anyone else on 1000cal and struggling?

Options
124»

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    Wait, MFP gave me a goal in the 1300s and doesn't yell at me unless I go under 1200. I am set as Male. Am I missing something?

There was a bug that was giving people goals of like 700--maybe you signed up during that period? I recommend going into goals and running your numbers again.

I re-ran with different goals this is the spread it gives me in my case (6ft 1in, 186lb, sedentary, 0 workouts a week as i allow the fitbit calorie adjustment instead)

2360 cal/day - maintenance
    2110 cal/day - 0.5 lb/week
    1860 cal/day - 1.0 lb/week
    1610 cal/day - 1.5 lb/week
    1360 cal/day - 2.0 lb/week
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    Wait, MFP gave me a goal in the 1300s and doesn't yell at me unless I go under 1200. I am set as Male. Am I missing something?

There was a bug that was giving people goals of like 700--maybe you signed up during that period? I recommend going into goals and running your numbers again.

I re-ran with different goals this is the spread it gives me in my case (6ft 1in, 186lb, sedentary, 0 workouts a week as i allow the fitbit calorie adjustment instead)

At your height and weight you should only be aiming for .5 lbs per week.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options

At your height and weight you should only be aiming for .5 lbs per week.

Ok. In the struggle of trying to keep track of "am i logging accurately enough?" "are my exercise calories accurate enough? what percentage should I eat back?" i set the goal to 2 lb thinking i would mess my measurements up and end up eating too much anyway and would end up in a healthy range by accident. But I am starting to see this is not a good plan.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    wosslogic wrote: »
    Not OP, but people don't realize that 1200 isn't enough for VERY short people to lose weight. :/ I maintained for three months on 1200 and have only started losing weight since I started sticking to 1000... It sucks a LOT, but it's actually necessary

And that comes up when a short person makes a thread, but OP is six feet tall.

I also raised that point -- but only to show how extreme it is for a 6' tall young woman to consume below the requirements for a short, late-middle aged woman!