Favorite Clean Eating Recipes

Options
1235»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know or particularly care how you define clean eating, but I find The Joy of Cooking (I have the 1997 edition, no idea what later editions look like) to be a pretty good resource if you are looking to get away from prepackaged or boxed foods.

The recipes are pretty easy and you can determine your own comfort level with the ingredients you use in terms of how close you want to get to the original whole food, like purchasing shredded cheese or shredding your own, making your own breadcrumbs, making your own sauces, etc.

I think it's a pretty good place to start if you're looking to do more from-scratch cooking, and it helps you figure out which foods you prefer making from scratch and which ones you're comfortable using a shortcut.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Darn, I guess I have to burn my "101 Things To Do With Marshmallow Fluff" cook book then.

Seriously, other than maybe a cookbook designed for convenience, like a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade (which i would never buy because I find her annoying but I actually do think the concept is nice for busy people who don't have a lot of time to cook), aren't most cook books focused on primarily whole food ingredients? @lemurcat12 listed some great ones but even more mainstream books like Southern Livings Annual Recipe Collection or Better Homes and Gardens have recipes that I think would fit whatever definition of clean you have. And if you come across one that isn't as "clean" as you like then often there will be substitutions or just find a different one.

Agree!! Most of my cookbooks use whole food ingredients.

Sometimes I think people like to start trouble.
  • Serah87
    Options
    OP: There are tons of cookbooks in your library. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Darn, I guess I have to burn my "101 Things To Do With Marshmallow Fluff" cook book then.

Seriously, other than maybe a cookbook designed for convenience, like a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade (which i would never buy because I find her annoying but I actually do think the concept is nice for busy people who don't have a lot of time to cook), aren't most cook books focused on primarily whole food ingredients? @lemurcat12 listed some great ones but even more mainstream books like Southern Livings Annual Recipe Collection or Better Homes and Gardens have recipes that I think would fit whatever definition of clean you have. And if you come across one that isn't as "clean" as you like then often there will be substitutions or just find a different one.

On here? No....

• Serah87
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

On here? No....
    LOL...yeah. ;)

If i was asking for recipes, I wouldn't say "clean" recipes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Maybe that is where the OP is in changing her way of eating. Maybe she wants to eat more fresh foods and has no idea where to start.

All of the sites I referenced in my initial post would help someone who wanted to use more fresh ingredients and had no idea where to start (although I find it hard to believe anyone doesn't know that a basic cookbook would help with this, which is why I find the question puzzling).

I ALSO asked what she meant by clean and referenced the existence of paleo sites, since -- again -- that almost any cookbook involves cooking from whole foods and most savory recipes don't involve added sugar (the most common thing people wish to avoid), it seemed quite likely she had some other idea in her head (like no salt or no flour or lean meats only or no meat, etc.).

When people suggest another term would be more helpful than "clean" it is in large part so we don't have to guess at what was meant.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    aekaya wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    aekaya wrote: »
    This has become one of my favorite go-to recipes; I make a bunch at once and then eat them throughout the week:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/04/09/crispy-quinoa-patties/

This is another one of my favorites, super easy to make: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/04/easy-crock-pot-chicken-and-black-bean.html

Skinnytaste is generally pretty good for gathering recipe ideas.

Here are some other sites I like:

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/
    http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/
    http://damndelicious.net/

that recipe calls for canned black beans, so it would not qualify as clean (I think) because canned = processed = bad

I see your point, but there are different levels of processing food. Frozen vegetables or canned beans (assuming they're not filled with a ton of salt/oil/sauce/etc) are different from say, an order of fries from mcdonalds.

I know "clean eating" is a term of contention, but for me, that level of processing doesn't outweigh the nutritional benefits of those black beans, for example. idk if it's the same for the OP, though.

I've seen lots of "clean eaters" here say canned is out.

Also, obviously no recipe is going to involve McD's fries--we are talking about how "clean" recipes supposedly differ from other recipes (such as those at the many sites I recommended, ironically most of which don't involve canned products despite not being branded "clean").
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    The people who choose to clean eat know generally what it means and how they can help others.

