CI/CO vs Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Welp, glad to see this thread is going the usual route.

Anyone got an extra bingo marker?

*passes one over*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just here for the comments.
    Mx6kj.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Courtesy of Rainbow Brite, CEO and Joy Spreader at Happy Rainbows and Unicorn Sparkles MFP Welcome Crew.
    il_214x170.757228269_f330.jpg

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    post-25584-inglorious-basterds-thats-a-bi-nfJ9.gif
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Why do these boards always have to always do extremes? Why can't I follow CICO while mainly eating clean (even though that's a stupid classification)
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My understanding: Calories are calories, no matter the source. If you eat more calories than you burn, then you'll gain weight. However, if you get all your calories over a long period of time from an unbalanced diet (say, 1300 calories from chocolate cake and nothing else), you will probably not get all the nutrients you need to stay healthy/build muscle. Think of sailors during the 15th-17th centuries who'd get scurvy from not having enough diversity in their diets while at sea.

I had been eating reasonably well in terms of calories and in a reasonably diverse diet, but this winter I kept getting sick. The doctor did blood work, and found I was low on vitamin D and protein. Turns out, eating as low protein as my husband prefers is not healthy for my particular body. Even though my weight was steady (as I wanted), I wasn't eating right *for me*.

I suppose the idea of "clean eating" can be helpful on a person by person basis, but since everyone decides what is "good" "clean" food for themselves, there really isn't a clear and solid definition of what it is.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Why do these boards always have to always do extremes? Why can't I follow CICO while mainly eating clean (even though that's a stupid classification)

That's not stupid. That's exactly what I do to fit my calorie/macro and micronutrient requirements. It's up to other people how they wish to do it.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight, a calorie deficit is the only requirement. People tend to confuse different goals when it comes to all of this. Here's a simple list to get the basic ideas/goals organized:

~For weight loss: calories in < calories out.
    ~For body composition: get enough protein and do some sort of progressive resistance training routine.
    ~For overall health: get enough fat, micronutrients (especially fiber), water, sleep, rest/recovery, maybe some cardio.
    ~For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason.

• slideaway1
    Options
    Sorry, I just realised you meant "eating clean" was a stupid "classification". Which I sort of agree with (But we all know what each other means :) )
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how good you want to feel. I've eaten super clean foods (by my definition) and I feel awesome. Endless energy, no caffeine needed, feeling amazing, etc. People don't realize how good they can feel when they get rid of the foods that affect their body, mind, and attitude.

If you want, just experiment. For dinner, have a few slices of pizza and a big bowl of ice cream for dinner and see how you feel in the morning. Wait a few days and have the same foods you ate during the day when you had pizza and ice cream but instead of pizza and ice cream, eat a massive salad with your choice of protein (lean meat, beans, quinoa, etc) along with some tea and see how you feel the following morning.

Some people can get away with the whole "everything in moderation" when it comes to "junk food". Other people can't. Just like a former alcoholic can't just have a sip or a former cocaine addict can't just have one line.

So if someone eats mostly "clean" foods with some "dirty" treats thrown in here and there, then they will feel worse than someone who never has the treats?

Or are you thinking the ever-popular strawman theory that MFPers who lobby for IIFYM/flexible dieting eat nothing but doughnuts and Pop Tarts all day long with no regards to nutrition?

It's all about goals. Some people don't care too much about being and feeling the best they possibly can. They just want to lose weight. Will "dirty" treats really affect someone's performance and overall well-being? Who knows. They would have to experiment and find out.

• demoiselle2014
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    I suppose to extend that answer -- what about body composition? Scale aside, would a clean CI/CO eater look fit and active while a non clean CI/CO eater look frumpy and heavier?

I know that every person is different, etc. ( eg, I am lactose intolerant and any dairy would make me appear frumpy!) but generally, are the affects of a cleaner eater obvious externally?

If you are eating a diet that is lacking the nutrients you need, you may suffer health consequences which could be expressed in not looking healthy. If you are eating things that make you gassy or bloated or retain water, that could make you look puffier or heavier. If following a "clean" diet (however you define it) results in you having a better, more balanced diet, then you might look and feel better. But you don't have to eat specific foods to get that--just the right balance of nutrients for your body.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how good you want to feel. I've eaten super clean foods (by my definition) and I feel awesome. Endless energy, no caffeine needed, feeling amazing, etc. People don't realize how good they can feel when they get rid of the foods that affect their body, mind, and attitude.

If you want, just experiment. For dinner, have a few slices of pizza and a big bowl of ice cream for dinner and see how you feel in the morning. Wait a few days and have the same foods you ate during the day when you had pizza and ice cream but instead of pizza and ice cream, eat a massive salad with your choice of protein (lean meat, beans, quinoa, etc) along with some tea and see how you feel the following morning.

