VLDC and advice on how to go back to a 2700 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I really dont think that Op qualifies for this.

this link you gave is for people people eating under 800 calories a day and very structured and guided by a medical team Also they all got described RFO ( a nutritional high quality protein)

OP just started and starts to eating very low in calories.
    People dont suddenly after 3 days dont get hungry anymore...less hungry maybe yes ( more getting used to it maybe) And like the program says so they have less appetite
    the program doesn't say that they feel full and cant eat no more. And this is what OP stated he is "full"

There is a huge difference between having less appetite like the program says or not being able to eat more because you are full.
    Are you saying medical supervision changes the body's adaptation to VLCD?
    My link was to show habituation on VLCD, not to say it should be done without medical supervision.

• cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I first wish to say I am sorry. In the other thread I had just assumed you were going to be another person that just comes onto the forum and then doesn't listen once they hear how what they are doing was wrong. I am glad that I was wrong and that you are trying.

Now as for the being too full. After I spent a month starving myself before I felt the exact same way. At a certain point 2 eggs and about 6 small sausage links was all my body could eat before I was just full for the day. The one thing that helped me was peanut butter. It is full of calories so when I was was trying to get back to normal peanutbutter helped greatly.

Might I also truly suggest beginning to workout. Being your size (and mine we are close in weight) there is one nice thing about being heavy, everyday you are working out when you move. Think of it like in those old kung fu flicks where people would wear weighted vest to train in to get stronger. That is you right now, you have muscles (especially in the legs) that smaller people have to work to obtain. If you begin working out as you lose weight you can maintain some of the muscle you have already created. Also holding onto the muscle increases your daily burn so that is nice too ^_^

Good luck we are all pulling for you
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »
    I first wish to say I am sorry. In the other thread I had just assumed you were going to be another person that just comes onto the forum and then doesn't listen once they hear how what they are doing was wrong. I am glad that I was wrong and that you are trying.

Now as for the being too full. After I spent a month starving myself before I felt the exact same way. At a certain point 2 eggs and about 6 small sausage links was all my body could eat before I was just full for the day. The one thing that helped me was peanut butter. It is full of calories so when I was was trying to get back to normal peanutbutter helped greatly.

Might I also truly suggest beginning to workout. Being your size (and mine we are close in weight) there is one nice thing about being heavy, everyday you are working out when you move. Think of it like in those old kung fu flicks where people would wear weighted vest to train in to get stronger. That is you right now, you have muscles (especially in the legs) that smaller people have to work to obtain. If you begin working out as you lose weight you can maintain some of the muscle you have already created. Also holding onto the muscle increases your daily burn so that is nice too ^_^

Thanks for your advice and not judging me from my posts :smile:. I have been spreading my meals out and i am up to 1576 calories for today. It took some effort. I am sure it won't take me long to get back to eating right but i was afraid to rush it because my body would start gaining the weight back as so many people see when they go off of such a diet. I do walk when weather and ability allows. I just don't do it regular enough to call it an active lifestyle yet. I usually will do about 3-5 miles on my walks because there is a very nice walking trail about 1/2 mile from my house. 1/2 mile there 2 miles up + 2 miles back + 1/2 mile home is 5 miles, sometimes i do less dependent on time and how i feel.

You are correct about the weights, its really hard to exercise at this weight. I use an xbox fitness as well, which i really like because it will sync with microsoft fitness, which syncs with myfitnesspal :) I really like those exercises however again, due to my weight it is very hard to do so that is usually a once to twice a month thing. I also bought only games that worked with the kinect and was fitness related. I am not to that point just yet but i plan on the exercise being a large part of my life in the long run.

