How do I break up with chocolate?

Options
124»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sleep with its best friend and it will break up with you.

No follow up of "BTW, chocolate and I are pretty well acquainted..."?
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm another one who found it really helpful to give it up for a few weeks - for the month of november last year I was off all refined/added sugar and carbs, and again in march I was off all refined sugar. I found this really helped in me in two ways:

1. Greatly reduced my sweet tooth - now I walk past the chocolate/biscuits/dessert aisle and find most of the stuff there just unappetising; I remember the first time I tried chocolate after giving it up in November, a few tiny pieces of commercial chocolate gave me a headache and I felt ill (it was about 5 pieces of Celebrations, IIRC - considering that before I'd probably be able to get through the entire box in one day in a couple of sittings, that's not bad going). Now when I want to buy some of that stuff all I can think about is how cheap it tastes - greasy from the added fat and you can almost feel the added sugar grinding against your teeth. I've always liked dark chocolate anyway, but even that I can take in moderation now without it being a problem.

2. I learned how to eat without it. Same with the carbs, I learned how to build meals around proteins and vegetables rather than rice/bread/pasta. With dessert I now expect to eat fruit instead of chocolate, once every few weeks I'll bake something and share it with family and friends as just a little taste satisfies me now.

Obviously, I'm not that stringent all the time - I have some peanut butter cup ice-cream in the freezer waiting for sunday afternoon for when some friends are coming around, but it's not the thing that means a lot in my day anymore and I don't crave it all the time. Before I'm sure I'd have to buy two containers - one for me to eat during the week and another for us on sunday! I found it helpful to switch my 'treats' from being food based to other things: reading, drawing, going out to cinemas/art galleries, etc.

I found it helpful to think of it this way: it's only a month, and if I don't like it, I can always go back to the way I ate before, all the chocolate I like will still be there! So you don't really lose anything. Anyway, good luck to all working out their strategies on craving-management :)
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Or one of them will suggest a threesome ;)

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with the lindt sea salt and dark chocolate. It's not very dark but still no milk in it. I love it. Eat it almost every single day! I look forward to having it. I fit it in specifically just like a meal haha
  • evelyngomez_xo
    evelyngomez_xo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with the lindt sea salt and dark chocolate. It's not very dark but still no milk in it. I love it. Eat it almost every single day! I look forward to having it. I fit it in specifically just like a meal haha

I will have to try it!!
    Thank you :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Or one of them will suggest a threesome ;)
    Sleep with someone and chocolate? Then you end up with the George Constanza can't feel satisfied problem.