm not sure if it came out right because it was my virgin attempt, but it was GOOD!!

One more thing to avoid, lol.

And all my points are excellent. Duh. ;);)
  • Kalikel
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Okay, I just read the posts after lemur's and people discussed bread and oil. I DIDNT SEE THOSE before I posted about eating breads! The oil thing was just about my break and not about anyone here. I really hadn't seen it yet! That was not an attack or passive-aggressive insult on or to anyone!!

It was an unfortunate coincidence. I have discussed breads with lemur and specifically naan more than once. Just updating her, not an insult. I highly apologize if anyone saw it and thought it was more than it was!!! (Really was not. I think you get it now. I'll shut up.)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Rabbitjb -- perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I had surgery at age 6 months (in 1956, not 6 months ago). There is some research that suggests that antibiotics given to infants permanently changes gut flora.... Why did I go from a normal size baby to an extremely chubby one immediately post-surgery? That's a question I obviously cannot answer, but it makes me wonder....especially as none of my siblings nor my parents had a weight problem.

my daughter should be the size of a house then. she was put on antibiotics within an hour of birth, had numerous courses her first year in hospital, lives on them every winter and several short courses every summer.

instead shes underweight. guess shes just burning more than shes eating

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    It is not a simple matter of just cutting fat and carbs; manufactured fats like canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil should be eliminated entirely because they serve no nutritional purpose. Most fats, like bacon and eggs, butter, coconut oil and other saturated fats should be increased because saturated fats and cholesterol are healthy. Same thing with refined white sugar, white flour, white rice etc. If it is manufactured you should not ever eat it. If the sugar is in whole raw fruits or vegetables you can eat lots. Nutrition is far too complex to be based merely upon macro-nutrients: CARBS, FAT, PROTEIN.

So canola, corn, safflower and soybean oil are "manufactured" but bacon, butter, and coconut oil aren't? Because the bacon comes off the pig already smoked, the butterfat comes out of the cow already separated from the buttermilk, and you crack open a coconut and the oil runs out?

I wonder if sugar direct from the cane is ok. :p

Yes, raw syrup from the cane would have some nutrition. You mean you didn't know that?

What is different nutritionally? And syrup is not direct from the cane...juice is.

[weak snark btw...I am sure you can do better]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

These are such ridiculous phrases in the context of this thread.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Happy foods might improve your attitude
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Happy foods might improve your attitude

But happy foods would be carbs since the increase serotonin. Those are a no go.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Proving that CICO is worthless when it comes to real health and helpful advice.

I don't follow your line of logic. ;)

CICO is the only way to manage weight, even if one is not literally counting calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

That's my thinking too--that with medical issues, such as PCOS, it takes a bit more work to find your deficit to lose weight because of the insulin resistance that is usually involved.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Oh for goodness sakes.........

That's silly, and it sounds like you need to start another conversation on this very topic (without the shouting).