How do you get that gap between your thighs

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what the facination with the gap is. Women are suppose to have curves and those curves don't just mean T&A!! To the ones I'm about to offend please forgive me! But to me the women who has this gap look like little boys sorry if I offended anyone. I know we all have our own ideal of what we want to look like but I hope that ideal is realistic for your body. I am 5'3'' with a natually muscular build. I will never have long lean dancers legs. Sure I can get my legs lean but they will never look like someone who is 5'11'' with a natually lean build...its just impossible. Please ladies make yourself the best you, you can be.....not the closest thing to what magazines say you should be.

<--- has a thigh gap, and curves. Measurements are 36, 25, 36.

Your comment that I look like a little boy is completely unnecessary.

Women who don't have thigh gaps are beautiful. Women who do have thigh gaps are beautiful too. There's nothing wrong with having one assuming it's just based on bone structure and nothing unhealthy was done to achieve it. I got mine when I hit 140 lbs at 5'4", so it's not like I was starving myself or even trying to get one.

I'm sorry that my opinion offended you. But that is all it was my opinion! I know too many ladies who try to achive the gap and always end up discouraged because they are not able to have it. If it is what you like, want and can attain it go for it. I just see too many women look down on themselves because they were born "wrong" in the eyes of magazines etc.

Just for proof that this is all a genetics game I'm an inch shorter than you with very similar measurments and the only way I have it is if I lean forward.

But do you not understand that you're doing the exact same thing but in reverse? I didn't try to get mine, it's genetics. You're making it sound like women who have one look "wrong" even though there's nothing we can do about it.

No, what I said was IN MY OPINION I see it that way. If you have it and you like it more power to you. I just hate seeing women try so hard and get discouraged when they can't! I personally don't like the way they look and TO ME it doesn't look like MY ideal of what I want to be. So with that lets just agree to disagree.

So you seriously do not understand how what you're saying is just as bad as what you're complaining about?

Example one: girls without thigh gaps look fat.

Example two: girls with thigh gaps look like 12-year-old boys.

You don't see that these are both offensive statements for the exact same reason? You're tearing people down for something they can't control.

Ok....let me say this. If my opinion offends you stop reading it. You are not going to change my mind on it. Just like I wouldn't change your mind on something you think. I don't appologize for how I think. Why should I? Women have constantly been told that barbie doll figures are the way to be and I have never yet heard an apology from the media or Matel nor do I expect to hear it. So if this "manly" woman's thoughts make you cringe I truely am sorry for the offense but not the thought.

I didn't call you manly. If I did I'd be doing the same thing you're doing.

I don't expect you to change your opinion, but I do hope you'll think about some of the points made in this thread and how vocalizing that opinion in the way you have done here may be just as damaging to young girls as the media bias you dislike so much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Even when I was in the best shape of my life I didnt have it, any ideas?
    Blame your parents.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Stating that you're more attracted to less hairy men is not the same as saying men with hairy chests are disgusting. Even if it's what you think, most people have a filter between their brains and mouths/fingers that prevents them from saying mean, hurtful things to others.

Stop making sense!:flowerforyou:

Agreed. We don't make sense here, this is MFP. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Stating that you're more attracted to less hairy men is not the same as saying men with hairy chests are disgusting. Even if it's what you think, most people have a filter between their brains and mouths/fingers that prevents them from saying mean, hurtful things to others.

Stop making sense!:flowerforyou:

Agreed. We don't make sense here, this is MFP. :flowerforyou:
    :tongue:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ^ This. Focus on what you have and what you can achieve and do not waste time pining after the impossible. You can file this under that category of "things girls and young women stress about that only they notice and men are oblivious to."
    I have cardio-vascular problems and on top of that I am four months into my stroke recovery. I really like your comment 'focus on what you have and what you can achieve and do not waste time pining after the impossible'

Very sensible advice and it's what I follow.

Good luck on your stroke recovery. My father had his at 37 and recovered fully. My great uncle was debilitated by one, and I have a friend who was also hit in his late 30s and was in great shape at the time. He's walking and functioning quite well, though his speech is still affected. Be good to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Aaaahhh - looks like ignorant people making body shaming statements are still alive and kicking on MFP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To elaborate... thigh gaps are largely down to body structure. Most anyone with wide hips will end up with a thigh gap once they've slimmed down a bit.

If Jessica Ennis and Beyonce don't need a thigh gap....neither do you. No one ACTUALLY cares about thigh gaps. You don't look at someone and go 'she's hot. but im not interested cos she hasn't got a thigh gap'.

Spoiler: a lot of photos taken of girls showing off their 'thigh gap' is actually just them leaning forwards a bit. Try it. Stand in front of a mirror, tilt your upper body forwards slightly. Tada....now you have your 'thigh gap'

^^this.

