Red meat is GOOD for you! How Americans got it wrong...

Options

Replies

• britishbourne1990
    britishbourne1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my ten cents worth, if you are going back to our roots, try deer meat. Ive eaten it for years. it is a staple, lean no additives, harvested on an annual basis and self renewing. Very healthy. Not for everyone i know as it is not readily available unless you are in a rural area.....being argumentative...lol :) but still true.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused what's going on in here right now.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    my ten cents worth, if you are going back to our roots, try deer meat. Ive eaten it for years. it is a staple, lean no additives, harvested on an annual basis and self renewing. Very healthy. Not for everyone i know as it is not readily available unless you are in a rural area.....being argumentative...lol :) but still true.

Where I live, deer herds have been thinning since 2009 (drivers complained and the government hired marksmen / markswomen? to go out and cull the herd). I go out every year, but the last time I was able to harvest a deer was 2012. Other hunters I've talked to in the area where I hunt have found the same thing. Of about 2 dozen hunters I saw in that area, 2 of them had actually gotten a deer. It doesn't sound like drivers will be happy until every last deer is gone.

*I drive about 25K-30K miles per year and have never hit a deer. Maybe drivers need to pay closer attention rather than blaming the deer.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    It's not perfect, but still an interested read. Also I have a suspicion that all the fear of red meat is overstated and has more to do with unhealthy eating / lack of exercise and nutritional balance than it does red meat.
    I suspect the bolded along with overconsumption are the root causes of obesity and obesity related diseases. Far more then any particular food the latest diet cult leader is telling is to avoid... clean or not, whatever the hell that means.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The sugar... whenever people reduce the fat and meat they substitute it with whole grain and carbs, which is sugar. Then insulin levels start to go crazy, fat starts to accumulate and they get sick and blame it on the fat and meat that they removed in the first place.
    This makes zero sense...

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

A little herp, a little derp, a little herpaderp.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD.

So you're saying if I avoid all those things...I'll live...FOREVER??

Besides being "killed dead" is there another way to be killed? Until I know for sure, I'll just eat like my grandparents, who lived to 87, 93, 95, and 96 respectively. All of them maintained normal weight. All of them ate meat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    my ten cents worth, if you are going back to our roots, try deer meat.

This is like the butter vs. olive oil or chard vs. spinach things. Why do you have to pick just one? I like venison AND beef (and lamb and chicken and fish and pork and I could continue). I also like lots of non-meat foods, of course.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

A little herp, a little derp, a little herpaderp.

But all the meat pictures make me happy.

Giggity. Giggity goooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Purty!

As the philosopher Chris Rock once said "If you live in a country where you have access to red meat - bite the *kitten* out of it!"
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    It's not perfect, but still an interested read. Also I have a suspicion that all the fear of red meat is overstated and has more to do with unhealthy eating / lack of exercise and nutritional balance than it does red meat.

Note: I say that with absolutely zero background in nutritional science, or study in anything related to biology-related fields, and having read a total of 0 peer reviewed articles on the topic. The post is mostly for fun / discussion of the article :).

So, why present it as fact and come up with a conclusion about what to eat? If you love red meat, you can easily find some person on the internet claiming it is the best and healthiest food ever. You can do the same for bananas, coconuts, milk and pretty much anything else, including drugs (yes, there are forums with people praising the long term effects of drugs, and I am not talking about marijuana only either). Either do your research (in medical reviewed studies) or just eat whatever you like, not caring if it is healthy or not. Do not try to justify your eating preferences using random internet sites.

I was actually just posting an interesting article from the Atlantic about the early American diet, and its evolution and connection to heart disease. The "findings" (though some of it is questionable) does show some serious contradictions with things we just assume are correct.

I don't need the internetz to justify eating habits. I'm convinced a balanced diet of whole foods with lots of vegetables, mixed proteins, fruits, and limited grains (and even some dairy!) is healthy through research and personal experience. This post pushes back on the red meat "boogey-man" theory, yes, but includes some humor and history to chew on as well.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ^^It was nice knowing the two of you.

RIP, lemurcat12 and jemhh. Vaya con dios.

We are going down in a blaze of glory.

diamond-grill-marks.png[img][/img]

I am led to believe, by one Charles Dickens, that eating beef will express my love for the USA.

Given that this is that important period between Flag Day and the 4th, I believe this is something I must do.

(Dickens' other comments about the USA shall be ignored, for now.)

Lol. Cute up the Neil Diamond...

patriotic-steak.jpg

'murica

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This post pushes back on the red meat "boogey-man" theory, yes, but includes some humor and history to chew on as well.

That's the spirit in which I took this thread.

I don't think reducing red meat is why the American diet is not so great or why Americans are fatter now, but it's a fun thread, especially with the Ornish stuff added to the mix.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    In 1900, they didn't have internet either, so why you posting this on it?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.

Ornish and Campbell's China Study to fight paleoism. It is like Alien Versus Predator, no matter who wins that argument we lose.

Extra fun facts round
    We are apes, not just evolved from apes
    As others said, chimps are one of our nearest relatives (Bonobos being equally close), and they use meat as a status symbol
    Even Gorillas can't be pure herbivores (technically they're usually called frugivores) as they don't ruminate - they have to eat raw eggs or feces to get vitamin B12
    All mammals can digest dairy to some extant, that's part of being mammals
    We didn't have body part of eating meat, but we have evolutionary adaptions to make eating it work better - we have the unique condition of evolving external digestion, you probably call it cooking.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.

Ornish and Campbell's China Study to fight paleoism. It is like Alien Versus Predator, no matter who wins that argument we lose.

Unfortunately for the argument thinking a hypothetical person would just die off and be gone because they eat meat only would be a waste of time (made a little leap there, yeah, that wasn't in the original quote). The human body would be efficient enough to keep this person alive long enough to procreate, at which point this could make them "win", and even if they didn't live much longer, if the procreation was enough across a meat eating population, they could "win" by out reproducing other humans.

This is why biologically, the modern obesity "epidemic" and its downstream effects don't mean **** until they start interfering with out ability to "thrive". For the most part we are all staying healthy through middle age, and that's more than enough...

Nature doesn't view human "success" the same way civilized society does...nature only cares about who passes on their genes.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Say whaaaat??! :D
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

You came here just to say this? Well, welcome aboard!
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Either eat the meat or don't.

It's not serious.

At all.

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I just ate a pound of grass fed hamburger and it only fulfills about half my iron requirements for the day. I was told not to eat red meat all the time because of the build up of excess iron causes heart disease. Lies I tell you.