Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    This is something that worked for me.

Because of a very carb based diet, the gut microbiometends to become unhealthy with not enough variety. To fix that, my coach suggested sauerkraut (not cooked and not pasteurized) and milk kefir (unflavored, add fruits, honey or maple syrup to sweetened, that way you control the sugar). It adds good bacteria to your biome. It helped me deal with cravings and need less food to be satisfied, especially when it comes to sweets. I felt the effects 3-4 weeks after starting to eat them everyday and I am still eating them everyday.

It's up to you, but remember not to change too many things at once, or you'll feel overwhelmed. I took 3 weeks to transition into my new meal plan and 6 months later I'm still making adjustments.

This is all I could think of...
    This is my biome minecraft parody:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3uaJDAshkc

How do you know if your biome is unhealthy?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here's my Yes/No/Maybe list. My reasons will be different because they're based off of food industry economics as well as diet. I work in grocery retail and there are a lot of skeletons in that closet.

Slimfast - Only if you're recovering from dental surgery. Even I'm not that lazy.
    Dole Fruit cups - Overpackaged and overprocessed. Get real fruit.
    Water - Do you live in the Third World? You can contribute to California's drought, or... turn on your tap.
    Salads - Salad greens. Salad is too easy to make to waste money on overpriced bags of stale leaves.
    Whole wheat wraps - Commonly greenwashed as healthy, one wrap has the calories of four slices of rye bread.
    Canned Chicken - Dirty, overpriced, mechanically-deboned floor sweepings. I wouldn't feed most tinned meat to a cat.
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette - Primary ingredient: high-fructose corn syrup. Most "low fat" foods are loaded with sugar instead. That and a premium price-tag. Don't get ripped off by marketers trying to prey on your fears by selling you fake healthy.

Bacon - Only if you have the self-control to use two slices at a time.
    Brown Rice - Brown instead of white rice, but keep bacon? Old saying: Penny-wise and pound-foolish. It's a diet, not a death sentence.
    Wheat Bread - Experiment with rye, pumpernickle, etc. Have fun.
    Eggs - Yeah baby!
    Soups - Knock yourself out. Who has time to make soup from scratch? Look for low-sodium labels.
    Water Enhancers - Go for it. Water is boring.
    Weight watchers meal - If you're crazy-busy and the choice is eat junk food or nothing, there's nothing wrong with microwave dinners. Don't fixate on brands though.
    Protein Bars - Fine as a meal substitute if you can't eat during the day. Otherwise skip.
    Turkey - Lean meat. Period. Pork is not the enemy.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    These:
    Slimfast waste of money
    Canned Chicken i don't know what canned chicken is (is it like canned tuna?) but making your own shredded chicken is as easy as adding chicken breast to a crockpot with two cups of low sodium broth and some spices.
    Wheat Bread
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Soups canned soups are super high in sodium. try making your own.
    Dole Fruit cups lots of sugar from syrup
    Protein Bars lots of sugars and sodium
    Water
    Water Enhancers meh
    Salads
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette
    Whole wheat wraps
    Turkey
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers mealsodium

Fruits and vegetables
    in season and fresh locally

I agree with this except canned chicken does have value. I put it in salads sometimes, or make my own low-cal chicken salad for sandwiches (substituting hummus for most of the mayo and adding fresh veggies to add crunch).
  • whmscll
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chicken in a can? I'm sorry but that sounds horrific.

It's NOT. It depends on how you eat it. In salad, mixed with other stuff to make chicken salad for sandwiches, etc.23cirv9ehbgv.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I start my diet in 2 more days. Heres my grocery list. Anybody have any ideas as to what else I should add.

Slimfast
    Canned Chicken
    Wheat Bread
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Soups
    Dole Fruit cups
    Protein Bars
    Water
    Water Enhancers
    Salads
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette
    Whole wheat wraps
    Turkey
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers meal

Skip the slim fast and eat real food. Plan meals before you make a grocery list. Eat food you like in appropriate portion sizes for your goal.

