July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    5k walk today. 18.42 miles in so far. Sunday's are a total rest day...

exercise.png
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    C25k week 4 day 1. I ran for five minutes straight! I will admit that the second time I had to run five minutes, I had to stop and walk for a few seconds once or twice, but considering that a few months ago, I could barely run for a minute straight without feeling like I was dying feels pretty great! And my run pace is a pretty consistent 11-12 minute mile, which is fairly speedy for me :)

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options

4.4 on the 4th of July! :p

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7/1: 6.5 miles
    7/2: 6.5 miles with the Thursday running crew
    7/3: Rest
    7/4: 3.1 miles: Small holiday 5k, new 5k PR of 23:42 and placed 2nd in my AG (20-24)! Exciting way to start the 4th!

16.1/175 miles

exercise.png
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Im going for 35 this month

exercise.png

• JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    WTG @kristinegift ! That lights-up the day for you already!
    Lots of people upping their goals for the month. Lovely!
    I'm praying for those hips @Elise4270 . God has healed me from so many injuries (most my own doing!). Seek Him out Sweetie.
    Happy 4th Ya'all!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    7/1 - 3.3 miles - usually my rest day, but keeping my streak alive (3 more days!)
    7/2 - 4.6 miles while eating lots of breakfast gnats yuck!
    7/3 - 2.3 miles - short run today - took a new running partner who hasn't run in a while. She did great! It was cooler and raining.
    7/4 - 6.2 miles - last day of my Memorial Day to 4th of July 41 Days of Awesome running challenge. Wanted to make it a good finish. Did 6.22 miles at a 9:58 pace 1:02:01 10K not a PR for me but faster than my last 10K :smile:

16.4 miles out of 100

exercise.png

@kristinegift WOOHOO you go girl! Congrats!
    @toriraeh fantastic! When I started running a few years back I couldn't run to the bottom of the driveway - I did a half marathon in April. That is great.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

My training plan calls for 159...
    7/02/15 - 3 miles
    7/04/15 - 7 miles

exercise.png

• asbm3278
    asbm3278 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    7/1 strength
    7/2 rest
    7/3 hike with the bf (grouse grind for anybody in my neck of the woods)
    7/4 4.7km
    goal 50km
    45.3 km to go :) keep up the good work everyone!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1- rest
    2-lunch swim, 12.15 bike
    3-0.52 GI upset. Decided to lay on couch and eat popsicles instead.
    4-5.18 hot. HI 99, temp 89 humidity 60%

5.70/70+

Thanks @JimCrackinDandy !

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe out there!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)

July Goal: 80 miles
    Miles so far: 16
    Miles left: 64

My first 10K today so a PR was guaranteed. It's hard to decide what your goal is when you're new to this. Based on my 5K performance last weekend the race calculators indicated a 62+ minute finish. Those calculators, though, do not take into account the killer hills on this course! I finished in 1:04:47 and considering the hills and the humidity, I was happy with that! I had several niggling pains in the prior week but none of it bothered me today.

I could have shaved a few seconds off that had I not stopped and danced to the music of one of the bands along the way, or run to the side of the road to high five the little kids there, or run with an 89 year old World War II vet, but then I wouldn't have had as much fun either.

I'll have to catch up on everyone's posts later, as I need to get ready for a cookout, but happy Independence Day and great running to all!

Here's me, coming up the last of many hills to finish line

7m526vfe2fzl.jpg

10k.jpg 46.9K
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My first 10K today so a PR was guaranteed. It's hard to decide what your goal is when you're new to this. Based on my 5K performance last weekend the race calculators indicated a 62+ minute finish. Those calculators, though, do not take into account the killer hills on this course! I finished in 1:04:47 and considering the hills and the humidity, I was happy with that! I had several niggling pains in the prior week but none of it bothered me today.

I could have shaved a few seconds off that had I not stopped and danced to the music of one of the bands along the way, or run to the side of the road to high five the little kids there, or run with an 89 year old World War II vet, but then I wouldn't have had as much fun either.

Congrats on a great first 10k! Sometimes its the experience that make it a better race than the plain ol' time on the clock, and it sounds like it was a fun one if there were bands and tiny spectators!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @mwyvr - Those statues are cool!

@7lenny7 - Way to go on that 10k! I think I prefer having fun over focusing on the competition. But then again, I am a back-of-the-pack runner anyway, so it's not like I have anyone other than myself to beat!

Had a great long run this morning. Had a nearly two mile stretch of running on grass (no sidewalks), nice scenery running along 2 sides of a golf course, and even ran through a 5k finish line (I had no idea a 5k was on that route today, I swear). Also had to dodge chairs of spectators on the other side of that 5k as people were gathering for a parade (I did know about the parade today). I finished through the parade route before the parade started though (darn). I was hoping to maybe get to run for a stretch in that parade! :tongue: Maybe next year!

7/1 - 12 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (18 miles total)
    7/4 - 16 miles (34 miles total)

Goal 200 miles

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @Great job!! As you go you will find it gets easier and easier and then you will be addicted :) I wouldn't be worrying too much about pace at this point, just try to keep it slow, really, really slow. As you build up to running longer and further your pace will naturally improve.
    @kristinegift - Congratulations on the 5k pr and placing 2nd in your age group! Way to Go!!
    @vandinem - Love your mileage today :)
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats on finishing your streak and in such a fantastic way! Awesome job!!
    @Elise4270 - not sure how I missed it yesterday but mmmm popsicles!! What flavor? :)
    @7lenny7 - Love that you enjoyed the band, the kids and the Vets at your 10k! For me it is all about the experiance and enjoying where I am running and who I am running with. If I happen to run well and get a PR or AG award - that is icing on the race cake!
    @WhatMeRunning - awesome long run! Maybe those people setting up for the parade thought you were the leading edge of the parade :)

I had a really good long run despite oversleeping and getting up almost 2 hours later than planned. I must have turned the alarm off last night when I was setting it because it did not go off. It was still cool and overcast when I headed out and stayed that way until the last couple of miles. Even once the sun broke through there was enough breeze to cool me off and keep it enjoyable. My legs did get very tired though and I think it is because I have been adding mileage to my weekday runs. I think I will cut back a bit this next week and see if that helps.

