Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Gayle - happy anniversary!

Sylvia - Happy birthday!!

Pip - OOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

After seeing Pip's x-ray, I feel wimpy for complaining about my shoulder! But, I'm gonna whine a bit more. Interactive PT started today. Ouch!

The boy child is back home until school starts. He hadn't been home an hour and he was already already asking when his sister is leaving! The answer is still the same: When I can fasten my own bra!

PT wiped me out today which is good in that I have not been hungry today. Too tired too eat is one way to keep food out of my mouth.

Tomorrow is a 6-month visit with my GP. He doesn't know I had surgery so we should have plenty to talk about.

Nothing much going on here.

Carol in NC

I'm new to the group, may I ask what surgery? Thanks for the anniversary wish.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    pip - how frustrating for you! wishing you quick recovery.

About to go out walking, working this week at a camp close to ocean :smiley: breezy and little heat so far!
    Getting back to green drinks today & will aim at counting from am on tomorrow.
    Saw all the grandkids over the weekend.
    happy pm to all of you ladies
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    17,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking
    50 minutes on the exercise bike
    nap with hubby and the pets

smiley-cool05.gifGloria, welcome, this is a great place to learn and get support and encouragement and also a place to share what you know and support and encourage others.

smiley-cool05.gifTuliplor, something I learned through trial and error is that I can successfully avoid bad eating choices by making a decision ahead of time about what I will eat and not eat....I find abstinence much easier than moderation in many cases (like pizza)

smiley-cool05.gifColleen, bravo for having your gym bag packed ahead of time...sorry about the problem with the zipper.

smiley-greet002.gifSylvia, just because cake it served, you don't have to eat it. Happy Birthday.

smiley-cool05.gifChris, good choice to abandon running in favor of walking or the elliptical...you can still get up early to exercise....there are lots of ways to raise your heart rate without running.

smiley-cool05.gifKatla, enjoy your time down the river.

smiley-cool05.gifDJ, time goes by so fast that the only way I can survive is to stay in the moment.

smiley-cool05.gifCarol/Peach, what helped me with late night snacking was to plan a full day of food before the day started and include an evening snack.

smiley-love010.gif Gayle from Minneapolis, Happy Anniversary

smiley-cool05.gifBecca, walking with friends is one of my favorite ways to stay active....better than meeting friends for a meal.

smiley-cool05.gifVicki, congrats on no birthday cookie

smiley-cool05.gifTerri, when I was 16, I had a very tall athletic boyfriend who lived next door and my mother told me that she couldn't afford to feed him and that I should stop inviting him to meals and snacks at our house.

smiley-cool05.gifPip,thanks for posting the x-rays .....ouch

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
    July Resolutions (with late-month comments
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day (every day so far)
    * drink at least nine glasses of water a day (every day so far)
    *answer two long overdue e mails (one sent, the other not started)
    *strength training twice a week (six times in three and a half weeks)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat One of my TOPS walking buddies had foot surgery a while back, so we all let her keep the pace. It is slow enough for me that I can yack, go the two miles, and afterwards Im a happy energized feeling. Mostly we talk gossip but that is like the RULE here in smallstown USA right?
  • Annr
    Options
    @lizzylawless22 Though your App sounds appealing, the converting calories into money sounds abit scary. I need to keep my own weightloss journey and my money quite apart. I get modivated by people and the sharing of life stories, and how people venture thru their journeys of weightloss. But good luck in your endeavors.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

NMMargaret, the flowers are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Gloria, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. So sorry about the losses and problems you’ve had. Good for you on getting back on a healthy track. Come often and share what you like.

Penny. I feel for you and your shoes. There is nothing worse than being at an event with your feet killing you. Maybe I need to try some of your dill from Norway cause the dill here is just dill tasting. What fun to see so many baby turkeys.

Debbie, welcome. Most of us have done a zillion different diets and knowing that they don’t work, we have sworn off of them. That is how we ended up on MFP, where we have learned to eat healthy, within certain calorie limits and exercise along with the good eating. By logging our food, we can keep up with what we eat and make needed changes. This is a lifelong journey for us with no end. When we reach our goal weight, we just move into maintenance mode and keep on going. I wish you luck.

Aleta, is this your first visit to this forum? If it is or not, welcome. Vacations are a hard time to stay on track, but you can keep logging your food. I hope you have fun at the beach.

Mary, I was just yacking about time passing so fast. I just turned 68 so I’m just a young chick. And even though some of these ladies make it sound like a breeze, you are not alone in this journey being difficult at times. Some days I seem to do fine with little effort and many days, I just want to go eat every carb in site. The main thing is that I don’t and as slow as it is, I’m still losing weight. It ain’t easy, but it’s worth it!!!

