July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Aresende90 - wow, that's amazing that you finished! Hope the knee is okay! Sorry, I don't know about treatments for it.

July 1 - rest
    July 2 - 3.75 run/walk combo
    July 3 - 5 miles
    July 4 - 5.76 miles

exercise.png

Debating on running in the morning. I'm away from home so can't do my lifting or biking, so all I have is running and I like to exercise at least 6 days a week! I may just see how I do in the morning!

Happy 4th!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    6mi out of 30 completed
  • pauladner
    pauladner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll make my goal 100 miles running on the treadmill this month. I just started jogging, so I am not sure if it is a realistic goal for me.
    Great to find you guys!

7/1 = 5 miles
    7/2 = 3 miles
    7/3 = 8.1 miles
    7/4 = 7 miles

• bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm really chuffed this morning, went and did my 5k run and for the first time I managed not to walk any of it :smile: I did only beat last weeks time by one second, and that included several walking bits, so next time I need to walk I won't feel so bad about it, but more than the time this was about me proving to myself that I could keep going and not need to keep stopping.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    bbandme wrote: »
    I'm really chuffed this morning, went and did my 5k run and for the first time I managed not to walk any of it :smile: I did only beat last weeks time by one second, and that included several walking bits, so next time I need to walk I won't feel so bad about it, but more than the time this was about me proving to myself that I could keep going and not need to keep stopping.

exercise.png[img][/img]

Fantastic!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

My training plan calls for 159...
    7/02/15 - 3 miles
    7/04/15 - 7 miles
    7/05/15 - 6.32

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    7/1: 6.5 miles
    7/2: 6.5 miles with the Thursday running crew
    7/3: Rest
    7/4: 3.1 miles (New 5k PR of 23:42!)
    7/5: 12 miles with a new running group :) Feels great to be out running double digits again, and this week was loads easier than the 10 I did last week.

28.1/175 miles

exercise.png
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Checking in! I just started couch to 5k. And walking on non-run days. I have 30 more pounds to go. Down 25 since January!
    6.39 miles
    1.5 july 1
    1.6 july 3
    3.25 july 4

I use a fitbithr and Nike plus app

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Took a nice rest day yesterday before my long run this morning with friends. One wasn't feeling great, so we ended up going pretty slow, but I ended up running ahead and looping back with occasional walk breaks. I ended up doing a few extra miles at the end plus some treadmill distance as well to work off some extra 4th of July calories.

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-mile-0.25 ladder @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles

Total: 30 miles, 1 speedwork session
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 110 miles, 4 speedwork sessions
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This weekend has been a little busy and I skimmed through posts quickly yesterday and missed some congrats on races and running streaks, and even missed some sympathies on bad or missed runs! So sorry to those I missed. I'm doing a quick catch up now but going to try and be more thorough. :smile:

@shanaber - Way to get that mileage in!
    @mwyvr - You are building a fearless super-dog!
    @username301 - Keep at it!
    @skippygirlsmom - I stopped that 41 day streak during week 1 because of not feeling rested enough for my long runs, and I had big mileage gains planned over those weeks. So impressed you stuck with it!
    @Aresende90 - Wow! That was some determination and motivation you worked up there. You may be out for a while running that far on an injury like that, but I hope not. I would get to a sports doctor to get a clear diagnosis and treatment plan, for one; to see if it really is IT Band (could very well be) and two; to make sure while running ont he injury no other things became injured. And congrats on what you did, that really took courage!
    @bbandme - Congrats on going the whole way!
    @kristinegift - Great to see you putting in mileage again now that you are recovered from your marathon. Particularly impressive is kicking out a long run like that after chugging out a 5K PR the day before (congrats by the way)!
    @southernyogini - Welcome aboard!
    @Ohhim - Any long run day that invovles extra miles is a great one!

Most of my Sunday's this summer are mid-range long runs on tired legs after a Saturday long run. Today was 12 miles after 16 miles yesterday, the first I've done that distance on back to back days. My legs were pretty dang tired by the end. I'm going to go have a sweet, sweet time with my foam roller now. Back later.