Some people can get away with the whole "everything in moderation" when it comes to "junk food". Other people can't. Just like a former alcoholic can't just have a sip or a former cocaine addict can't just have one line.

So if someone eats mostly "clean" foods with some "dirty" treats thrown in here and there, then they will feel worse than someone who never has the treats?

Or are you thinking the ever-popular strawman theory that MFPers who lobby for IIFYM/flexible dieting eat nothing but doughnuts and Pop Tarts all day long with no regards to nutrition?

It's all about goals. Some people don't care too much about being and feeling the best they possibly can. They just want to lose weight. Will "dirty" treats really affect someone's performance and overall well-being? Who knows. They would have to experiment and find out.

The answer is no, no they will not.

If someone eats healthily all day long, meets their macro- and micro-nutrient goals for the day, and lives an active and healthy lifestyle, a bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies at the end of the day is going to have zero effect on health or performance.
  • demoiselle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You could eat "clean "and still gain weight. In fact, i know a vegan that was severely over weight. Its about overall calories. Not what you eat. You could eat 1300 calories of lettuce or 1300 calories of cookies and as far as weight loss goes, it would be the same.
    I lost all my weight enjoying the foods i love, in moderation. Portion control. Calories in ~calories out. Eat at a deficit and youll lose weight. Eat at a surplus and you gain weight.
    The foods you choose are up to you. It makes no difference as far as weight loss goes.

I bet my stomach would look pretty distended if I managed to eat 1300 calories of lettuce in a day! That's gotta be a lot of bulk!

ETA: I'm new to the forum so I didn't realize this is a commonly covered topic that can turn into a trainwreck. . . I'll back away now.
  • slideaway1
    Options

On a personal level I agree with this. I physically feel different (usually the day after) between getting my Carb Source from something like a sweet potato (Complex Carb) and veg, to eating Pizza the night before. Some people might not be as sensitive to this though.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If I had a nickel for every "X vs Y" or "Is X bad?" threads ... There ought to be a sticky addressing this phenomenon.

They really demonstrate how the Diet(R) industry has instilled a kind of all-or-nothing thinking, where everything is simply good or bad, no further thought required.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    If I had a nickel for every "X vs Y" or "Is X bad?" threads ... There ought to be a sticky addressing this phenomenon.

They really demonstrate how the Diet(R) industry has instilled a kind of all-or-nothing thinking, where everything is simply good or bad, no further thought required.

All or nothing thinking is ingrained in people. It's instinct. The diet industry is just taking advantage of our predisposition toward classifying things as good or bad.
    Calories in/calories out for weight loss. Nutrient dense food for health. Pay attention to both. Ditch the word "clean."

I can't answer the OP better than this.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Courtesy of Rainbow Brite, CEO and Joy Spreader at Happy Rainbows and Unicorn Sparkles MFP Welcome Crew.
    il_214x170.757228269_f330.jpg

tumblr_n8pc2cisoq1slvquwo1_500.gif
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bowl of ice cream will have a positive effect on my health,.... it will make me feel happier
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options

If someone eats healthily all day long, meets their macro- and micro-nutrient goals for the day, and lives an active and healthy lifestyle, a bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies at the end of the day is going to have zero effect on health or performance.

@Alyssa_Is_LosingIt -I think it's pretty awesome you know how food affects every single person in this world. By the way, not everyone can just have one bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies. There is reason why some people need to eat "super clean", just like alcoholics can't have a sip and drug users can't just have one hit/line/etc.
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    On a personal level I agree with this. I physically feel different (usually the day after) between getting my Carb Source from something like a sweet potato (Complex Carb) and veg, to eating Pizza the night before. Some people might not be as sensitive to this though.

This. I agree that some people might not be as sensitive to this but I think those people are far and few. On the other hand, I have realized the higher quality of food someone eats, the more their body rejects lower quality foods. It's like their body doesn't want to tolerate lower quality foods and only wants the good stuff.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

@Alyssa_Is_LosingIt -I think it's pretty awesome you know how food affects every single person in this world. By the way, not everyone can just have one bowl of ice cream or a couple of cookies. There is reason why some people need to eat "super clean", just like alcoholics can't have a sip and drug users can't just have one hit/line/etc.
    slideaway1 wrote: »

This. I agree that some people might not be as sensitive to this but I think those people are far and few. On the other hand, I have realized the higher quality of food someone eats, the more their body rejects lower quality foods. It's like their body doesn't want to tolerate lower quality foods and only wants the good stuff.

"I think it's pretty awesome you know how food affects every single person in this world"-TrailBlazinMN