Doing one hour workout daily but still not lossing weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rashmi9425 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your advice, i will start weighing wat i eat. Nd start eating more..i think i m starving my body..try to be paitent..thanks all..nxt week will post my progress..

You're missing part of the point.

There is no such thing as starvation mode when it comes to those of us who are dieting.

If you're not losing weight, you need to eat less food. Once you start weighing your food and logging everything you eat, you will undoubtedly see that you were eating more than you thought you were.

Give it more than a week. Weight loss is not linear and you won't lose weight every week, and you might even gain some. That's natural fluctuations. I say weigh all your food, log everything you eat and all your exercise, and make sure you stay within your calorie goals, then come back in 4-6 weeks and let us know how it's going. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    In MFP, sometime im not able to meet goal..bcoz my intake is less than 1200cal
    thats your problem,you need to eat more!
    Eating more is unlikely to increase weight loss.

It sounds like a logging or medical issue because just about anyone other than, perhaps, older, sedentary, thin women will lose weight on 1200 calories a day.

I disagree. I was eating 1600-1800 calories and the scale wouldn't move. At the advice of my trainer/coach, I bumped up to 2200 calories for a month...and the weight started falling off.

If you consistently under fuel your body, your metabolism will slow down. This makes it harder to lose weight. For most of the population, that means eating at LEAST at BMR to keep your metabolism working correctly. For me, at 189 lbs, that means eating no less than 1800 calories a day (my TDEE is around 2400).

But, you were still in a deficit. With the extra fuel to your body, no doubt you were able to put more energy into your daily movement, which may include exercise, therefore you lost weight.

The only magic in raising your calories is (1) if you stay in a deficit, you still lose weight at a slower rate and (2) if you raise calories to TDEE you maintain weight, or (3) if you raise your calories to more than your TDEE you gain weight.

In other words, there is no magic to raising your calories to lose weight. It's all about calories in/out and science. Unfortunately, none of us gets to be a special snowflake. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Today i weighted everything..nd i come to kno i m nt eating much , 800 cal i was consuming..so today i increased my calories in take...thanks to all for ur suggestions...

<walks away>

<follows>

• SLLRunner
    Options

It sounds like a logging or medical issue because just about anyone other than, perhaps, older, sedentary, thin women will lose weight on 1200 calories a day.

I disagree. I was eating 1600-1800 calories and the scale wouldn't move. At the advice of my trainer/coach, I bumped up to 2200 calories for a month...and the weight started falling off.

If you consistently under fuel your body, your metabolism will slow down. This makes it harder to lose weight. For most of the population, that means eating at LEAST at BMR to keep your metabolism working correctly. For me, at 189 lbs, that means eating no less than 1800 calories a day (my TDEE is around 2400).

This is SO wrong. Did you hire your trainer/coach before of after 1600-1800 calories?

The 1600-1800 calories just kind of naturally occurred due to my work schedule (I was working through lunch). I had been eating at that level for a while when I hired my trainer/coach. Although he does not have certification to give dietary advice, he made suggestions as a friend. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it for a month and see what happened.

And how is it wrong to eat at or above BMR? BMR is the calories you burn just with basic functions like heart beat and breathing.

It's your TDEE that is at issue, not your BMR, because the latter is the amount of calories it takes your body to survive while in a coma.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

This is SO wrong. Did you hire your trainer/coach before of after 1600-1800 calories?

The 1600-1800 calories just kind of naturally occurred due to my work schedule (I was working through lunch). I had been eating at that level for a while when I hired my trainer/coach. Although he does not have certification to give dietary advice, he made suggestions as a friend. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it for a month and see what happened.

And how is it wrong to eat at or above BMR? BMR is the calories you burn just with basic functions like heart beat and breathing.

I have been in a similar situation to this. My weight loss plateaued for 2 months and my dietician (I had regular appointments at the hospital with her at the time as I had recently been diagnosed with Coeliac disease) suggested I increase my calories by 2-300 a day for 2 weeks and then cut them again. I did and I lost 10lbs in those 2 weeks and continued to lose steadily afterwards when I dropped my calorie goal again.

I was in a similar situation recently and the same thing worked again. I don't believe it's to do with metabolism slowing down but more a case of I move more when I'm eating a bit extra (I just feel I have more energy) and maybe a bit of water weight dropping off. Regardless of why, it works.

I would stress though that I am very thorough with my logging, weigh absolutely everything and track every morsel I put in my mouth. And even at my increased calorie goal I was still in a deficit. I wouldn't be comfortable increasing my calorie intake if I wasn't 100% sure of how much I was eating.

Just my personal experience. :)

This is different to what that other poster is saying though. You were losing, stalled, upped your calories, then went back to a deficit. What you did was to counter metabolic adaptation, and it's recommended to do so if you've been dieting a while.

What the other poster is asserting is some nonsense about BMR, which is irrelevant for weight loss.

It's not wrong to eat at or above one's BMR if one chooses, but it's not necessary to stay within that limit, either.

Oh, I understand that. My point was that in some circumstances (very specific circumstances) increasing the amount you eat can help weight loss. That was all.

Generally the only number I concern myself with is my TDEE.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    One thing left..morning i do 30 mint Tiffany rothe workout, 700 fast skipping, nd 20 mint some aerobics.. Before starting any exercise i check my weight and after exercise i check..without intake nd outtake of water..i loose 400gm.. Do i need to do more..???

Weigh loss doesn't happen that quickly. When you weight yourself before and immediately after exercise you are really only measuring the amount of water that you lost from sweating and heavy breathing. Weight loss is best measured over days and weeks.