7/1 - 12 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (18 miles total)
    7/4 - 16 miles (34 miles total)
    7/5 - 12 miles (46 miles total)

Goal 200 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    bbandme wrote: »

exercise.png[img][/img]

That's super! The first 10k my husband did, a 10 year old boy would run ahead of him and walk a bit, then run ahead and walk. He did this the entire 10k. My husband will not stop for walk breaks. The kid beat still him. A short walking break is often beneficial! Congrats on your 5k PR!
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Aresende90 Runners World online may have some suggestions in the ITBS. The only thing I know to do are RICE and foam roll and gentle stretches. If you can convince that boyfriend to spring for a massage, that may help. I know it can become a chronic condition. So it may be worth looking into PT along with a gait analysis.

Where does it hurt on your knee? Outside would be IT band. It could be PF pain. A brace would help that. I found them horribly uncomfortable. If it's PF I believe you should try to improve quad strength gradually. There's a regimine on Runners world, (my go to for info) called the iron work out for runners.

Your run sounds like you had the opportunity to connect to your cause. That's heart warming.

Good luck.
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This turtle got to do a last minute decided on 10k yesterday. Definitely didn't set any records but I got out there and did it. Not only that, but I got a 21 year old co-worker, who had been a college track runner but who hasn't run in a year, to do it with me. And guess which one of us felt better at the end???
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    7/2 - 2.34
    7/4 - 6.1

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    4.1 today, but it is starting to take its toll ... had to stop to walk a couple times. May take a rest day tomorrow!

exercise.png
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Timby1 - So glad you got to do that 10k yesterday and felt pretty great afterwards! You may have won back a running partner in the end too! Let us know when the next race you both run in.
    @Elise4270 - Thanks for doing some research on ITB. I am wondering how you are feeling though. How are your SI joints?
    7mi here in the heat of the day, so that means twice as many calories were burned as would have been burned if I woke up on time this am and ran then.....Right???
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @JimCrackinDandy I'm not bad. I think I'm probably the best I can hope for. I'm ready to run, waiting for the heat to let up since I slept in. I think the heat index is near 100. How hot was your run? I don't want to wait until 6-7pm to get out.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    With that being said, any recommendations for treatment? It still hurts with normal walking. I did do ITB stretches with some relief. I think a knee brace is in order, but I don't know if it would help...

@Aresende90 - Great sentiments for getting your race done and under your goal!! I am not sure I could have run through the pain that way! I would start with stretches along with rest, ice (lots of ice) and maybe compression. I am not sure about a knee brace. I tend to stay away from them unless prescribed because I am afraid they will do more harm than good. If it isn't feeling better with a couple of days of rest and ice I would see a sports doc.

Love the picture of you and your puppies! The medal is awesome too!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)
    July 05 - 4.3 miles (3.0 + 1.3)

July Goal: 80 miles
    Miles so far: 20.3
    Miles left: 59.7

I took it really easy (about 12:30 pace) this morning. I woke up sore from yesterdays race. I rarely have sore muscles from running, but I guess yesterday's 10K wore me out. I probably should have called it a rest day but wanted to get Kody out (and get some miles myself, I'd admit). Started with 0.5 mile walk, then 3.0 mile run then 1 mile walk, then a water break and rest for muttley, another mile walk, 1.3 mile run, and a swim in the lake for Kody.

Tomorrow's my son's soccer practice, which is a prime 1.5 hour chunk of time I like to use for running, but I hear my body calling for a rest, so I'll walk instead. I also notice that in the last week I've run 26.1 miles, 4 more than my previous weekly high total.

@skippygirlsmom, great picture of you and the dog! And nice streak!
    @mwyvr, a date run sounds very cool. Too bad my wife doesn't run, though she would be up for a date walk. I'll have to propose something like that. Great picture of your dog, too.
    @toriraeh, your C25K is going great! Congrats on the 5 minutes. I think getting started in a running program is the hardest part, and you're doing quite well at it!
    @kristinegift, awesome job on the 5K!
    @Aresende90, classy boyfriend! The sloppy kisses had to help your mood a bit. I hope you get your pains sorted out quick!
    @bbandme, great job on your 5K run!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I may have to revise my goal again. Only 5 days into the month and I'm already at 25%

jbzhcwr56lps.jpeg