Things I get regularly that are not on your list:
    Greek yogurt
    Cheese
    Peanut butter
    Popcorn
    Chicken breast, chicken thighs, whole chicken
    Beef
    Turkey
    Pork
    Fish
    Frozen vegetables/fresh vegetables- onions, carrots, potatoes, zuchinni, green beans, peas, broccoli, celery, spinach, garlic
    Fresh fruit/Frozen fruit- apples, oranges, banana, berries
    Beans- dry or canned
    Lentils
    Canned tomato
    Pasta
    Rice
    Bread- whole wheat, sourdough, etc
    Cereal
    Milk
    Butter
    Olive oil
    Peanut oil
    Salsa
    Frozen bean and cheese burritos
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A lot of posters are trying to strike protein bars from your list but I feel they definitely have their place.

A Questbar Double Chocolate Chunk protein bar has 160 calories, 20 grams of protein, 20 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of sugar and for me are super filling.

I can't tell you how many times a Questbar has saved me from inhaling entire boxes of cookies or other sweet treats and adding 800+ calories to that day.

I do believe used responsibility protein bars have a place in food logs.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes they do rebbylicious. I can eat what I like to eat but I need to look at the servings and calories. See I use to do that and people told me I wasnt gonna lose any weight at all. Because all foods are bad for your besides fruits and veggies and lean meats. Nobody ever told me to add them to my normal diet and eat less of my normal foods. Nobody ever told me to do that on here.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Thanks Rebbylicious. Its unbelieveable the help im getting now then what I did a year ago. Everyone gave me a list and told me to buy just that. Stay away from pizza and cake and tacos. Because you wont lose weight eating pizza or chocolate. Stay away from it. Now people are telling me to eat it.

You really won't be able to eat much of these foods if you are sticking to 1200 calories. There simply isn't enough room in your daily allotment of calories. Sure, you can eat them, but you will probably be really hungry later because of all the calories spent on these foods. I am on 1200 calories and I eat tons of fresh vegetables, lean protein (especially chicken), eggs, some peanut butter, some fruits, some bread and very small amounts of nuts and the occasional protein bar.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Hey all. Sorry it took me a few days to reply. When I started my diet a year ago nobody said just eat what you like in smaller portions. Everyone said eat no meat but chicken. Eat veggies and fruits, Eat wheat bread instead of regular bread, no sugar, high protein low fat and carb diets. Then a year later I ask for advice and everyone says eat the things you like just in smaller portions.

I am the pickiest eater you will find. Go out to resturants I order chicken tenders and fries. Order a pizza I get just cheese everytime. I do not like veggies or fruit. I do not like wheat bread. I do not like yogurt. Im just picky in general.

What my diet usually looks like

Breakfast- Cereal, Toast with butter and cinnamon, French Toast and bacon, Waffles, Pancakes with bacon. With a glass of 1% milk

Lunch- Mozzorella cheese sticks with marinara sauce, Steak and cheese hot pockets with ranch, PB and J, Popcorn chicken with ranch on a tortilla

Dinner- Hamburger helper with mash potatoes and cresecent rolls, Few slices of digorno pizza with ranch, Meat, Mash Potatoes, buttered noodles, and crescent rolls.

Were not a healthy eating family. I have a addiction to Pepsi and have had one for 9 years. I also have hypothyroidsm so I know it doesnt help with weight loss either. Im wanting to lose 50lbs by next summer.

Sorry this is so long, but here goes:

You could still lose weight on the daily foods you've listed, but you'd have to cut portions WAY down, so I'm thinking you'd likely feel too hungry to succeed. That's because a lot of the foods you list as your regular choices are tasty but not truly filling, yet also have high calories - they're great at the moment you are eating them, but you are gonna be hungry again fairly soon. That's why a lot of us learned to include foods that are satiating (keep you feeling full) and have lots of nutrients that keep energy levels up. That makes it easier to stay motivated than feeling listless/bloated because of limiting your diet to foods that don't truly feed your body.

It's fine to be 'picky', but if you know that about yourself, does your determination to lose weight mean that you are willing to research and experiment in order to find foods you enjoy that also support your weight loss? I can tell you right now that just trying to rely on Slimfast, Weight Watchers meals, and fruit cups is not going to be very tasty or satisfying in the long run.