Gayle, Happy Anniversary!!! You must have found a keeper, too. Good for you.

Becca, congrats on the weight loss. Great pic of the eagles!!

Beth, with what is going on with your sons, I think it’s great that you are staying on track with your food. Move when you can and the rest of the exercise will wait for you. I know some of the ladies may not feel that way but just do what you can. (((Hugs)))

NMMargaret, jumpy.gif I love the announcements in the church bulletin. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr, did you feel the earthquakes??? That’s scary.

Sylvia, so glad you had/having a good day. You deserve it. You are just a young tike, so no blammin’ nothin’ on age. crutches.gif

DrKatie, I think Pip has been copying your homework. Tee hee hee

Terri, that is terrible about the bee sting in your hair. I don’t have enough for there to be 5 in mine because I wear it real short.

Yvonne, I thought the pickle juice remedy sounded disgusting, too. I’ll stick with my “Leg Cramp” pills. Lol

Pip, I can’t read x rays so need you to interpret for me. It doesn’t look too good from where I sit. 

Rori, feel better soon.

Sylvia, don’t feel wimpy. Sorry the PT is so painful.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Annr
    Options
    *knocking on wood right now* We have managed to bypass earthquakes. We were in Japan when the huge earthquake happened in Loma Prieta CA. Then we moved to CA and there was a huge earthquake in Japan. Someone was definately looking out for us.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Howdy all I was MIA this weekend; just very busy working outside in the 110 degree heat index. I think I got a bit dehydrated; no matter how much I drink I feel thirsty. did lots of yard work and refinished some of the trim from the kitchen where the pet bowls go....they looked pretty miserable! now they look great. One more coat of varnish and the wood floor guy who's coming Wednesday will put them back on for me.

Don't know if I told you but the kitchen floor is fabulous.

Today the temp was something like 84 when I went to work and the humidity was 92%. My sunglasses fogged up!

I read all the posts and am sending hugs to those who need them and high fives for the rest of you. Take care, Meg from saun-Omaha
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    What a joy to see so many healthy happy active women on here. If this was not reward enough in itself, Check out this new app the FitCoin download now. App synchs with your calorie tracking device i.e. fitbit, and converts your calories into virtual money. Thats it! Its that simple yet genius. Purchase gift certificates, discounts or promotional items with your calories burned. Now thats my idea of motivation and support for being fit and health conscious. Happy Tracking ladies!

You're a fake and spam. You may wish to stop trolling.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Ooops! I said I was posting a pic of the apricots-in-cream shoes I found to go with my fancy dress but I forgot to upload it. You can see why my feet were killing me after an entire evening...

toibwjooohpk.jpg

I've read through to the end of the thread but now it's way past my bedtime. Catch y'all tomorrow!

Penny, not at the Pole now either

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DJ - Oh yes the bigger one shook me back and forth in my desk chair for a few seconds. Woke Jack from his nap in his recliner lol
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,360 Member
    Options
    Did 15 minutes of the Yoga for Belly Butt and Thigh DVD, held my plank for 2 min 45 seconds, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a downloadable spinning DVD.

Do rhododendrons attract bees? I seem to recall when we had them in PA, there were always bees around them. But one thing I do have to say, they were a good weather indicator. If it got very cold outside, the leaves would curl up so you knew that if the leaves were curled, it was cold outside.

Joyce - so sorry you're in pain. that was good that you were able to get yourself up

Heather - I always say "what's done is done and can't be undone"

Lisa - good for you lighting into that server. What a day you had! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter and SIL

Heather - that feta and spinach pie, I'm going to try making it for our pool party. Do you serve it in the pie plate or do you remove it from the pie plate? If you remove it, do you turn the pie over, take off the pie pan, and then turn it right-side-up? Also, can you make it ahead of time and freeze it?

Gloworm - I'm so sorry about your sister and brother. After that I can certainly understand why you reverted back. But you're here now, and that's what's important. Onward and upward!

tuliplor - I love to dip baby carrots into hummus. celery sticks would be good, too. If I'm out in the sun for any length of time, I burn like a lobster. I only stay out for an hour/day with sunscreen. Good for you not having that pizza

Went to exercise, went in the pool, went to senior bowling, then ceramics then mahjongg

Sylvia - happy birthday

Welcome everyone new!

