I get bulky from weights...

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    bc it's not like the bodyweight resistance and other stuff she did before was toxic, exactly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Ancient Chinese secret:

Eat less.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    ...i don't agree with insisting someone adopt those same ideals, though. if OP prefers herself one way and is healthy, why push it?
    I'm not sure exactly who your response was directed toward, but since you quoted me I'll respond.

I don't insist that anybody adopt any ideals. I couldn't care less what anybody else wants their body to look like. Get muscular. Get skinny. Get small and soft. Get lean and "toned". Or just stay fat. Doesn't make any difference to me. It's not my body - I don't have to live in it and I don't have to look at it in the mirror every day, so what anybody else chooses to do matters nothing to me.

My comments were directed toward the misconception (in this thread and countless others) that women can inadvertently put on a bunch of muscle and get hyooge while eating at a caloric deficit and doing what amounts to cardio exercise. It doesn't happen. Ain't gonna happen. You may get leaner as a result of losing bodyfat and your muscles may appear more defined; they may appear fuller/harder because of the water/glycogen filling them in response to the stimulus placed upon them by workouts. There may even be slight (very slight) "newbie gains" from a targeted strength training program - but you don't put on significant new muscle and get "bulky" as the result of strength training while in a caloric deficit. It's like buying enough bricks for a 20-foot long wall, then trying to build a 50-foot long wall out of them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    WE NEED MORE CALGON!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    My comments were directed toward the misconception (in this thread and countless others) that women can inadvertently put on a bunch of muscle and get hyooge while eating at a caloric deficit and doing what amounts to cardio exercise. It doesn't happen. Ain't gonna happen.

While true, what you have to take in to consideration is the prevalence of body dysmorphia paired with a preoccupation with being muscular.

They don't get big, but they believe that they do.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    While true, what you have to take in to consideration is the prevalence of body dysmorphia paired with a preoccupation with being muscular.

They don't get big, but they believe that they do.
    Probably the only logical explanation. Same thing as a 90-pound anorexic looking in the mirror and seeing a fat person, but different.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    ...i don't agree with insisting someone adopt those same ideals, though. if OP prefers herself one way and is healthy, why push it?
    I'm not sure exactly who your response was directed toward, but since you quoted me I'll respond.

I don't insist that anybody adopt any ideals. I couldn't care less what anybody else wants their body to look like. Get muscular. Get skinny. Get small and soft. Get lean and "toned". Or just stay fat. Doesn't make any difference to me. It's not my body - I don't have to live in it and I don't have to look at it in the mirror every day, so what anybody else chooses to do matters nothing to me.

My comments were directed toward the misconception (in this thread and countless others) that women can inadvertently put on a bunch of muscle and get hyooge while eating at a caloric deficit and doing what amounts to cardio exercise. It doesn't happen. Ain't gonna happen. You may get leaner as a result of losing bodyfat and your muscles may appear more defined; they may appear fuller/harder because of the water/glycogen filling them in response to the stimulus placed upon them by workouts. There may even be slight (very slight) "newbie gains" from a targeted strength training program - but you don't put on significant new muscle and get "bulky" as the result of strength training while in a caloric deficit. It's like buying enough bricks for a 20-foot long wall, then trying to build a 50-foot long wall out of them.

Ah sorry - maybe I meant to quote someone else, my apologies. Yes, you're right to clear the misconception. Though maybe I was responding to part of what you were saying, or maybe, the general attitude that women are idiots for falling for long/lean/cardio. I think I was trying to explain part of that.

Like, for a woman sort of still new to the idea, even a little post-workout 'pump' directly threatens a lifelong idea of self and beauty. And it takes a lot of reading and experience and learning to change your understanding of what that is (the 'pump', beauty, the self). Even when you do - maybe, the pump is still not a preferred (or possible) outcome.

This op sounded to me like she'd given her previous efforts a fairish shot, and just preferred one look over another.

edit: and I imagine your frustration is more just with the level of ignorance about certain facts; not saying that you specifically want to say that women are idiots, but it's a vibe that's strong on this board.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I lift weights.. I make sure I do more reps and lighter weight so I don't end up bulky. So my arms are solid yet slimmer than they have ever been.

I do fewer reps and heavy weights and I'm not bulky AT ALL. My arms are solid yet slim as well, but they are much stronger and better defined than they were when I did light weight and high reps. That worked alright for awhile, but I've seen much better results from lifting heavy.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I'm so glad you posted this. I have only heard/seen one side of the story so it's nice to hear the other side. :flowerforyou:

There's really only one side to a "bulking" story. If she's bulking, she's eating at surplus.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Ah sorry - maybe I meant to quote someone else, my apologies. Yes, you're right to clear the misconception. Though maybe I was responding to part of what you were saying, or maybe, the general attitude that women are idiots for falling for long/lean/cardio. I think I was trying to explain part of that.

Like, for a woman sort of still new to the idea, even a little post-workout 'pump' directly threatens a lifelong idea of self and beauty. And it takes a lot of reading and experience and learning to change your understanding of what that is (the 'pump', beauty, the self). Even when you do - maybe, the pump is still not a preferred (or possible) outcome.

This op sounded to me like she'd given her previous efforts a fairish shot, and just preferred one look over another.

edit: and I imagine your frustration is more just with the level of ignorance about certain facts; not saying that you specifically want to say that women are idiots, but it's a vibe that's strong on this board.

The OP sounds to me like she's confused, or a freak of nature. She said she got bulky, which is to say larger or more muscular, doing crossfit and eating at a deficit. This simply isn't possible. Bulking for a woman, from my understanding, is far from an easy process and takes serious work and FOOD, a surplus of food. Women do not accidentally get bulky.