May I suggest if it bothers anyone so much that they just say nothing? There are plenty of people who want to give recipes for example and can do so without the rigmarole of arguing about a definition.

Nobody has to reply to a post. Just be aware that everytime this comes up it is tiring and tedious, not unlike a vegetarian who is always asked "So why are you vegetarian?"

Live and let be.

it is impossible to give a recipe unless we know what OP is defining clean as ….

I think what I would do in that case if I really wanted to leave a recipe is to post one that I might think is "clean" and let the OP decide if it fits her definition of clean. If not...she can pass it on by.

Isn't this basically what I did? I also asked (so I could refine the suggestions) WHAT she meant by clean.

I've yet to hear from anyone (including the self-proclaimed "clean" eaters, who probably don't eat much different from me, why the sites I referenced, or the books I mentioned for that matter, would not be useful for the OP).

Instead, people are getting all offended because we dared to point out that "clean" does not have a consistent meaning and, in fact, there is no such thing as "clean" recipes as most normal recipes are based on whole foods, etc. You'd have to know nothing about cooking to think you needed special recipes OR--as seems more likely--have no really understanding of what "clean eating" is supposed to be (which is certainly understandable, as there are 30 different definitions) OR be following some more restrictive one, like no beans, no flour, no sugar, no nightshades, etc.
    Having said that...I find myself eating less and less processed food, fast food or eating out period. It has nothing to do however with eating clean or any other way. Giving up some of that has been the only way that I have been able to keep my nutrient levels where they need to be. I had 2 small slices of pizza last night and more than doubled my sodium intake.

Who has suggested this is a bad thing? I just want to know why the suggestions I made are unhelpful. If you ask someone for recipes it is useful to give information as to the kinds of recipes you want. "Low sodium" or "with lean meat" or "vegetarian" are all helpful descriptions. "Clean" is not, and again IF it means not from highly processed foods (like McD's) I'm REALLY confused what people think are in normal cooking sites and cookbooks.

I note that OP has not weighed in at all, even to say thanks for all the suggestions.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The people who choose to clean eat know generally what it means and how they can help others.

May I suggest if it bothers anyone so much that they just say nothing? There are plenty of people who want to give recipes for example and can do so without the rigmarole of arguing about a definition.

Nobody has to reply to a post. Just be aware that everytime this comes up it is tiring and tedious, not unlike a vegetarian who is always asked "So why are you vegetarian?"

Live and let be.

it is impossible to give a recipe unless we know what OP is defining clean as ….

I think what I would do in that case if I really wanted to leave a recipe is to post one that I might think is "clean" and let the OP decide if it fits her definition of clean. If not...she can pass it on by.

Isn't this basically what I did? I also asked (so I could refine the suggestions) WHAT she meant by clean.

I've yet to hear from anyone (including the self-proclaimed "clean" eaters, who probably don't eat much different from me, why the sites I referenced, or the books I mentioned for that matter, would not be useful for the OP).

Instead, people are getting all offended because we dared to point out that "clean" does not have a consistent meaning and, in fact, there is no such thing as "clean" recipes as most normal recipes are based on whole foods, etc. You'd have to know nothing about cooking to think you needed special recipes OR--as seems more likely--have no really understanding of what "clean eating" is supposed to be (which is certainly understandable, as there are 30 different definitions) OR be following some more restrictive one, like no beans, no flour, no sugar, no nightshades, etc.
    Having said that...I find myself eating less and less processed food, fast food or eating out period. It has nothing to do however with eating clean or any other way. Giving up some of that has been the only way that I have been able to keep my nutrient levels where they need to be. I had 2 small slices of pizza last night and more than doubled my sodium intake.

Who has suggested this is a bad thing? I just want to know why the suggestions I made are unhelpful. If you ask someone for recipes it is useful to give information as to the kinds of recipes you want. "Low sodium" or "with lean meat" or "vegetarian" are all helpful descriptions. "Clean" is not, and again IF it means not from highly processed foods (like McD's) I'm REALLY confused what people think are in normal cooking sites and cookbooks.

