Red meat is GOOD for you! How Americans got it wrong...

Options
Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
Great article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/how-americans-used-to-eat/371895/

"About one fifth of the U.S. population was over 50 years old in 1900. This number would seem to refute the familiar argument that people formerly didn’t live long enough for heart disease to emerge as an observable problem." "Ironically—or perhaps tellingly—the heart disease “epidemic” began after a period of exceptionally reduced meat eating."

And this gem: "Charles Dickens, when he visited [America], wrote that “no breakfast was breakfast” without a T-bone steak."

Friends: Eat your red meat guilt-free as part of a delicious whole foods diet -- #CleanEating 101. I suspect this global food sickness is due to the modern introduction of processed junk and absurd amounts of added sugar.

I'll just leave this here:

steak.jpg

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Them pesky 'muricans trying to stifle our 32nd amendment right to free steak.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Now I'm salivating...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Mmmm meat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't have the resources to eat steak for breakfast every day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Little known* fact People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone.

* totally made up
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    meat, grains, corn, soybeans, and legumes are GREAT "calorie reservoirs". These same foods cease to be as important in a situation of overabundant calories available.

ANYTHING that gives you calories is "healthy" in a situation with an otherwise lack of calories.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think the heart disease up tic coincides well a more sedentary lifestyle and the availability of cheap high fat foods.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Little known* fact People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone.

* totally made up

You just posted it on the interwebz...so now it's true.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The basic premise that we should eat like our ancestors is full of idealistic poppycock.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    LOL

"NINA TEICHOLZ"

Quacks gonna quack

"The justification for this idea, that our ancestors lived mainly on fruits, vegetables, and grains, comes mainly from the USDA “food disappearance data.” The “disappearance” of food is an approximation of supply; most of it is probably being eaten, but much is wasted, too. Experts therefore acknowledge that the disappearance numbers are merely rough estimates of consumption."

Then uses food disappearance data to support her points later

"About 175 pounds of meat per person per year—compared to the roughly 100 pounds of meat per year that an average adult American eats today. And of that 100 pounds of meat, about half is poultry—chicken and turkey—whereas until the mid-20th century, chicken was considered a luxury meat, on the menu only for special occasions (chickens were valued mainly for their eggs)."

Correlations are bad, unless they support my POV

"Ironically—or perhaps tellingly—the heart disease “epidemic” began after a period of exceptionally reduced meat eating. In other words, meat eating went down just before coronary disease took off."

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

* totally made up

"People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone."

-jemhh

ro6w5z9rlohu.png
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    That's ok.

I've never listened to Muricans to begin with.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

* totally made up

Now I need to figure out how to get paid in steak.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's not perfect, but still an interested read. Also I have a suspicion that all the fear of red meat is overstated and has more to do with unhealthy eating / lack of exercise and nutritional balance than it does red meat.

Note: I say that with absolutely zero background in nutritional science, or study in anything related to biology-related fields, and having read a total of 0 peer reviewed articles on the topic. The post is mostly for fun / discussion of the article :).
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    But those cows are farting a hole in the ozone. B)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

* totally made up

Now I need to figure out how to get paid in steak.

Write novels, apparently. It worked for Dickens.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    It's not perfect, but still an interested read. Also I have a suspicion that all the fear of red meat is overstated and has more to do with unhealthy eating / lack of exercise and nutritional balance than it does red meat.

Note: I say that with absolutely zero background in nutritional science, or study in anything related to biology-related fields, and having read a total of 0 peer reviewed articles on the topic. The post is mostly for fun / discussion of the article :).

I say, let them eat steak!

Or, more ideally, let ME eat steak.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ah, Dickens' love affair with American eating habits:
    In his travel book, American Notes, Dickens describes Mid-Westerners at dinner as "so many fellow animals", who "strip social sacraments of everything but the mere satisfaction of natural cravings".
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MEET OF COWE GOOOOOOOOOOOD!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

* totally made up

"People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone."

-jemhh

ro6w5z9rlohu.png

Now it's doubly true.

If it's a quote on a gif...that's 100% rock solid evidence of it's truth.
    -George Washington