Red meat is GOOD for you! How Americans got it wrong...

Options

Replies

• patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs for breakfast...whats not to like...
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So this is what I have read on the topic.... Anything in moderation is okay, including red meat, but you should opt for higher quality meats from grass-fed sources.
  • Lkldcatlady
    Lkldcatlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD. Yes, we should eat like our ancestors - the apes we evolved from. Humans are herbivores and no part of our bodies are made to digest mean or dairy. Paleo and anything similar is pop culture and a fad. You have to look at proven scientific evidence. Read The Spectrum by Ornish or The China Study by Campbell. There is a reason that people in remote places in Japan and Africa (where they subsist on potatoes or rice) live to be over 100 years old. I don't want to be argumentative, I just think it's really important to research all options and go with the one that has the most evidence behind it.

There's always gotta be one.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD.

So you're saying if I avoid all those things...I'll live...FOREVER??

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's the full meal description:
    At eight o’clock, the shelves being taken down and put away and the tables joined together, everybody sat down to the tea, coffee, bread, butter, salmon, shad, liver, steak, potatoes, pickles, ham, chops, black-puddings, and sausages, all over again. Some were fond of compounding this variety, and having it all on their plates at once. As each gentleman got through his own personal amount of tea, coffee, bread, butter, salmon, shad, liver, steak, potatoes, pickles, ham, chops, black-puddings, and sausages, he rose up and walked off. When everybody had done with everything, the fragments were cleared away: and one of the waiters appearing anew in the character of a barber, shaved such of the company as desired to be shaved; while the remainder looked on, or yawned over their newspapers. Dinner was breakfast again, without the tea and coffee; and supper and breakfast were identical.
  • fernandaBush
    fernandaBush Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The sugar... whenever people reduce the fat and meat they substitute it with whole grain and carbs, which is sugar. Then insulin levels start to go crazy, fat starts to accumulate and they get sick and blame it on the fat and meat that they removed in the first place.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Yikes! With all due respect to your opinion, I think you should do some research. Dr. Ornish has over 30 years of scientific evidence that animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and processed fat and sugar will KILL YOU DEAD.

She doesn't have time to explain such complex issues to us mere mortals.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

100% of people that drink water will die.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The sugar... whenever people reduce the fat and meat they substitute it with whole grain and carbs, which is sugar. Then insulin levels start to go crazy, fat starts to accumulate and they get sick and blame it on the fat and meat that they removed in the first place.

But protein is highly insulinogenic as well...

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

5c980772cda3fc42aa90b41b1b880ee02cfe3714fff8fdef0b988b7dcfd44dd6.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

First post and China Study?

Lol lol lol.

Eat like apes. Check.
    "Science". Check.
    Centenarian BS. Check.

Who has the Bingo prize this week?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

And don't forget the part where aliens land and make us all their slaves in their limestone quarries on Planet Xwhpspw

(also little known fact, Aliens don't use vowels)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Wrong country, but it reminds me of that show SuperSizers Go -- anyone seen that?

It does not inspire you to think that our ancestors ate in a super healthy way, but granted I haven't seen them do a paleo episode yet. (The Victorian one was kind of horrifying and the Restoration one gave me a new appreciation for the Puritans. Apparently they liked vegetables. Not taking the program for gospel, but I also enjoy reading old cookbooks.)

Best insane meal description I've ever seen was the dinner at Trimalchio's in the Satyricon.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

She doesn't have time to explain such complex issues to us mere mortals.

Dang....that was going to be very helpful in my attempt at immortality.

Guess I'll have to keep looking for the Sorcerer's Stone.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Some of us don't have the resources to eat steak for breakfast every day.

Little known* fact People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone.

* totally made up

You just posted it on the interwebz...so now it's true.

"People say that Dickens was paid by the word for his writings. He was actually paid by the t-bone."

-jemhh

ro6w5z9rlohu.png

Off to pinterest to figure out how to turn this into wall art. Or maybe create a bento box meal with rice leaves and the lettering fashioned out of kale strips.

Who am I kidding? I'm eating t-bone for lunch, not rice and kale.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, I'm totally changing my lunch to include beef.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ^^It was nice knowing the two of you.

RIP, lemurcat12 and jemhh. Vaya con dios.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The basic premise that we should eat like our ancestors is full of idealistic poppycock.
    Prior to refrigeration, I am sure you would run out of cows before winter, if you had a t-bone for breakfast everyday.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

At first I thought you were kidding, but now I'm worried that you're serious.