Grocery list HELP

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Right. Just stay at 1200 calories and eat healthier. I think I can do this.

Where are you getting your 1,200 calorie goal from?
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MFP
  • intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Is the chicken in a can like canned tuna?

Yes, it's actually not bad. I eat it for a meal occasionally with a little salt and pepper.
  • intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im talking healthy foods guys. Fruits and Veggies. I want to add them to my diet. But I also dont want to give up everything I eat. All the foods I eat are labeled to most as unhealthy. I want to eat what I want but healthier.

Try some of the steamfresh vegetable bags. Super easy to start with, and a lot of them have seasonings to make them more palatable.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Im definitely going to pick some up. Any recipes for the bags?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    intruhvurt wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Is the chicken in a can like canned tuna?

Yes, it's actually not bad. I eat it for a meal occasionally with a little salt and pepper.

That what I was thinking. May be a good salad topper.

Also OP: If you are looking for new foods to add

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mmmm canned chicken

11638ff97397d894744a23d2e64252c3.jpg
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Its shredded can chicken and its actually really yummy
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Im talking healthy foods guys. Fruits and Veggies. I want to add them to my diet. But I also dont want to give up everything I eat. All the foods I eat are labeled to most as unhealthy. I want to eat what I want but healthier.

You've been given a lot of good suggestions, but you have to consider what works with your budget and abilities to use the food you buy. You don't have to run out and go to the expensive organic fresh produce and meats.

Do you cook now? Are you comfortable preparing your own/your family's meals? If not, a quick course in cooking techniques might be a big help.

Try making incremental changes over the course of a few weeks to a month. Swap out a fried chicken tenderloin for baked chicken breast, for example.

Frozen vegetables can be an inexpensive and quick way to add more vegetables to your diet. Broccoli, beans, carrots, brussel sprouts, mixed veggies, etc. Most cook ok in the microwave or even better with a steamer basket. You can buy them in bulk and you don't have to worry about spoilage.

Lean meats (chicken breasts/thighs), pork tenderloin, and fish provide great protein at lower calories. Try roasting in the oven with a spice blend or rub and very little to no oil/fat, or grilling.

Fresh fruits (apples, plums, strawberries, blueberries, etc) provide good snacks, out of hand eating.

Individual servings of string cheese can be a lower calorie snack as well.

You don't have to give up any foods you like now, but once you realize you have a calorie budget to work with and some of those foods will be a big chunk of that for a very small serving, you'll want to cut back in favor of other choices.

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    What are you going to eat for the rest of your life (not just when you are "dieting") ? What are you going to do when you crave sweets like dessert, chocolate, candy, etc? What are you going to snack on when you are hungry? What about when you crave salty crunchy snacks? I Have the same kinds of cravings and if I don't have a healthier choice , I will eat crappy food. So When I crave dessert I find things in smaller portions that i have control to limit my portion. (if you can't say no to chocolate or dessert forever, they why do you think you will do it for however many months? it just isn't going to happen... eat it but find a good portion that will work with your craving and fit into your calorie count for the day). I like popcorn because it's salty and has the crunch factor. I like sparkling water and sparkling juices to substitute for soda... or those little 1/2 cans of soda so I at least get some when craving it but it's a doable portion to not kill the plan. Keep your mind going like that. I eat pizza, tacos, ice cream, etc. Just find the right option for what you currently eat.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you. Im gonna try to add more veggies and water to my diet. And stay away from too high calorie foods.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks Rebbylicious. Its unbelieveable the help im getting now then what I did a year ago. Everyone gave me a list and told me to buy just that. Stay away from pizza and cake and tacos. Because you wont lose weight eating pizza or chocolate. Stay away from it. Now people are telling me to eat it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rebbylicious. Its unbelieveable the help im getting now then what I did a year ago. Everyone gave me a list and told me to buy just that. Stay away from pizza and cake and tacos. Because you wont lose weight eating pizza or chocolate. Stay away from it. Now people are telling me to eat it.

obviously what they told you to do last year didn't work (since you are back to square one) - so that should make you hopeful that doing something different will!
  • IndigoSpider
    IndigoSpider Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bacchants wrote: »
    Mmmm canned chicken

OMG is this real?! This horrifies me... and it made me throw up a little in my mouth. Eww
  • bpetrosky
    Options

Eat it, just log it (and you gotta be a little brutally honest with yourself when logging pizza).

It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you do you look at ways that you can "earn" the pizza (extra cardio, banking calories for a few days, having 1 less slice than you did before, etc.)

Logging is the real trick you have to learn and get used to. You'll make some mistakes initially, but it just takes some practice to learn what works. Once you do, the food choices start to make better sense.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    All tips are welcome. No more pop. Just water and im adding veggies to my diet and fruits. And 30 mins of exercise a day.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Mmmm canned chicken

OMG is this real?! This horrifies me... and it made me throw up a little in my mouth. Eww

They use this as a sabotage on the Cutthroat Kitchen show....
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is something that worked for me.

Because of a very carb based diet, the gut microbiome tends to become unhealthy with not enough variety. To fix that, my coach suggested sauerkraut (not cooked and not pasteurized) and milk kefir (unflavored, add fruits, honey or maple syrup to sweetened, that way you control the sugar). It adds good bacteria to your biome. It helped me deal with cravings and need less food to be satisfied, especially when it comes to sweets. I felt the effects 3-4 weeks after starting to eat them everyday and I am still eating them everyday.

It's up to you, but remember not to change too many things at once, or you'll feel overwhelmed. I took 3 weeks to transition into my new meal plan and 6 months later I'm still making adjustments.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Mmmm canned chicken

They use this as a sabotage on the Cutthroat Kitchen show....

I've seen it as an ingredient on "Chopped" also. It looks so nasty.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That is for those who want to temporarily diet. but The best way to not fall off any wagon and keep a permanent loss is by changing portions or change up your options. (at least for me). Its important to know that the "all or nothing mentality" is the problem with permanent weight loss. When we cheat... we gorge. That can't happen any more. Allow yourself to be as normal as possible but just read the labels on everything and eventually you will start to find a pattern in where your higher calories are. I used to eat hummus and pita bread all the time. I realized that ONE piece of pita bread was 400 calories.. and there I was thinking it was a healthy choice. Or yogurt.... the ones for healthy digestion have 26 grams of sugar!! A flour tortilla is 200 calories on average. Many single serve looking bags of chips actually are 2.5 servings in the bag... so you can 2-3X the calorie count on the bag if you eat the whole thing. Read how much is a serving on everything you eat. So i found ways to eat the same stuff I like but take away the parts that make the meal higher calorie.

If I am going out to dinner I will work out (do a zumba video or run) and burn an extra 300-500 calories so my dinner doesn't put me over for the day. Bread at a restaurant is 200 calories usually, and so If I skip it, it makes a difference in my meal taking over the day's count. Do those things make sense?