Doing one hour workout daily but still not lossing weight

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    To much sugar will prevent you from losing weight. It's a proven fact that fructose immediately triggers fat production and storage in adults, teenagers are temporarily immune until the develop insulin resistance then fructose make them fat also. You still have to eat at a deficit but without fructose in you system you will quickly start burning fat. I lost 108 lbs doing this. Don't listen to people who defend eating/drinking sugar as just another calorie, It will screw up your metabolism and make you sick and fat sooner than later. Sugar is a treat, not something we can tolerate morning noon and night.
    It is one thing to post something because you believe it.
    It is another thing to cut and paste the same sensationalized post across threads in order to promote your POV.
    It is a third bigger something to be an *kitten* and deliberately post something you know is intentionally sensationalized in a thread started by someone who obviously does not yet have the firmest grasp on their nutrition and what they are doing.
    Business doing so bad you're trying to drum up recruits amongst those who sound unsure about what they're doing?
    Feel free to post your "proven fact" sources.
    Congratulations on the 108lbs you lost, by the way.
    Bet you ate at a deficit to achieve that!

What PAV said.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    rashmi9425 wrote: »
    Currenty my weight is 62..
    Morning -oats, slim milk
    Lunch- dosa or one bowl brown rice
    Snacks- apple
    Dinner- 3 roti or brown rice or millet
    M i eating less???

Honestly, you probably are not eating enough. Where is your protein?! Where are your veggies?!

Here is an example of what I eat. I'm on 1800-2000 calories a day, and I'm losing.

Breakfast- 2 eggs, a cup of berries, a slice of PB toast
    snack- protein shake and banana
    lunch- ground beef, rice, cup of green beans
    snack-- 6 slices of turkey lunch meat, apple slices, granola bar.
    dinner--2 cups of romaine, a few grape tomatoes, a small amount of Asiago cheese, and a small grilled chicken breast.

I lift heavy weights 2x a week, do cardio 3x a week, and assist in a group exercise class 1x a week.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice, i will start weighing wat i eat. Nd start eating more..i think i m starving my body..try to be paitent..thanks all..nxt week will post my progress..

I doubt that you are starving, but hey, if that's what you believe. You know your body better than anyone else.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    In MFP, sometime im not able to meet goal..bcoz my intake is less than 1200cal
    thats your problem,you need to eat more!
    Eating more is unlikely to increase weight loss.

It sounds like a logging or medical issue because just about anyone other than, perhaps, older, sedentary, thin women will lose weight on 1200 calories a day.

I disagree. I was eating 1600-1800 calories and the scale wouldn't move. At the advice of my trainer/coach, I bumped up to 2200 calories for a month...and the weight started falling off.

If you consistently under fuel your body, your metabolism will slow down. This makes it harder to lose weight. For most of the population, that means eating at LEAST at BMR to keep your metabolism working correctly. For me, at 189 lbs, that means eating no less than 1800 calories a day (my TDEE is around 2400).

• atypicalsmith
    Options

It sounds like a logging or medical issue because just about anyone other than, perhaps, older, sedentary, thin women will lose weight on 1200 calories a day.

I disagree. I was eating 1600-1800 calories and the scale wouldn't move. At the advice of my trainer/coach, I bumped up to 2200 calories for a month...and the weight started falling off.

If you consistently under fuel your body, your metabolism will slow down. This makes it harder to lose weight. For most of the population, that means eating at LEAST at BMR to keep your metabolism working correctly. For me, at 189 lbs, that means eating no less than 1800 calories a day (my TDEE is around 2400).

This is SO wrong. Did you hire your trainer/coach before of after 1600-1800 calories?
  • rashmi9425
    rashmi9425 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Today i weighted everything..nd i come to kno i m nt eating much , 800 cal i was consuming..so today i increased my calories in take...thanks to all for ur suggestions...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Today i weighted everything..nd i come to kno i m nt eating much , 800 cal i was consuming..so today i increased my calories in take...thanks to all for ur suggestions...

<walks away>
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

<walks away>

Can I come too?
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

This is SO wrong. Did you hire your trainer/coach before of after 1600-1800 calories?

The 1600-1800 calories just kind of naturally occurred due to my work schedule (I was working through lunch). I had been eating at that level for a while when I hired my trainer/coach. Although he does not have certification to give dietary advice, he made suggestions as a friend. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it for a month and see what happened.

And how is it wrong to eat at or above BMR? BMR is the calories you burn just with basic functions like heart beat and breathing.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Hi i m doing one hour aerobics daily. In morning i loss around 500gm weight but till evening i gain back all..what should i do..i an not even eating high calorie food

Honestly, you only have about 2lbs to lose before you are at the top of your healthy weight range.

• Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

The 1600-1800 calories just kind of naturally occurred due to my work schedule (I was working through lunch). I had been eating at that level for a while when I hired my trainer/coach. Although he does not have certification to give dietary advice, he made suggestions as a friend. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it for a month and see what happened.

And how is it wrong to eat at or above BMR? BMR is the calories you burn just with basic functions like heart beat and breathing.

I have been in a similar situation to this. My weight loss plateaued for 2 months and my dietician (I had regular appointments at the hospital with her at the time as I had recently been diagnosed with Coeliac disease) suggested I increase my calories by 2-300 a day for 2 weeks and then cut them again. I did and I lost 10lbs in those 2 weeks and continued to lose steadily afterwards when I dropped my calorie goal again.

I was in a similar situation recently and the same thing worked again. I don't believe it's to do with metabolism slowing down but more a case of I move more when I'm eating a bit extra (I just feel I have more energy) and maybe a bit of water weight dropping off. Regardless of why, it works.

I would stress though that I am very thorough with my logging, weigh absolutely everything and track every morsel I put in my mouth. And even at my increased calorie goal I was still in a deficit. I wouldn't be comfortable increasing my calorie intake if I wasn't 100% sure of how much I was eating.

Just my personal experience. :)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    To much sugar will prevent you from losing weight. It's a proven fact that fructose immediately triggers fat production and storage in adults, teenagers are temporarily immune until the develop insulin resistance then fructose make them fat also. You still have to eat at a deficit but without fructose in you system you will quickly start burning fat. I lost 108 lbs doing this. Don't listen to people who defend eating/drinking sugar as just another calorie, It will screw up your metabolism and make you sick and fat sooner than later. Sugar is a treat, not something we can tolerate morning noon and night.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read today. Please post your "proven facts" for this.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    **walks away from this thread too***
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I have been in a similar situation to this. My weight loss plateaued for 2 months and my dietician (I had regular appointments at the hospital with her at the time as I had recently been diagnosed with Coeliac disease) suggested I increase my calories by 2-300 a day for 2 weeks and then cut them again. I did and I lost 10lbs in those 2 weeks and continued to lose steadily afterwards when I dropped my calorie goal again.

I was in a similar situation recently and the same thing worked again. I don't believe it's to do with metabolism slowing down but more a case of I move more when I'm eating a bit extra (I just feel I have more energy) and maybe a bit of water weight dropping off. Regardless of why, it works.

I would stress though that I am very thorough with my logging, weigh absolutely everything and track every morsel I put in my mouth. And even at my increased calorie goal I was still in a deficit. I wouldn't be comfortable increasing my calorie intake if I wasn't 100% sure of how much I was eating.

Just my personal experience. :)

This is different to what that other poster is saying though. You were losing, stalled, upped your calories, then went back to a deficit. What you did was to counter metabolic adaptation, and it's recommended to do so if you've been dieting a while.

What the other poster is asserting is some nonsense about BMR, which is irrelevant for weight loss.

It's not wrong to eat at or above one's BMR if one chooses, but it's not necessary to stay within that limit, either.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    While it's certainly possible for your weight loss to stall while eating at a deficit if you're under a lot of stress or not getting enough sleep, or even on certain medications (even otc), the odds are that you're probably not eating at a deficit. And the deficit is what causes weight loss.

Increasing your activity and fitness level will improve your health, but not necessarily result in weight loss. However, inches...
  • DaliaMaria1173
    DaliaMaria1173 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Did I read that right...are you weighing yourself morning and night? Please don't do that. Weight fluctuates day to day and within the day (water retention, etc.). Weighing once a week is more than enough.

Aerobics are good, but you don't need to kill yourself on an hour a day of aeobics. They won't make that much of a difference. If you want to increase your metabolism and burn some fat, you need to build muscle. Strength training is a better use of some of that time. Yes, you'll gain muscle weight, but you'll end up with less body fat, leaner, slimmer, and looking better in your clothes.

And, as the others said, accurate logging is important.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That is never the answer to losing weight.

Chances are she is underestimating calories in and overestimating calories out.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thanks all..i will try to eat more..then see result..hoping for best..

No, if you're truly not losing weight, you need to eat less. You are eating more calories than you think you are. You can remedy this by figuring out where the errors are in your logging habits, if you log at all, and weighing food and exercising and ensuring you are using correct entries.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That is never the answer to losing weight.

Chances are she is underestimating calories in and overestimating calories out.

Yep, and yep.

:drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    Just to build on the great advice you've gotten, please keep one thing in mind: When you regularly eat below your BMR, your body goes into starvation mode. It won't let go of calories if it thinks there's going to be a lack of them coming in. Find out your BMR and NEVER eat below it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

No, it doesn't. That's a myth.