Red meat is GOOD for you! How Americans got it wrong...

Options

Replies

• JenStasio29
    JenStasio29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While beef may not be as hazardous to our health as we were led to believe, it is certainly hazardous to the environment in the quantities we currently eat it. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meat-and-environment/
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Science "journalists" and gurus pushing agendas are dealt with harshly..
    1402417576000-Unicorn-jacket.jpg
    -The Happy Rainbows and Unicorn Sparkles MFP Welcome Crew

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ^^It was nice knowing the two of you.

RIP, lemurcat12 and jemhh. Vaya con dios.

We are going down in a blaze of glory.

diamond-grill-marks.png[img][/img]
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    While beef may not be as hazardous to our health as we were led to believe, it is certainly hazardous to the environment in the quantities we currently eat it. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meat-and-environment/
    Also think how bad the environmental impact of an American population actually eating a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits would be...

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Inuits have been living on high fat diets for centuries with very low heart attack rate, supposedly from a few random internet quotes and a metric ton of articles on The Googles...

Dinner last night. Mmmmm...... Just a smidge over 13 ounces.

k6jwm0rzp48s.jpg

• bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! Maybe humans should just off ourselves so that poor, weak Mother Earth wont be victimized any more... Or maybe our world governments know whats best for everyone - they should make new laws to tell everyone how to live... because thats worked so well so far.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The basic premise that we should eat like our ancestors is full of idealistic poppycock.
    Prior to refrigeration, I am sure you would run out of cows before winter, if you had a t-bone for breakfast everyday.

This is very interesting. I have always been fascinated by "the ring of fire" around the equator. The lack of refrigeration or just cooler temperatures influenced the use of lots spices and the related spice trade. I never thought about how it, refrigeration, could have effected our diet and heart health. While it must have an effect it may not have suddenly appeared due to ice harvesting in northern climates.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.

Chimps, the closest human relative, are omnivores that eat meat, including other primates.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I am led to believe, by one Charles Dickens, that eating beef will express my love for the USA.

Given that this is that important period between Flag Day and the 4th, I believe this is something I must do.

(Dickens' other comments about the USA shall be ignored, for now.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am led to believe, by one Charles Dickens, that eating beef will express my love for the USA.

Given that this is that important period between Flag Day and the 4th, I believe this is something I must do.

Lol. Cute up the Neil Diamond...

patriotic-steak.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Lol. Cute up the Neil Diamond...

patriotic-steak.jpg

Love it!

Also, as I bite into my meat, I shall proclaim:

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.

Chimps, the closest human relative, are omnivores that eat meat, including other primates.
    Don't burst their bubble, they'll come back and say you're mean.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    Great article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/how-americans-used-to-eat/371895/

"About one fifth of the U.S. population was over 50 years old in 1900. This number would seem to refute the familiar argument that people formerly didn’t live long enough for heart disease to emerge as an observable problem." "Ironically—or perhaps tellingly—the heart disease “epidemic” began after a period of exceptionally reduced meat eating."

And this gem: "Charles Dickens, when he visited [America], wrote that “no breakfast was breakfast” without a T-bone steak."

Friends: Eat your red meat guilt-free as part of a delicious whole foods diet -- #CleanEating 101. I suspect this global food sickness is due to the modern introduction of processed junk and absurd amounts of added sugar.

I'll just leave this here:

steak.jpg

:D As the owner of a butcher shop... "high five" to the OP! I love my red meat...and every type of meat haha
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't meant to eat meat then why do I have all of these really great sharp teeth...
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The basic premise that we should eat like our ancestors is full of idealistic poppycock.
    Prior to refrigeration, I am sure you would run out of cows before winter, if you had a t-bone for breakfast everyday.

Exactly right.
    Also before Chicago became the cowschwitz slaughter capital of the world, a family cow was slaughtered once a year (winter time) and was processed to various chacruterie parts etc. to last the family for an entire year.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Doctor says one thing.

Internet stranger who googled says something else.

What to do?

Either one could be right, but for now, I'll stick with the doctor.
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    Options

There is a 100% chance you are going to die anyways; so why not die saving the ozone from cow farts.
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    But those cows are farting a hole in the ozone. B)

I am doing my part to save the ozone.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat because I don't like it, not because I think there is something wrong with it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    It's not perfect, but still an interested read. Also I have a suspicion that all the fear of red meat is overstated and has more to do with unhealthy eating / lack of exercise and nutritional balance than it does red meat.

Note: I say that with absolutely zero background in nutritional science, or study in anything related to biology-related fields, and having read a total of 0 peer reviewed articles on the topic. The post is mostly for fun / discussion of the article :).

So, why present it as fact and come up with a conclusion about what to eat? If you love red meat, you can easily find some person on the internet claiming it is the best and healthiest food ever. You can do the same for bananas, coconuts, milk and pretty much anything else, including drugs (yes, there are forums with people praising the long term effects of drugs, and I am not talking about marijuana only either). Either do your research (in medical reviewed studies) or just eat whatever you like, not caring if it is healthy or not. Do not try to justify your eating preferences using random internet sites.