Look, I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing. A lot of us here have come from a starting point not so different from yours. I'm just saying that if you really want this change (and it is SO TOTALLY WORTH IT), you'll need to spend some time exploring new ways of buying and preparing food.

I thought I didn't like apples. Turns out I wasn't aware of the different flavors in various TYPES of apples, so I found a couple of varieties that I love - they're sweet and high in fiber so they are super-filling. And throwing apple slices in the microwave with some Stevia and cinnamon? Then topping with a couple of tablespoons of vanilla yogurt? YUM. Applesauce with cinnamon and a low-fat cheese stick turned into a great snack.

I couldn't imagine life without tortilla chips and nacho cheese dip. Now the nachos dip I used to get tastes too greasy. So I make guacamole or fresh salsa instead, and it's not hard to fit chips/dip in as a treat. I also have ice cream a couple times a week, and my weight loss has been very steady. It's not about 'never again' for favorite foods. It's about changing either portions, or recipes, or both.

So your being 'picky' just means you need to do more research and trying stuff out, that's all. Finally, go ahead and take baby steps. Yes, it's true many of us here see nothing appetizing in fruit cups or a Weight Watchers frozen meal, but if you find some that you like and you will eat them instead of your potatoes/buttered noodles/crescent rolls, then GO FOR IT. Just be open to checking out the recipes section here or on skinnytaste.com. Skinnytaste is fantastic - I just saw a cheeseburger casserole there that you might like, for example.

Hang in there, please. It's so worth it.

+1 Fantastic advice.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    A lot of posters are trying to strike protein bars from your list but I feel they definitely have their place.

A Questbar Double Chocolate Chunk protein bar has 160 calories, 20 grams of protein, 20 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of sugar and for me are super filling.

I can't tell you how many times a Questbar has saved me from inhaling entire boxes of cookies or other sweet treats and adding 800+ calories to that day.

I do believe used responsibility protein bars have a place in food logs.

^ This.

I have an on-call job with no time for lunch, and my emergency stash of 100-calorie granola bars are a gawd-send. It beats starving.

• kristinhull1
    Options
    My Son doesnt eat much so every dinner i make buttered noodles for him. Thats the only thing I actually dont have to fight him to eat. My Fiance can eat like a 900lb man and wont gain even a lb. Ive been with him for 8 years and he still weighs 135lbs. So you can see why my family eats so unhealthy. They dont gain anything so they have no reason to not want mash potatoes or fast food.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Yeah 1200 calories are not alot. Im thinking like breakfast eggs and 2 piece of bacon with 1% milk. Lunch 4 mozzarella sticks with sauce and a small salad with vinegerette, dinner grilled chicken buttered noodles and a veggie. Snack a protein bar or fruit. Does that sound healthy. Idk
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet a year ago nobody said just eat what you like in smaller portions. Everyone said eat no meat but chicken. Eat veggies and fruits, Eat wheat bread instead of regular bread, no sugar, high protein low fat and carb diets. Then a year later I ask for advice and everyone says eat the things you like just in smaller portions.

You are getting better advice now, but that doesn't mean you can't also start transitioning to a healthier diet, which will make keeping the calories down easier.

No meat but chicken is silly and seems to be really common among dieters. There are tons of lean cuts of meat and you can fit in less lean cuts on occasion. Chicken and turkey are tasty and lower calorie, but so are pork chops or lean ground beef or fish, among many other options. If you eat lots of ground beef now, simply think of switching to lower fat versions of that--makes a huge difference in the calories.

Fruits and veggies are good to eat--especially veggies--so maybe start experimenting with new ways to cook them or adding them to stirfries or soups or pasta dishes, where they will blend in more with the other ingredients. Since it's summer you should have the tastiest fresh options available.

Whole wheat vs. white bread is nice because of the additional fiber, but isn't essential. If you don't like whole wheat bread, keep eating white, but watch your portion size (which you'd need to do with any bread) and try to make sure you are eating other foods that have some fiber, like fruits and veggies or beans or a higher fiber pasta or cereal (since you eat that for breakfast).