If the OP got 'bulky' it wasn't lifting it was too much darn food. If she had an issue with the way her body looked it wasn't the crossfit, it was her diet.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    The same thing happened to me many years ago. I gained muscle bulk in my lower body through doing ballet as an adult. It was strange, because it's certainly not an exercise that you would expect to bulk you up! I put on a little weight, but only got bigger in the legs. It makes me think that some of us just have a natural tendency to put on a little muscle bulk when we first start doing strength-building exercise. Ballet is purely bodyweight exercises, if you're a woman, so it wasn't to do with lifting heavy weights at all. (However, ballet does involve quite a lot of strength). I don't believe I was eating at a deficit then (I didn't want to or need to lose weight at the time).

However, what happened was that the "bulking" seemed to reach a certain level, then stop. I didn't continue to grow and grow. I didn't continue to put on weight. I did work at trying to reduce the bulking, or "overdevelopment" as my teacher called it - back then, that meant wearing crotch-height legwarmers, although I can't remember why. So it's possible that some of that worked and stopped the muscle gain, but I think it's more likely that I just naturally stopped gaining after the first few pounds.

So maybe some of us do gain a little bulk, despite what people say, but in my experience, it's not linear - you don't keep gaining if you keep doing the exercise.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    The only thing that I can think of that would suggest that it isn't your food (which it probably is) is that after an intense lifting session women more so than men are prone to muscle inflammation due to repair and that can make you FEEL bulky and bigger.

I also go to Crossfit and for about 2 days after a WOD I weigh up to 5lbs more which goes away as soon as my aches do.

If you overall want a fit healthy body you just need to work through that and keep going 3 times a week, it won't always happen to the same degree (you make more micro-tears in the muscle fiber at the start of your training as you put more strain on your body as a beginner - usually!) but it will always happen to some degree.

If you really don't like it then stop going, but your body will not thank you.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    You didn't get "bulky" from the weight lifting you did at CrossFit. Most likely it was from eating more, like everyone else is saying, or it could be due to fluid retention, etc. as others have mentioned. Adding to the personal anecdotes--I've been lifting increasingly heavier weights in the lower rep ranges 3x a week since October and have greatly reduced in size all over.

If you prefer your all women's bodyweight strength training and boxing gym, go back to it. Surely there's no reason you must do CF, is there?

Measure/track all your food and eat at at a moderate deficit to lose whatever weight you've put on. Say goodbye to your "bulk".
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    i use weights to bulk up... i kinda like the way that works.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I'm just gonna leave this here...

Left - 155lbs. Size 12. Calorie deficit and moderate cardio.

Right - 155lbs. Size 6. Eating Maintenance, minimal cardio, and lifting heavy.

425992_10200558890993932_1811429064_n.jpg

:heart:
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Does this happen to anyone else? I love class/group style workouts. I used to belong to a women's only studio where all we did was body weight (lunges, squats, push ups, boxing) and I looked amazing. Then I bought into this heavy lifting craze and decided to join CrossFit. I loved it! But I got bulky and stalky looking. My clothes fit tighter and I just didn't look as lean or thin. Has this happened to anyone else? I think I may just dump weights and go back to body weight/resistance. Now I'm in between and have no idea what the best workouts are.

I'm short and curvy...maybe that's why?
    I'm the same way. I know everyone says women have a hard time bulking up but I can and I have proven it. Granted when I say bulking up it is by no means weight lifter competition bulking. But more like a high school foot ball player...especially my legs. The way I am built I have always been very muscular and for the most part loosing my "fat padding" has reviled those muscles. In an attempt to tone up I started trying to lift heavy and my already man legs turned into something not appropriate for a woman in my opinion. Just as a reference I was Maid of Honor in my BFF's wedding. When she took me to try on the dress she wanted me to wear which was short she had to change the entire bridal party attire because of the fact that "from the thigh down you look like a beefed up man."
    I have done some research on this and from what I have read my issue isn't that uncommon. I recently was told not to do any heavy lifting due to a heart condition and have been laying off of the weights. The legs are still manly in my opinion but not like they were the day I tried on the dress. If cross fit is making you do this and you don't like it don't do it anymore....But as far as everyone saying that weights don't buff women up maybe not most women but I assure you that some women do.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    if a dude said that he wanted to bulk up, everyone would tell him lifting was the way.
    just because the vast majority of women don't bulk up naturally, doesn't mean that this one hasn't.

she may have put on fat, water or muscle weight. they're all possible.
  • kimbtaylor1
    if a dude said that he wanted to bulk up, everyone would tell him lifting was the way.
    just because the vast majority of women don't bulk up naturally, doesn't mean that this one hasn't.

she may have put on fat, water or muscle weight. they're all possible.

Thank you for that....some of the comments were starting to irk me a little. I know from personal experience that it can happen. I just wish people would remember that everyone is different.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I'd say it's most likely that you're eating too much. This is why people "bulk" when they want to add muscle - it's not the training that is the main cause, it's the calorie intake. Record everything you eat/drink and you'll soon see for sure.

Either that who you have a very different view of what bulky is, in comparison to most others on here.
  • kimbtaylor1
    Like I said I'm not talking about competitive weight lifting bulky but bulky for a woman. I'm all for seeing that you are toned by I prefer not to have to up my dress size due to my arms or my pants size due to my legs (this is something I struggle with all the time). When I over eat I add fat not muscle...on my body those look very different I couldn't get those confused. It is just something I know that happens with me.

As far as logging...when I had the experience of my legs bulking up I was eating 1200 cals a day, no carbs, no sugars and I was very strict on that. I lost a lot of fat but in return I gained alot of bulk in my legs. Its just me, maybe its not norm but thats how it is.