I am figuring once i get down to around 280 i should be good to practice a regular routine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    cwilso37 wrote: »

Thanks for your advice and not judging me from my posts :smile:. I have been spreading my meals out and i am up to 1576 calories for today. It took some effort. I am sure it won't take me long to get back to eating right but i was afraid to rush it because my body would start gaining the weight back as so many people see when they go off of such a diet. I do walk when weather and ability allows. I just don't do it regular enough to call it an active lifestyle yet. I usually will do about 3-5 miles on my walks because there is a very nice walking trail about 1/2 mile from my house. 1/2 mile there 2 miles up + 2 miles back + 1/2 mile home is 5 miles, sometimes i do less dependent on time and how i feel.

You are correct about the weights, its really hard to exercise at this weight. I use an xbox fitness as well, which i really like because it will sync with microsoft fitness, which syncs with myfitnesspal :) I really like those exercises however again, due to my weight it is very hard to do so that is usually a once to twice a month thing. I also bought only games that worked with the kinect and was fitness related. I am not to that point just yet but i plan on the exercise being a large part of my life in the long run.

I am figuring once i get down to around 280 i should be good to practice a regular routine.

Good job on the 1576! Progress. smiley-happy088.gif

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i got a hyperthyroid, just found out last month. My thyroid was a .008. I have to go see an endocrinologist in august to see what they are going to do. I am hoping the thyroid pills don't cause me to gain weight.

Woah...you have a thyroid problem ....that may well complicate things until it is correctly medicated as it will affect the calories out side of the equation.

Thyroid medication, may take a while to find right treatment, but once adequately medicated will make weight loss much much easier
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I really dont think that Op qualifies for this.

this link you gave is for people people eating under 800 calories a day and very structured and guided by a medical team Also they all got described RFO ( a nutritional high quality protein)

OP just started and starts to eating very low in calories.
    People dont suddenly after 3 days dont get hungry anymore...less hungry maybe yes ( more getting used to it maybe) And like the program says so they have less appetite
    the program doesn't say that they feel full and cant eat no more. And this is what OP stated he is "full"

There is a huge difference between having less appetite like the program says or not being able to eat more because you are full.
    Are you saying medical supervision changes the body's adaptation to VLCD?
    My link was to show habituation on VLCD, not to say it should be done without medical supervision.

Habituation occurs at any level of caloric intake. :) Not just VLCD.

Just eat some stuff that's more energy dense. Boom.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you increase by 200 cal per day each week, you won't hardly notice it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    i got a hyperthyroid, just found out last month. My thyroid was a .008. I have to go see an endocrinologist in august to see what they are going to do. I am hoping the thyroid pills don't cause me to gain weight.

Woah...you have a thyroid problem ....that may well complicate things until it is correctly medicated as it will affect the calories out side of the equation.

Thyroid medication, may take a while to find right treatment, but once adequately medicated will make weight loss much much easier

It probably won't make it easier, he's saying he is hyper, not hypo. Typical treatment for hyper is either medication or to kill off part of the thyroid with iodine, and since this is hit and miss on thyroid levels after, possible treatment for hypo if they kill off too much. (My mother had this, I went straight to hypo).
  • shawnmstout
    edited June 2015
    Options

It probably won't make it easier, he's saying he is hyper, not hypo. Typical treatment for hyper is either medication or to kill off part of the thyroid with iodine, and since this is hit and miss on thyroid levels after, possible treatment for hypo if they kill off too much. (My mother had this, I went straight to hypo).

I am sorry to hear that. I have heard some negative things when they start messing with your thyroid because it directly impacts your weight loss. I am wondering if i leave it untreated until i lose my weight if that would be a better option. Like you said it is easy to go from hyper to hypo and hypo just plain sucks.
  • shawnmstout
    Options

Hyper makes it easier to lose weight but my problem is that your body tries to counterbalance by having some crazy cravings which are very hard to control. Weight gain usually does not occur with hyper but in some cases like mine it does. It took some googling to find people with weight gain and hyper as its not as common.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did not know that .. interesting :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Hyper makes it easier to lose weight but my problem is that your body tries to counterbalance by having some crazy cravings which are very hard to control. Weight gain usually does not occur with hyper but in some cases like mine it does. It took some googling to find people with weight gain and hyper as its not as common.

