Grocery list HELP

Options

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I would add lots of fresh veggies to eat raw or cooked (spinach, kale, beets, cauliflower, green beans, corn, carrots, etc...). Add hummus and some sort of high fiber bread or wrap. And avacado...must have avacado! Also, flavorings like buffalo sauce, chipotle sauce, lemon juice, garlic...anything to add variety to that dreadful canned chicken lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and theres just not a lot of variety there. I couldnt eat like that. but to each their own.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic
    Garlic Powder
    Paprika (Smoked / Hot / Regular)
    Cajun Seasoning
    Lemon
    Cumin
    Olive Oil
    Red Wine / Apple Cider / Balsamic Vinegar
    Almonds
    Avocado
    Red / Yellow Peppers
    Zucchini
    Carrots
    Peanut butter
    Tomato
    Lettuce
    White / Sweet Potato
    Butter
    Sour Cream

*** Edit.

Don't think I don't see that Woodley jersey in the back ground. Approved

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Meat
    veggie
    seasoning
    snacks

that's what my shopping cart looks like.

so
    Chicken
    Steamables
    (seasoning's I have)
    yogurt and carrorts for snacks
    eggs- hard boiled for snack- scrambled for dinner.

that's pretty much the extent of my shopping lists.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    Whatever you like to eat. I have never been able to stick to a diet of "diet food". I eat the same things I've always eaten, just in smaller portions and with a heavier lean on the healthy stuff and less of the unhealthy stuff.

This.

What I tend to have around the house at all times:

olive oil and coconut oil
    various kinds of vinegars

steel cut oats (just 'cause I like it the best)
    protein powder (I use it on occasion)

dried whole wheat pasta
    lentils
    black beans or some other kind of beans
    quinoa or rice or some other kind of grain

canned tomatoes (maybe less so as we go into tomato season, but it's nice to have on hand)

pre-made stock

eggs
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese

smoked salmon and various tinned fish options (I like herring the best)

some kind of cheese (I always have feta and then I alternate what else I have)

coffee beans and teas

usually 2 kinds of ice cream

often protein bars

ideally olives and peppers and pickles

constantly revolving options

various sorts of meat (including fish/shellfish)
    lots of veggies, varying depending on the season
    various kinds of greens (subset of veggies, but I always make sure I have these)
    some kind of berry (or more than one)
    some other sort of fruit
    some kind of starch or more starchy veggie (generally alternate between things like potatoes, sweet potatoes, sunchokes, plantains, root veggies like turnips, carrots, parsnips, beets, or winter squash)
    sometimes tofu
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    -I spend most of my time in the grocery store not in the aisles. Probably over 50-75% in produce, then the rest meat, seafood, dairy, and a few things off the shelf.

-Salad dressing: if they have it, Bolthouse Farms, it will be refrigerated, maybe in the produce section

-In general, get the things that will satisfy you and you can stick with. If you are going from milkshakes to slimfast, fried to canned chicken, wonder to wheat bread, snickers to fruit cups, etc. that is going to be a lot of change you will find hard to do all at once.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I start my diet in 2 more days. Heres my grocery list. Anybody have any ideas as to what else I should add.

Slimfast waste of money
    Canned Chicken i don't know what canned chicken is (is it like canned tuna?) but making your own shredded chicken is as easy as adding chicken breast to a crockpot with two cups of low sodium broth and some spices.
    Wheat Bread
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Soups canned soups are super high in sodium. try making your own.
    Dole Fruit cups lots of sugar from syrup
    Protein Bars lots of sugars and sodium
    Water
    Water Enhancers meh
    Salads
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette
    Whole wheat wraps
    Turkey
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers mealsodium

I like water enhancers, they help me drink more water. As long as you choose the ones that don't contain caffeine you should be fine.
    I buy the veggie steamers from Green Giant & split a bag at lunch & dinner with my boyfriend. I try to get the sauceless ones because they have lower sodium & I just throw a little sea salt & pepper or olive oil on them.
    Greek yogurt is my go-to. Great snack, high in protein. I actually prefer to get the plain low-fat version & add my own fruit, but if you're in a hurry the flavored ones are ok.
    Bag salads, I like the spring mixes or melange of spinach & spring greens. I'll eat half a bag just tossed with balsamic vinagarette before dinner.
    Healthy Request soups are lower in sodium than the regular ones, still kind of high, but if you're pressed for time they're ok now & then in my opinion. A quick meal that's 10X better than stopping at the drive-thru.
    Lean Ground Turkey , 1/2 the price, fat & calories of ground beef & if you use it in things like chili & spaghetti you can't even taste the difference.
    Fresh fruit & veggies make great snacks, I precut them & put them in snack containers for the week.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    fresh fruits and veggie. I eat 70% dark chocolate to keep away cravings for heavier sweets. I love 100 calorie packs of walnuts or almonds for a healthy portion controlled snack. I buy lean cuisine or smart ones occasionally for days when I work double shifts or something but don't relay to heavily on them.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. When I started my diet a year ago nobody said just eat what you like in smaller portions. Everyone said eat no meat but chicken. Eat veggies and fruits, Eat wheat bread instead of regular bread, no sugar, high protein low fat and carb diets. Then a year later I ask for advice and everyone says eat the things you like just in smaller portions.

I am the pickiest eater you will find. Go out to resturants I order chicken tenders and fries. Order a pizza I get just cheese everytime. I do not like veggies or fruit. I do not like wheat bread. I do not like yogurt. Im just picky in general.

What my diet usually looks like

Breakfast- Cereal, Toast with butter and cinnamon, French Toast and bacon, Waffles, Pancakes with bacon. With a glass of 1% milk

Lunch- Mozzorella cheese sticks with marinara sauce, Steak and cheese hot pockets with ranch, PB and J, Popcorn chicken with ranch on a tortilla

Dinner- Hamburger helper with mash potatoes and cresecent rolls, Few slices of digorno pizza with ranch, Meat, Mash Potatoes, buttered noodles, and crescent rolls.

Were not a healthy eating family. I have a addiction to Pepsi and have had one for 9 years. I also have hypothyroidsm so I know it doesnt help with weight loss either. Im wanting to lose 50lbs by next summer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not about food type, it's about eating less calories than you burn. Just buy whatever you like to eat for weight loss purposes, but buy whatever will help you meet your nutritional needs as well. Moderation is the key.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    So I can still eat the things I like but add more good diet foods and stay at my 1200 cal goal?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    So I can still eat the things I like but add more good diet foods and stay at my 1200 cal goal?

Kristin,

Yes, but when looking at the list of the type of food you eat, it's going to be difficult to stay within 1200 calories.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Chicken in a can? I'm sorry but that sounds horrific.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Right. Just stay at 1200 calories and eat healthier. I think I can do this.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Right. Just stay at 1200 calories and eat healthier. I think I can do this.

Of course you can. :) I'm rooting you on!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you =)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Is the chicken in a can like canned tuna?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Why 1200 calories, and what exactly is "good diet foods"?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything labeled as "diet" food
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im talking healthy foods guys. Fruits and Veggies. I want to add them to my diet. But I also dont want to give up everything I eat. All the foods I eat are labeled to most as unhealthy. I want to eat what I want but healthier.