One thing that helps is to log what you are currently eating and understand the calories and then think about where you can make small steps to incorporate some nutrient dense and lower calorie foods or to cut down on foods that are lower in nutrients and higher calorie. There might be ways to alter your dishes so as to make them more nutritious without being hugely different--for example, instead of mozzarella sticks with marinara, how about some pasta with a meat and tomato sauce with lean ground beef and some veggies with some cheese on top?

It's helpful to realize you aren't expected to change everything right away, but can simply cut down on overall calories and start taking steps a little at a time. You will quickly start to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice. I really need it. Were going grocery shopping today and I didnt want to leave the store with just chicken veggies and fruit in my cart lol
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this but before I go shopping I tend to plan my meals for the week and from there I create a shopping list. This just works on so many different levels and most definitely helps as far as eating the "right" foods.
    I would advise going on Skinnytaste as well as Pinterest (search for clean eating, for instance) and see what looks good to you. Take a look at the calories and other nutritional information. MFP is really good at showing you where you need to cut back (for me, too carb dependent) and where you need to amp it up (for me, protein).
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I keep my food list simple
    I buy everything i want because i eat everything i want.
    ( lot of fresh veggies and fruit but also white bread and nothing wrong with buying salads or whatever )

I make a lot myself btw. But there are no good or bad foods...only too much food!

Just remember weigh ALL your food, dont go by cups, spoons or serving sizes!
    Weigh it on a food scale and log it!

That is how i lost my almost 100 pound.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why do you need special food?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Slimfast - processed
    Canned Chicken - processed
    Wheat Bread - processed
    Eggs
    Bacon - semi processed
    Soups - processed
    Dole Fruit cups - semi processed
    Protein Bars - processed
    Water
    Water Enhancers - processed
    Salads - semi processed
    Wish-Bone Salad Spritzer in Italian Vinaigrette - processed
    Whole wheat wraps - processed
    Turkey - You probably meant sliced deli style, so processed
    Brown Rice
    Weight watchers meal - processed

There's one suggestion I'm going to make that will change SO MUCH about your health as well as weight.

Eat fewer things with labels. Eat more whole foods. Eat tacos and pizzas if you want, but make them yourself from flour and ground beef and fresh spices and herbs you find in the produce section. Instead of fruit cups, eat a peach. Instead of water enhancers, buy a lemon and squeeze some of it into your water. You hardly have to give up anything you like, you just will experience a greater sense of self and health and connection to your body. Buy vinegar, oil and herbs and make your own dressing.

It sounds overwhelming, so I'm not saying do it all at once. I'm just suggesting look at the labels. Prefer things without labels. If it has a label, try to buy things like bread that say things like "contains: 100% whole grain wheat, salt, yeast" instead of:
    "Wheat Flour Enriched ( Flour , Barley Malt , Ferrous Sulfate [ Iron ] , Vitamin B [ Niacin Vitamin B3 , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 { Thiamin Vitamin B1 } , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 { Riboflavin Vitamin B2 } , Folic Acid Vitamin B9 ] ) , Water , Corn Syrup High Fructose , Contains 22% or less , Wheat Gluten , Salt , Soybeans Oil , Yeast , Calcium Sulphate , Vinegar , Monoglyceride , Dough Conditioners ( Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate , Calcium Dioxide ) , Soy Flour , Diammonium Phosphate , Dicalcium Phosphate , Monocalcium Phosphate , Yeast Nutrients ( Ammonium Sulfate ) , Calcium Propionate , To Retain Freshness"
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Regarding meat - I'm on 1200 calories as well, and have been pretty happy with it. You definitely don't have to limit your choices to chicken: I like beef, and am able to have it in 3 and 4 ounce portions - last week, I bought london broil on sale, portioned out, cooked up the whole thing, froze the portions and have been enjoying myself quite nicely! Salmon makes a very nice choice for me (I don't like most fish, but can deal with salmon, trout and canned tuna - but only Bumble Bee in oil). Not only do I not like pork much, but have discovered I seem to have a sensitivity to it, but it's also a definite option for them as likes it.

Most important lesson for me has been to take the time to relax and enjoy the meal.