Hyperthyroid tends to cause weight loss, and hypo tends to cause gain, but as you've seen it can go either way.
    My ex mother-in-law has hypo, and possibly had it undiagnosed for a large part of her life, but she's close to underweight, and getting put on medicine for hypothyroid made her gain a little bit of weight at first.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    About getting over full. I get this too and I find eating slower helps. For a while it took me thirty minutes to finish a bowl of oatmeal. If you feel full stop, wait ten to twenty minutes, and get back to your meal. Some foods are tolerated better than others and you will figure this out in time. High volume foods that I tolerate well include popcorn, leafy salads, and watermelon.

Low volume high calorie foods will help too like the good fats, nuts, and cheeses.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, a nice walk after eating will help things move along too.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Take multiple readings before medicating. Your TSH should ideally be between 0.3-3.0. There are several conflicting hormones that can react to T4, T3, and RT3, but many endocrinologists only go off of TSH levels. Just move slowly when treating metabolic issues as the adverse effects of a "cure" can make things worse.

I have hypothyroidism and have the same issue. If I experience a drop in T4 my appetite goes through the roof.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Take multiple readings before medicating. Your TSH should ideally be between 0.3-3.0. There are several conflicting hormones that can react to T4, T3, and RT3, but many endocrinologists only go off of TSH levels. Just move slowly when treating metabolic issues as the adverse effects of a "cure" can make things worse.

I have hypothyroidism and have the same issue. If I experience a drop in T4 my appetite goes through the roof.

Yeah, i am kind of scared to go see an endocrinologist about it to be honest. Sometimes doctors make things worse. Any suggestions you use to curve those cravings?
  • shawnmstout
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my stomach feels full and i am only at 857 calories, this sucks, lol

maybe i will have some sherbert ice cream tonight
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you're really desperate you could pick up some Cyto Carb 2 and add it to a smoothie. It has 210 calories per small scoop, pure carbs, unflavoured. My son uses it to up his calories due to heavy training.

Better to get it from real food though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    my stomach feels full and i am only at 857 calories, this sucks, lol. maybe i will have some sherbert ice cream tonight
    Ice cream is not a bad idea.

When are you seeing the endocrinologist Shawn?

If your thyroid and associated hormones are seriously off, this could also account for you not feeling hungry.

Has your change in weight corresponded to the deficits you believe you've been achieving or are the numbers significantly off?

You could setup yourself with a free fitbit account, enter your scale weigh-ins there, and associate that account with a trendweight.com account.

Trendweight will give you a better approximation of what your body thinks is your actual deficit.

You can also setup your own spreadsheet to track things over time, the goal being to figure out the relationship between your logged intakes and outputs vs what your body is actually registering.
  • shawnmstout
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    my stomach feels full and i am only at 857 calories, this sucks, lol. maybe i will have some sherbert ice cream tonight
    Ice cream is not a bad idea.

When are you seeing the endocrinologist Shawn?

If your thyroid and associated hormones are seriously off, this could also account for you not feeling hungry.

Has your change in weight corresponded to the deficits you believe you've been achieving or are the numbers significantly off?

You could setup yourself with a free fitbit account, enter your scale weigh-ins there, and associate that account with a trendweight.com account.

Trendweight will give you a better approximation of what your body thinks is your actual deficit.

You can also setup your own spreadsheet to track things over time, the goal being to figure out the relationship between your logged intakes and outputs vs what your body is actually registering.

Appointment is August 14

no i dont think my numbers are off that much. i have a smart scale and it weighs for me, takes my body fat % and my heart rate as well as the air quality. Although i think the body fat % is way off.

I decided on oatmeal with some almond milk, i just couldn't see adding all that unnecessary sugar to my body.

I am really trying to eat cleaner and don't want to tempt myself with the sugar in ice cream, i have weened myself off of all the sugar i was putting in my body and I dont really want to go back.