I note that OP has not weighed in at all, even to say thanks for all the suggestions.

She did, remember? Less Marshmallow Fluff, more apples. I've been scouring my cookbooks looking for a single one that has fluff recipes, that would also be good with apples substituted. Striking out so far. I did find several hundred recipes that use fruits and vegetables, lean meats, grains, etc. But they didn't have clean in the title so I disregarded them.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What's a clean eating recipe?

Two sites I really like for recipes are: http://www.101cookbooks.com/ and http://www.epicurious.com/

Another fun one is http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes (you don't have to drink wine with them if you don't want).

I think http://www.chow.com/recipes is another good site for recipes, as is http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes.

Anyway, whatever you think "clean" is, you should be able to find many recipes that qualify from those sites.

There are bunches of good paleo sites too, which would probably also be "clean," however you define "clean."

This is actually a pet peeve of mine, since I have tons of cookbooks and I'm really not sure what would be "unclean" about them--stuff like 660 Curries or Roasting or VegetableLove or Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking or Julia Child's books or Mark Bittman's or Greene on Greens or about a million seasonal or ethnic-themed books. It seems like any good normal cookbook would be primarily "clean" so as usual the term is mostly just confusing and unhelpful.
    Are you a cookbook *kitten*? I am so a cookbook *kitten*. I learned to cook from Julia Child's "The Way To Cook" and the Frugal Gourmet books. Don't have Greene on Greens but do have Beard on Bread. I have the Hazan book, of course, but gave my Bittman to the library.

I cannot stop myself and the librarian said they're going to name the cookbook section after me since I donated most of the books they have in there, lol.

Even when I say I'm not - absolutely NOT - going to get some trendy cookbook, like "Oh, She Glows" the chances are better than not that I'll end up getting it. I signed up for prime on amazon just to save myself the shipping on cookbooks. I buy them used on eBay.

I sit and read cookbooks just for the hell of it.

It's a sickness, I'm telling you!
  • LC932017
    LC932017 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Everyone knows what clean eating means. Some just hate the term and like to argue the point ;)

It gets taken a little too personal, IMO. But as others have suggested google is your friend or check out the recipes section on MFP. :)
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned ohsheglows. I'd like to add minimalistbaker. (if anyone is here looking for a good recipe, and not a good fight). Minimalistbaker is run by a couple, and they try to do as few ingredients as possible, and also try to eliminate excess dishes to clean, and eliminate time. They're mostly vegan, and cater to the gluten free crowd as well. Have some random ingredients (like soo many different types of flour) but you can usually find substitutes laying around. Highly recommended!!
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you like lemon, you may like my lemon chicken recipe:

Marinate chicken in lemon juice, rosemary, oregano & salt free Greek seasoning (or make your own) with a little bit of olive oil.

I like to bake this so I can baste the chicken in the lemony goodness, but it grills well too.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Live and let be.

I didn't say anything one way or the other about your recipes. I gave my opinion to the post that I responded to.

You basically did what I said one should do...post a recipe or in your case a recipe book that might help...the OP can research and see if it gives her what she wants.

I am far from offended nor do I think that any of my posts reflect that. However...If one is offended by the usage of the word "clean" to describe food I don't understand why someone would even open up the thread. Clean...sugar...paleo...they all seem to turn in to just what this thread has...over and over.

As far as the bolded above...again...I never implied that anyone said the way that I eat is bad. All I was doing was explaining that IF I used the word "clean" to describe the way I eat what I wrote would be my definition.

Oh well...

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What's a clean eating recipe?

Two sites I really like for recipes are: http://www.101cookbooks.com/ and http://www.epicurious.com/

Another fun one is http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes (you don't have to drink wine with them if you don't want).

I think http://www.chow.com/recipes is another good site for recipes, as is http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes.

Anyway, whatever you think "clean" is, you should be able to find many recipes that qualify from those sites.

There are bunches of good paleo sites too, which would probably also be "clean," however you define "clean."