Gayle - happy anniversary

Jane - I make these pineapple zucchini muffins, so I'm sure the blueberry zucchinin ones are wonderful

janetr - so glad you're safe

Alison - I've been using Debrox on my ears for years.

Rori - feel better fast. Sending healing thoughts your way

pip - OUCH!!!!

Penny - I don't think I would have lasted more than 5 minutes in those shoes. I hand it to you!

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Meg in Omaha - I hear ya, like a sauna here in Oklahoma City too.. Ugh!

Penny (not at the Pole now) :) You look beautiful so perhaps the pain was worth it. Wish my feet and ankles looked that pretty in a pair of heels.

Michele - Thanks, sweetie, it was just a shaker. Nothing serious :)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Got to work 15 mins early, and walked up 10 flights of stairs (up 4, around a hall, up 3,around a hall, up 3 more and then took the elevator), for lunch (with another 6 or 7 flights) and, after work, to the ferry landing, which also has some stairs. Fitbit counted 20 stories, and, for a change, may be right.

Lisa - An inch off waist, hips and thighs is a powerful NSV. Inches mean more than pounds.
    Amen! for the previous.
    The restaurant: wow. What a slog.
    You have a right to be proud of your family ... though I think they shoulda been on the payroll for that day.

Lorena - Good idea, not asking about the job.
    Glad the prednisone took care of the cough. When will you be seeing the doc that put you on a diet?

Lillian - oh, gee. Sorry to hear about the big critters and the bees.

Gloria - welcome! That's a great goal, and an impressive loss so far. What does the LiveFitRevolution advocate?

Tulip Lori - just about any sorta raw veggies can be dipped in hummus. Slices of zuccini and summer squash, broccoli or cauliflower florets, carrot sticks, celery sticks ... I donno if mushroom slices would stand up to hummus, or how they'd taste with it. Bell pepper strips are good, especially the riper (not green).
    <later> I see others made the same suggestion. :)
    I grew up pre-sunblock, and used to start every summer bright red. The worst was when a friend of my mother's said she'd heard that vinegar helps sunburn and I was dumb enough to try it. OWWWWW!

Colleen - !! I hope you were able to fix the zipper.

Chris - yes, protect your knees! What about bicycling?

Sylvia -
    What about keeping a knife in a life vest pocket,so that if you get caught on a snag you can cut yourself out of the vest?
    Happy birthday, you young sprout, you!

Barbie - congratz on pizza reziztanz!

Joyce - Much sympathy about your fall. Glad you were eventually able to get up.
    "Well-dressed, flashy, sassy and hip" - that works for me!

Fiddletime - I'm lucky in that drinking's never tempted me - I don't like feeling lightheaded. Just as well; I do plenty 'nuff damage with food and junk food.

Kim in N Cal - what about cutting the curry recipe in half, and then freezing leftovers in individual serving sizes?

MNMargaret - lovely wedding pix. Lovely iris.

Heather - veg curry sounds good. And yeah, don't dwell on the binge. Start where you are, not where you might have been.

Penny - I'd probably have just worn the comfy black shoes. Feet matter. :) But you sure look fine!

Allison - I think I said it before, but please see a doctor!

Debbie, welcome! I don't think I could handle a juice diet. I want *substance*!

Peep & Terri & Sharon - My sister-in-law the nurse taught me that the way to get rid of a cramp is to stretch the muscle. So for a foot cramp you pull up on the foot, bending the toes backward. For a calf cramp, pretty much the same thing except you don't have to worry about the toes. I sometimes wake with bad calf cramps, and thought I should knead them until Ann taught me better.

Peep - Holy cr@p, woman. Those bones -- I'm no surgeon, but I'd guess you'll need surgery and some bits of titanium to fit things together.

Aleta - even if you go way past the calorie limit, log the food. Adding notes to the diary may help you figure out better eating patterns.

JanetR - See if you can find a swimming teacher who'll start you out with mini-dips in the shallow end. You might even start by blowing bubbles in the sink or a bowl. As long as you're blowing bubbles out, wanter can't get into your nose. After doing that for a while, you could try holding your breath and submerging your face for half a second, a second, a few seconds, and gradually longer. Holding your breath will keep the water out, too.
    Yup, yoghurt = yogurt. Raitha = raita = yogurt, shredded cucumber & mint/herbs/spices.

Gayle, happy anniversary!

Rori - best of luck with whatever is causing your nausea.

Rori - I never thought paddleboarding looked easy. I've never dared try it because I was never wearing a swimsuit when I had a chance.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sharon, sorry you had to have such a bad day. If you are going to be there that long you may have to set some boundaries. I dearly love my 8 year old DGD but her excuberance can really get to me.

