Why do people act like eating is a chore?

Options

Replies

• jball1954
    jball1954 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The FIRST FWP is complaining in general.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    It's really "funny" to see replies from people who have 50-100lbs more to lose (!) and still say "I don't understand how anyone can eat 2,000 kcal... I'm stuffed after 1,200" etc...
    So how exactly did you get overweight if you're stuffed after 1,200 kcal?
    Am I the only one who thinks that's ridiculous?

For myself: I love my food. And I love my sweets. That's the reason why I became that heavy. I have to restrict myself to stick with 1,300-1,500 kcal a day. I don't feel starved, but I don't feel super full either on an average day.

Am I the only one who thinks its ridiculous how many people are saying this? Your body changes..your stomach shrinks..you view food differently than you did before.

That would make sense if people were eating the same types of foods as before and simply couldn't enough of it.

That's not the case. These people are going from nothing but calorie-dense foods to pretty much nothing but "healthy" or "clean" or "diet" foods that are low in calories.

If you ate hamburgers and ice cream for every meal, then went to eating carrots and spinach and grilled chicken breast, yeah you're going to get full on fewer calories. But if you just can't eat enough calories with veggies and lean meats, have a freakin hamburger and ice cream sometimes.

The point is that it's stupid to say you "can't" eat enough calories when it's so easy to just incorporate some of your old foods.

Easy to say just add some of your old foods. I just did that today after weeks of not eating out. I got a veggie sandwich and a salad. Now I'm over my sodium, my head is pounding and I'm afraid to even check my blood pressure. The point of many people on here is that none of you know what somebody else goes thru. That's great that some consume 2300 calories a day or don't feel stuffed at 1200 calories, but people need to quit judging others. Everyone is different and you don't know why they are eating the way they are or consuming 1200 calories or eating very clean etc.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Although 1,200 may be just a bit too little for me, 1,600 cals is more than filling and I can certainly see how it would differ for others (height, time spent working out, etc...). Truthfully though, I don't really understand why I see so many people on this site bashing others for eating 1,200 cals. Everybody is not built equally.

Well, if 1200 calories is a healthy deficit for you, you should think about getting some exercise every now and then.

LMFAO

I am a 4'11" female in the normal weight range. I get 30 min of moderate cardio 3-5 times per week and I lift heavy to retain muscle. My TDEE-20% is 1260. You're hilarious.
  • ncmedic201
    Options
    Beats me, this is not a problem I've dealt with unless I was sick. 2000+ calories for me forever! More seriously, I do wonder how this happens. Most of the folks in the 1200 camp say they feel full eating 1200 calories of healthy foods, which makes sense. But it's not like those eating way more than that are gorging on McDonalds and Pizza Hut; they're eating healthy foods too! So how is it that those in the latter category are able to pack in all that food while the 1200 cal folks are having a hard time? Just musing...doesn't matter to me either way.

Because not everyone can eat the same foods. While you may be able to pack your day full of certain high density foods while watching your protein etc, I am packing mine full of high potassium/low sodium foods. Not everyone is going to eat the same diet and this will affect the amount of food and calories that are taken in.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    My 4-year-old grandson thinks eating is a chore. He hates it. Every bite is a struggle with him.

Heh... I laugh to myself when I hear kids complaining that they don't want to eat because I don't ever remember being that way. I would drop whatever I was doing at the promise of food.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Although 1,200 may be just a bit too little for me, 1,600 cals is more than filling and I can certainly see how it would differ for others (height, time spent working out, etc...). Truthfully though, I don't really understand why I see so many people on this site bashing others for eating 1,200 cals. Everybody is not built equally.

Well, if 1200 calories is a healthy deficit for you, you should think about getting some exercise every now and then.

LMFAO

I am a 4'11" female in the normal weight range. I get 30 min of moderate cardio 3-5 times per week and I lift heavy to retain muscle. My TDEE-20% is 1260. You're hilarious.

Where did you work this out? As I am the same height and have the same activity level, and my TDEE-20% is about 1600 cals.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    300cals is easy, just go eat some nuts. hahahaha.
    Or Cheese! Lol, I admit it's easy to think that when you see those posts. I think it is a combination of things, though.

1. Some older, small, sedentary women probably don't need many calories. More than 1000 likely but not a ton.
    2. Some people are eating so 'clean' as mentioned they can't possible eat enough calories. These people probably just need to add a little fat and they'd be fine.
    3. Some of these people seem edging onto an eating disorder and I don't really know what to say to them except that they need to eat more than 700 cals a day. Those are the hard cases.

There may be other ones that I'm forgetting, but this problem seems to be the absolute easiest solved problem in the history of problems.

Oh! I thought of one more thing. Medications.
  • TurquoisWater
    TurquoisWater Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You're hungry a few hours later, because that's normal. You're supposed to have many (4-6) meals a day, so you need to eat every few hours. That's the part that is a chore...making yourself a meal that is healthy every few hours.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

LMFAO

4'11, 100 lbs (BMI of about 20), 25 years old [guesstimate]... BMR is about 1250. Sedentary TDEE is 1500. Minus 20% is 1200.

That's a 1200 calorie a day target *sedentary*. Zero exercise.

30 minutes of 500 cal/hour cardio 3x a week, plus 3x strength training at 50 cals per session, gives an extra 130 calories per day, bringing the target to 1380 calories per day.

So you're actually a great example. A very small woman (4'11, normal weight range) doing the *bare minimum* of exercise - 30 minutes of cardio a few times a week and some lifting - still requires well more than 1200 calories a day for a healthy deficit.