This is actually a pet peeve of mine, since I have tons of cookbooks and I'm really not sure what would be "unclean" about them--stuff like 660 Curries or Roasting or VegetableLove or Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking or Julia Child's books or Mark Bittman's or Greene on Greens or about a million seasonal or ethnic-themed books. It seems like any good normal cookbook would be primarily "clean" so as usual the term is mostly just confusing and unhelpful.
    Are you a cookbook *kitten*? I am so a cookbook *kitten*. I learned to cook from Julia Child's "The Way To Cook" and the Frugal Gourmet books. Don't have Greene on Greens but do have Beard on Bread. I have the Hazan book, of course, but gave my Bittman to the library.

I cannot stop myself and the librarian said they're going to name the cookbook section after me since I donated most of the books they have in there, lol.

Even when I say I'm not - absolutely NOT - going to get some trendy cookbook, like "Oh, She Glows" the chances are better than not that I'll end up getting it. I signed up for prime on amazon just to save myself the shipping on cookbooks. I buy them used on eBay.

I sit and read cookbooks just for the hell of it.

It's a sickness, I'm telling you!

Yes, I absolutely am. :-)

I rarely cook out of cookbooks, unless I'm trying to learn a new cuisine (like Indian or those Felicia Dunlop books about different Chinese regions). But I read them and get ideas and I sometimes use them as references for a new ingredient I don't use much (like from my CSA). This is why I have lots of vegetable themed ones. And of course I enjoy them just as food porn, like that beautiful Jerusalem one.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Live and let be.

She did, remember? Less Marshmallow Fluff, more apples. I've been scouring my cookbooks looking for a single one that has fluff recipes, that would also be good with apples substituted. Striking out so far. I did find several hundred recipes that use fruits and vegetables, lean meats, grains, etc. But they didn't have clean in the title so I disregarded them.

That wasn't OP, I don't think.

That's the funny thing--on June 29 OP posted and I and a couple of others responded and gave some links (and a few of us said--quite nicely, IMO--that we weren't sure what would be different in a "clean eating" recipe vs. those in other books).

No one said anything until July 2, when marshmallow fluff person jumped in to accuse people of being "angry" about the use of the clean eating term and others insisted that everyone did too know what it meant. So then the thread became about whether or not clean eating has a clear meaning or not (that would allow us to distinguish "clean" recipes from those in Bittman's books or Julia Child or 660 Curries, etc.) and a few people who hadn't posted back when OP might have been reading the thread decided to give specific recipes ideas (that don't seem any more "clean" than what I provided, but oh, well).

I guess this is not atypical for MFP. ;-)
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Live and let be.

That wasn't OP, I don't think.

That's the funny thing--on June 29 OP posted and I and a couple of others responded and gave some links (and a few of us said--quite nicely, IMO--that we weren't sure what would be different in a "clean eating" recipe vs. those in other books).

No one said anything until July 2, when marshmallow fluff person jumped in to accuse people of being "angry" about the use of the clean eating term and others insisted that everyone did too know what it meant. So then the thread became about whether or not clean eating has a clear meaning or not (that would allow us to distinguish "clean" recipes from those in Bittman's books or Julia Child or 660 Curries, etc.) and a few people who hadn't posted back when OP might have been reading the thread decided to give specific recipes ideas (that don't seem any more "clean" than what I provided, but oh, well).

I guess this is not atypical for MFP. ;-)

Ahhhh. Yes, I see this now.

Does this mean I can give up my search for marshmallow fluff recipes that can be subbed with apples? Because I have to say that has proven to be quite challenging.

I was considering trying to find a recipe that uses McDonalds fries since you made that excellent point too. I'm sure there are some online, I mean heck, there is a Thanksgiving stuffing recipe that uses White Castle Hamburgers...
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually start with an SOS pad with a side of steel wool. Add lemon Pledge to taste. Garnish with Vim and drizzle in Javex. Mm-mm, now that's some clean eatin'.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Julia was "clean" or not, but the woman was not afraid of the fat! Butter, cream, more butter and more cream. Egads. She knew how to teach and how to write a cookbook, though!

Since everyone defines "clean" differently, we really need a definition to recommend recipes.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and avocado chopped up with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Either makes for a good light meal or a side dish.