Hope everyone in the US has a wonderful and safe Independence Day with lots of beer, brats, dogs and burgers! I think I am hungry!

Date.......Miles......Total
    07/01.....0.00.......0.00 - Rest
    07/02.....7.20.......7.20 - +Strength training
    07/03.....6.28.....13.48 - Easy
    07/04...12.18.....25.66

exercise.png

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Happy Independence Day to my American friends, and here's to a happy July 4th to everyone no matter where they live and run!

@skippygirlsmom Your running partner looks pretty happy to hang out with you! And congrats on your Memorial Day to 4th of July 41 Days of Awesome running challenge... that sounds like fun! Any others going on?
    @LittlePinkShotgun You can do it!
    @7lenny7 Great work on your 10K PR! You'll be chasing another in no time. Or maybe like me just being surprised when they happen.
    @WhatMeRunning Absolutely awesome long run! And obstacles too? Sounds like competition for Spartan runs!
    @shanaber Great long run, treat your legs for the rest of the day they deserve it!

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		050.67 km 
    Goal:			200.00 km / 124 miles (25% completed)
    Stretch Goal:		242.00 km / 150 miles (20% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sat Jul 04 18.90 km Mountain trail run + 3 falls new record LOL
    Fri Jul 03 09.84 km 
    Thu Jul 02 11.93 km Mountain trail run
    Wed Jul 01 09.99 km 

My running partner amazed me today by crossing - for me, because she trusts me - a burma bridge on the trail with a see-through metal grid walkway. She like many dogs doesn't like see through grills and grates on streets and paths but she kept looking at me and made it. And then back again. And up the "stairs" at the other side which really were more like a ladder on an incline. I'm so impressed with her! (and also glad I didn't have to carry her across!)

So of course... we paused our run for a very refreshing reward-dip in the river. So nice... for both of us!
    IMG_20150704_113752.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @shanaber I ate 6 or 8 popsicles. El cheep-o brand. Flavors were pineapple pomegranate orange strawberry. I'm glad your run worked out!

@JoRocka I though you'd enjoy a laugh at my tan lines :wink:
    20150627_134100_zpsvvany9b7_edit_1436045808132_zpsu1dh5mce.jpg
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    July Goals:
    13 runs. (2)
    67km (10km)
    10 minute intervals (6)
    6km long run. (5km)
    5km under 40min (42.53)

2 July 5km 5.30min int. 42.53m
    4 July 5km. 6min int. 43.23m

After so long not running it's slowly coming back to me now I have managed to get out there regularly over the last two weeks.

I think that physically, I could do longer jogging intervals but I don't feel like a jogger at the moment so have a bit of a mental block.

Roll on Monday.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @shanaber great long run today, and thanks.
    @mwyvr love the pix of puppy in the stream :smile: I think @ddmom0811 or @shanaber mentioned a Thanksgiving to New Year Day streak. I don't think I'll do another, I think not having a rest day messed up my long runs. I'm not sure.
    @7lenny7 fantastic, congrats on the 10K PR!! Sounds like a great race with lots going on. Running with the vet, what an honor.
    @elise4270 nice tan lines ha ha
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So I ran my first virtual race today. It also happened to be my first 10k race ever. I chose a long dirt road to run it on, a surface I'm use to, and a route with not too many hilly surprises. I ran this alone, but was secretly competing with a lone jogger I spotted about half a mile ahead.

I was doing great until about 3.5miles in when I started to notice some left knee pain. I've experienced this pain before, but not for the past year or so. Conscious of my hour goal time, I slowed down a bit and hoped that would help. Well, it didn't and the pain became excruciating, so much so that I was limp running. All while this was happening I was think of all the reasons of why the heck I was running in the first place...I was in agony...it was hot, it was humid, and why would anyone do this to themselves. I ran for a few minutes more and then stopped, paused my tracker, and stretch for a second . All those soldiers, both wounded and killed, sacrificed their safety and health for decades fighting for our independence . That is why I was running. The agony some of them felt as they took their last breath, is nothing compared to the knee pain I was experiencing. I thought to myself, if they could get through gunshot wounds, grenades, and mine explosions, I can get through 30 more minutes of knee pain. So, I held my chin up high, started up my tracker, and I kept running.

As I reached the "finish line" aka my drive way, I was presented a metal by my boyfriend, and two siberian husky puppies. As the metal was being placed around my neck I plopped to the ground. A few sloppy puppy kisses later my boyfriend asked if I was ok. I said that I was more than ok, that I had finished, and it was worth every painful step. 59:38 time made it all the better :)

With that being said, any recommendations for treatment? It still hurts with normal walking. I did do ITB stretches with some relief. I think a knee brace is in order, but I don't know if it would help...

Hope everyone racing today kicked butt, and happy 4th!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @Aresende90 sorry about your knee pain but enjoyed reading your story. What a thoughtful boyfriend to present you with a medal!

Calm that knee down and be sure to do some stretching, perhaps some ITB stretches just to be safe. I'm not saying it's ITBS you are suffering from but keeping your ITB stretched well after runs is a good habit IMO.