If YOU require 1260-1380 calories per day, for what kind of person would 1200 be an appropriate goal? The only answer would be "someone who wants to lose weight but already weighs well less than 100 pounds, and does not exercise very much."
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Beats me, this is not a problem I've dealt with unless I was sick. 2000+ calories for me forever! More seriously, I do wonder how this happens. Most of the folks in the 1200 camp say they feel full eating 1200 calories of healthy foods, which makes sense. But it's not like those eating way more than that are gorging on McDonalds and Pizza Hut; they're eating healthy foods too! So how is it that those in the latter category are able to pack in all that food while the 1200 cal folks are having a hard time? Just musing...doesn't matter to me either way.

Because not everyone can eat the same foods. While you may be able to pack your day full of certain high density foods while watching your protein etc, I am packing mine full of high potassium/low sodium foods. Not everyone is going to eat the same diet and this will affect the amount of food and calories that are taken in.

Here you go, hopefully this helps with your excuses.

http://www.etoolsage.com/Chart/Food_Diet.asp?Cate=0&amp;Chk307=307&amp;SN307=17&amp;SR307=<=&amp;Amount307=140&amp;Chk208=208&amp;SN208=33&amp;SR208=>=&amp;Amount208=400&amp;pageNo=1
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

LMFAO

Where did you work this out? As I am the same height and have the same activity level, and my TDEE-20% is about 1600 cals.

I'll point out that I'm also talking about net calories. I probably eat a solid 1400-1500, as I eat back 75-90% of my workout calories, though I won't lie, often more, or I would be at goal now, instead of maintaining.
  • ncmedic201
    Options

http://www.etoolsage.com/Chart/Food_Diet.asp?Cate=0&amp;Chk307=307&amp;SN307=17&amp;SR307=<=&amp;Amount307=140&amp;Chk208=208&amp;SN208=33&amp;SR208=>=&amp;Amount208=400&amp;pageNo=1

That's a list of low sodium foods...now that has to be combined with high potassium foods. Eating low sodium is much easier than eating high potassium. As far as excuses, you don't know anything about me. I'm eating 1600 calories a day because it's what makes my BP stay down. Do I feel like puking by the end of the day? Absolutely. Do I do it anyway because it's what is best for my health? Yes Why don't you try and keep your potassium at 4700 mg and sodium at 1500 for a few weeks and see how easy it is. Sure, I could eat potatoes and beans every single day but who can really maintain a good healthy lifestyle eating the exact same foods every single day? You judgmental know it all's crack me up. You think just because you live your life one way that every one else should fit into that exact same mold!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You're hungry a few hours later, because that's normal. You're supposed to have many (4-6) meals a day, so you need to eat every few hours. That's the part that is a chore...making yourself a meal that is healthy every few hours.

No, you don't have to eat 6 times a day or even every few hours. Your metabolism doesn't slow down if you skip a meal.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

LMFAO

I'll point out that I'm also talking about net calories. I probably eat a solid 1400-1500, as I eat back 75-90% of my workout calories, though I won't lie, often more, or I would be at goal now, instead of maintaining.

ok, net calories is a completely different conversation.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options

LMFAO

But the point of the TDEE method is that you don't have to eat your exercise cals as they are already calculated in TDEE, it's a gross calorie method, not NET, net would be the MFP method where you have to track exercise as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • MightyMouse19
    Options
    It is the second most ridiculous first world problem, complaining about having a hard time eating enough. The ultimate fwp being, complaining how hard it is to drink water.

ETA: This assumes no medical issues.

Great point!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh: , I agree!! I'm 5'2 and eat between 1700-2000 calories!!

I see it happen all the time with the 1200 calorie and lower eaters, they start binging or hit plateaus or start gaining weight!! Than come on MFP forum crying for help!! :ohwell:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly. My maintenance is 2300 cals, and some times I'm still starving after that, two days this past week i ate 3000 cals!
    How do some people claim they're too full after 1200 cals? :noway:

I've had days where I'm on full on 1200. Not many, but some days I'm just not as hungry as others.

But I'm not sure I'll every understand the compulsion some feel to brag about how much or what they eat.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    But the point of the TDEE method is that you don't have to eat your exercise cals as they are already calculated in TDEE, it's a gross calorie method, not NET, net would be the MFP method where you have to track exercise as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right, and this mix of methods makes for a whole lot of confusion on the MFP boards.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

That's a list of low sodium foods...now that has to be combined with high potassium foods. Eating low sodium is much easier than eating high potassium. As far as excuses, you don't know anything about me. I'm eating 1600 calories a day because it's what makes my BP stay down. Do I feel like puking by the end of the day? Absolutely. Do I do it anyway because it's what is best for my health? Yes Why don't you try and keep your potassium at 4700 mg and sodium at 1500 for a few weeks and see how easy it is. Sure, I could eat potatoes and beans every single day but who can really maintain a good healthy lifestyle eating the exact same foods every single day? You judgmental know it all's crack me up. You think just because you live your life one way that every one else should fit into that exact same mold!

Here you go.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5951007707P?ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM5951007707&sid=IDx20130125xMPHLWx015

And it's the exact opposite, it is the people who are in the very small percentile that get all bent out of shape when somebody gives good advice to the 90% of people that it would work for. They always have to chime in with "Well I have a special medical condition so you are wrong, and shouldn't give advice to the rest of the people it will work for, so keep your info to yourself." great we get it you have a special condition, but that doesn't mean what people are saying doesn't work for everyone else.