Lisa, you poor dear.I sure hope with all of that work that you ca open tomorrow.Your family is so wonderful that they chose to come and help you as much as they did. It's such a shame that the servers and bartenders don't get along. Their jobs depend on each other. I agree with the others that your family deserves to have some kind of compensation. I hope before and after pictures were taken of some of that mess for them to remember.Gloria, welcome. You can do it! I you don't be prepared to receive a good hard swift kick in the butt for South Carolina. Or maybe she just does that to the 'old ones' here. You sure have had, and still do, a lot fo stressors in your life.

Katla, no I still have not resumed my MS medicine. Have fun with all your boating friends. Do you have more than one boat so you can sail there or will you drive?

DJ, a stripper pit is when a coal mine has lost it's usefullness and is just a big empty pit. The state requires them to 'beautify' the area when they are done with it. So there are a lot of wonderful rolling hills and valleys and small lakes or big ponds. One of our golf courses is in one of those stripper pits. Others are jsut used for local swimming holes but are dangerous since no one really knows how deep they are.

Penny, I had to smile on your last statement about what God must have been saying. Yes, He does like to get the last word in quite a bit. I though I was going crazy because you said you were going to post a picture of your heels and I didn't see them. Are they a little long for you since they aren't hugging your heel and therefore pushing you toes further into the shoe?

Allison, maybe it's not seasonal allergies at all???

terri,My husband think that I am needed at all his doctor appointments since I was a nurse. It's actually the opposite. Sometimes if a doctor knows the nurse and has worked with her, the doctor tends to talk to and at the spouse and speak in medical jargon and the patient has no idea what in the world is being said. We both go to the same cardiologist and I had to tell her that it bothers Charlie that she looks at me all the time. It has benefited me just one time. When my dad had his first cardiac catheterization, the doctor took my Mom and myself down to the lab and showed us his films. The nurses were amazed. No doctor had ever done that to a family before.

Aleta, welcome

Gayle, Happy anniversary. We are going on 43 years.

Debbie, Lesley from Tazmania juices at times according to how her nutritionist directs her diet that month. But she is having family problems and is also sick and isn't on the board right now. We sure hop she comes back.

Sylvia, happy birthday!!!! According to how old I am, you'rs an old lady now!!!!LOL >:)

Pip, that looks awful. Sure am glad he sent you to an orthopedic guy.

carol, no matter how tired you are, you MUST eat. DJ will come and kick your butt. Gently.

Janetr, I check the national earthquake site daily and one day I told Charlie that Oklahoma had more earthquakes than California that day. He didn't believe me that Oklahoma ever had any earthquakes and wondered why I had never told him. I said that it was just so common that I never told him. I had to show him proof for several days.

Well as long as I take my Advil and keep moving, I don't feel to bad. Last night I did find out that even though my left hip is the most sore, my right hip and neck are sore. It was actually easier to sleep on my left hip that right last night, don't know why. So today I get up around 11:30 AM, please don't throw anything at me for sleeping that late, took my medicines and had lunch. A tree removal guy came at 1 and I noticed it was kind of hard walking in the grass, I was kind of wobbly. After lunch and Charlie was walking at the mall, I realized I couldn't stay up anymore. It wasn't my typical really tired day. So I went to bed, maybe 1:45 and next thing I knew Charlie was waking me up at 4:45! I had no idea. But then this evening when I was getting my bedtime medicine pill keeper out I knew what had happened. Last night when I took my medicine out of the PM medicine keeper, I put the keeper in front. So this morning I took my bedtime medicine! No wonder I slept soundly for 3 hours and could have slept longer. A big OOPS. Wish me luck in sleeping tonight. I know my FitBit sleep analysis for last night is all over the chart. I hate having to use a heating pad at night. It turns itself off, if you turn, you have to reposition the pad. So no heating pad tonight, just me and my Advil and regualr sleeping pills which is Clonazepan.

The tree guy did give us a good estimate and said he would also put in a dumptruck of dirt for us. So far it is way less than we were thinking. We were prepared to pay up to $10,000 for this. The company I called Friday didn't call today. I called them back and have not recieved a call from them so they are now marked off the list. Back to the drawing board for a 3rd estimate.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – Ouch! But glad after waiting a bit you could get up.

Heather – great job on identifying the triggers and beginning to control for them

Lisa – wow (I have said that before) your family did a stand up job… anyone who can hang out while others are working that hard and play on their phone deserve a kick in the behind right out the door!

Gloria – welcome!