If you are a healthy body weight, whether you have one or not is irrelevant and genetics. If you naturally have a thigh gap at a healthy weight, it will be attractive. If you naturally do not have one, that will also be attractive. The details (muscularity, level of BF% etc) is personal taste.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Something I try to remember as I go through life...
    When the general consensus is that I'm being an a-hole the problem is always me. Not them.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I heard having a lot of slamming sex helps.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm when i was growing up i absolutely HATED my "thigh gap". I thought i walked funny. It was just another horrible body flaw. Kids used to tease me that they could see through my legs and they couldn't hide behind me when playing hide n go seek. Funny how things change. I still hate my "thigh gap" though. And yes, it's caused by having wide hips.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Then you don't need it! It really depends on the shape of your hips and the only way that I can think of to widen your hips is childbirth...but don't go getting pregnant just to change your bonestructure!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why my comment was deleted. It was factually true, all thighs gap if there is something between them.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? Her very detailed description of the foot binding process made me nearly throw up.

I have...and it was grotesque.

Us women have done, or endured, all sorts of totally mad things in the pursuit of what was fashionable for bodies at the time. IMO the most important thing is being fit and healthy - nobody, but nobody has the perfect body and if we women spend our time worrying that we don't then we let life slide by in unhappiness and frustration.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To elaborate... thigh gaps are largely down to body structure. Most anyone with wide hips will end up with a thigh gap once they've slimmed down a bit.

If Jessica Ennis and Beyonce don't need a thigh gap....neither do you. No one ACTUALLY cares about thigh gaps. You don't look at someone and go 'she's hot. but im not interested cos she hasn't got a thigh gap'.

Spoiler: a lot of photos taken of girls showing off their 'thigh gap' is actually just them leaning forwards a bit. Try it. Stand in front of a mirror, tilt your upper body forwards slightly. Tada....now you have your 'thigh gap'

^^this.

If you are a healthy body weight, whether you have one or not is irrelevant and genetics. If you naturally have a thigh gap at a healthy weight, it will be attractive. If you naturally do not have one, that will also be attractive. The details (muscularity, level of BF% etc) is personal taste.
    Exactly.

Before MFP I never really paid much attention to whether someone had a thigh gap and never thought about it as something to strive for, beyond just wanting my thighs small enough not to chafe in the summer while wearing a dress, which is a comfort thing, not a vanity thing.

Because it gets talked about so much here, I find myself noticing them more on other women. I've seen a lot of women with thigh gaps who have beautiful (and even curvy) bodies and I've seen a lot of women with no thigh gap who have beautiful bodies.

I have big boobs. Short of surgery, I can't do much about them. I have learned to work with them and almost love them. That doesn't mean I have to tear down women whose boobs are smaller or bigger than my own just to feel better about what DNA gave me.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Have you ever read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? Her very detailed description of the foot binding process made me nearly throw up.

I have...and it was grotesque.

Us women have done, or endured, all sorts of totally mad things in the pursuit of what was fashionable for bodies at the time. IMO the most important thing is being fit and healthy - nobody, but nobody has the perfect body and if we women spend our time worrying that we don't then we let life slide by in unhappiness and frustration.

I agree with this. It's taken me 45 years of abuse to finally decide to step off the " i hate my body" downward spiral. The problem is climbing back up to the top. It's a long hard road. The self shaming that a lot of us have done to ourselves over the years is downright senseless and boggles my mind to think of it. I have a 23 year old daughter whom I see headed in the same direction. What a shame that in this beautiful world all some of us can think of is how we don't measure up to society's standards.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    She's gorgeous, intelligent, and has a well toned body, but she doesn't have a thigh gap so the deal is off.

-says no man ever
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I will never have a thigh gap due to my structure and I am okay with that
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I have removed quite a few posts in this topic that violated our guidelines for body shaming, attacking, or trolling.

I respectfully request that people review our guidelines and carefully consider that in our forums it is not acceptable to say negative things about another person's body or body type; it is not acceptable to attack a person for statements that violate our guidelines, but rather we request you report posts so the next available moderator can review the situation; it is not acceptable to further derail a thread by trolling simply to add to the drama for amusement.

I have not locked this topic in the hopes that the respectful discussions happening here can continue.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well I for one am grateful that I have the thighs I have now with no thigh gaps because they can still climb stairs like a bada$$ and fill my jeans nicely.

I was also grateful for the thighs I had in high school that had the thigh gap because they could jump me to the top of a mount, and also make really good dance moves for my routines.

I will also be grateful for whatever thighs I end up with at goal weight even if it's thigh gap, no thigh gap, or one side thigh gap, one side not, I DON'T CARE, I'm just happy I can effing walk after not being able to for a couple of years. So to me my thighs are beautiful, strong, and awe-worthy just because they work and don't have a dam sciatica pain going down them anymore. I LOVE MY THIGHS! Thank you Dr. Anonymous-neuro-surgeon for fixing me and my thighs and back. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • tinylittlelove
    tinylittlelove Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Put 1 chicken thigh on one side of your plate.
    Step 2. Put another on the other side.

Then enjoy with fries or healthier options, whatever floats your boat.