Tuliplor – I cut cucumbers into thin rounds and use them a “chips”, carrots or jicama would also be good.

Sylvia – cake.? Is today your birthday? Happy Birthday!!!!!

Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane – thanks for sharing so much! I am not a prayer-er (?) but will send good wishes Nathan’s way.

Vicki – do you ride your own “bike” or behind dh? One of my closet friends rides motorcycles and she loves it… I’m a chicken – had a bad experience as a kid..

Rori - nausea and discomfort ??? not prego are you??? LOL hope you are better soon.

Pip – ok my health skills are I usually can put on a bandaid… but that xray doesn’t look right at all!!! Bones are supposed to line up!

On Earthquakes, I live in CA and lived in the LA area for Northridge, SF area for Loma Prieta and currently live within 3 miles of the Hayward fault ( the one they think will go BIG next) so I totally do not understand why anyone would not be fighting big business to end fracking… I had friends lose everything in Loma Prieta – One friend was still homeless 3 years later. I get that this is like living with hurricanes or tornados, but to do something that would cause them is nuts.

Janet – the cutting the curry recipe in half is a good one, do you know if coconut milk freezes ok?

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles 7/25 - 131miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 9
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    W3 – final week of camp
    W4 – summer starts (for me) 3 days with my “boys” , a trip to SF,
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    made it part way through pg 67. I will have to catch up tomorrow.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Michele - it is a cake, not a pie, so you turn it out just like a cake. I make mine in a loose bottom cake tin, but the mixture is a bit sloppy so I put a baking sheet under it. To serve at a pot luck I would try baking it in a square or oblong pan. I would put some baking paper on the bottom so it comes out ok. I think I will do that for DH's 70th pre-party in October and cut it into small squares. Maybe with a cocktail stiick in each.

Yoghurt, yogurt, - I make my own. Yum. We eat a lot of it. For raita , like JanetM I mix it with finely chopped cucumber and mint, also garlic and scallions. In Turkey it is cacik (pronounced jajick), in Greece tzatziki. I love it as a dip with veggies instead of hummus, which is very high in calories. I do occasionally make a low fat version of hummus which doesn't do so much damage, but generally it is one of my favourite things that I have to avoid.

Pip - Yoweeeeeeeeeeeee! :sad:

Terri - DH used to be a club cricket, a fast bowler. I think it was the reason his first marriage failed. :laugh: Now he just watches. We are lucky to live 7 minutes drive from a wonderful stadium, which occasionally hosts Test (International) matches. DH is a member of the Hampshire County Cricket Club, so he can use the membership room with food and bar if the weather is not so good. You can't play cricket in the rain. Normally a match is 4 days, but there are also one day matches and 20/20 matches in the evenings, when each team has 20 overs. The matches are between counties. Hampshire has just been promoted to the first division, but is not doing brilliantly in the 4 day games. :cry:
    I am not remotely sporty, but I have always had men around me who are. Mostly these days it is the "horizontal championships" for them. (Watching from the couch)

Must get on. My yoga friend is coming for a session in the living room as our teacher takes the summer holidays off.

Love Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Pip~ im not a Dr, but I agree with everyone else,that looks like surgery in your future.. heal quick... love ya lots <
    <3
    I feel a bit better than I did yesterday afternoon..I truly think it is allergies, as my ears have been clogged up off and on and ,dont think it is sinus,as I dont feel any pressure.
    it is supposed to be a scorcher for the week here in the 90s all week..
    today the other Dr is back so we will be running all day long, and the patient we have before lunch has mental issues and likes to talk more so than get work done, so we might end up working right through lunch .9 hours of running.
    I dont work until 1 pm tomorrow so will probably mow the lawn early
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Joyce, my e><perience with tree guys is that they are TERRIBLY unreliable. I have a huge silver maple in my back yard that the idiot previous owners built a wood working shop right beside! It has grown in to the shop buckling the roof, making the door not shut. Since I moved in to my house 14 years ago I was trying to find someone to take it out- there were still a few inches between it and the shop. They would come out, look at it, many would not even give me an estimate or talk to me, and the ones that did I would tell them that was fine, take it out. They would never show up to take it out. The estimates were always really high- I think they didn't want to bother with a difficult removal. I had told them that I didn't care if it damaged the wood shop- I was worried about it falling on the house. So they could do what they needed to do to get it out. I would put that in writing for them. The tree is still there, and now that I am on disability I don't have the money to have it removed. So it is slowly destroying the wood shop. The people I bought my house from were do it yourselfers and were complete idiots. I have had to undo or redo everything they touched!