Why losing weight feels so effortless for me this time around.

Options

Replies

• PhoebeJeebies
    PhoebeJeebies Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is one amazing post. I agree with everything you said. And I LOVE #2. That's how I started my weight loss journey and it was the only way I could be successful. Not everyone starts this way but for me it felt so good to be moving, to feel strong, to feel like food was being used as FUEL for the activity that I LOVE (Jazzercise :smile: ). Thanks so much for this.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Bit personal but ok...

Like how I don't feel like I look nice in tight clothes and I know that a flat stomach will change that.

Or how when I wear shorts to the gym I chafe and I know that smaller legs will change that.

Or how when my bra cuts into my back I get what I call 'back boobs' and I know that less body fat will change that.

In my opinion when all those change I will be much happier and comfortable, therefore changing my attitude/making me more confident. Then I will love myself.

The OP is saying you need to love yourself for who you are inside. If you don't, you won't give a damn what you look like on the outside. You won't think you're worth putting effort into.

When I started with MFP, I was saying I think I'm pretty awesome, and I deserve the best for myself.

If you don't think you deserve the things you want, you'll never have a chance of getting what you want.

To add to this awesome post, even if you think that losing weight will make you love yourself, there's a chance that once at a smaller size, you'll just find something else to be dissatisfied with yourself about.

It really is important to accept yourself at any and every stage of everything.
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Checking in with you all here now in 2016:

I loved myself at 241 pounds last April, and I still love myself now at 207. My self worth isn't defined by my gravitational pull, physical shell, nor food choices.

2tfd74pmea6w.jpeg

Non weight victories:

And as of this month I have been diet free for 3 years! When I track, I'm not fundamentalist about it, but rather I see it simply as a tool. However, I am finding that my body is smarter than an app in gauging how much fuel I need and all I need to do is listen and respect it. I move more, listen to my body more, and feel great mentally and physically. I am stronger, faster, and get sick less since developing a workout habit. I pay attention to how foods make me feel and make choices to feel well as often as possible, because I am worth it. I've inspired my family to ditch dieting and move more.

And to recap: I used to be a yo-yo dieter, obsessive compulsive calorie counter, binge eater, "sugar addict," with a horrible body image and sense of worth. Working from the inside out has done wonders for me, so if you are stuck in the diet cycle, consider ditching the calorie counting and obsessiveness in exchange for some soul searching first.

<3

Happy New Year!
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.
    I've been on and off dieting for years and always starting to use mfp and falling off the wagon.
    So many years I wasted not realising I control my weight not the other way round ( even when I was a lot lighter)

So #1 love yourself enough to change for life , not some quick fix diet.
    If you love your body your body will love you.
    And I agree with # 2 moving more. I don't go to the gym, I have no time ( 2 young kids and a husband that often works late) to do classes like I used to. But I have my Fitbit zip, I can see the progress it has gives me in steps and a calorie deficit so I can fit more in my daily goal.

The more active i have been up lifts me and also Spurs me on. If I have a higher cal day , it's not the end of the world and I don't need to give up.

It too has taken me years to get to this place.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This thread continues to deliver.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bump! More people need to read this.
  • vilyda123
    vilyda123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I needed to read your post today. Thank you.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • twynings
    twynings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brill post I have three rules get mindset right. Don't think about food at all . Make it a way of life. Remember Mary popping for every job that must be done there's an element of fun find the fun the jobs a game apply it to dieting and above all have a god day out there ☺
  • TracyPedersen
    TracyPedersen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great post :smile:
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've had a few days of positivity and then kind of crashed last night! Needed to read this! Thank you! Will work again on loving myself!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    OP, brilliant post. Very positive, thank you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    elleelise wrote: »

I loved myself at 241 pounds last April, and I still love myself now at 207. My self worth isn't defined by my gravitational pull, physical shell, nor food choices.

2tfd74pmea6w.jpeg

Non weight victories:

And as of this month I have been diet free for 3 years! When I track, I'm not fundamentalist about it, but rather I see it simply as a tool. However, I am finding that my body is smarter than an app in gauging how much fuel I need and all I need to do is listen and respect it. I move more, listen to my body more, and feel great mentally and physically. I am stronger, faster, and get sick less since developing a workout habit. I pay attention to how foods make me feel and make choices to feel well as often as possible, because I am worth it. I've inspired my family to ditch dieting and move more.

And to recap: I used to be a yo-yo dieter, obsessive compulsive calorie counter, binge eater, "sugar addict," with a horrible body image and sense of worth. Working from the inside out has done wonders for me, so if you are stuck in the diet cycle, consider ditching the calorie counting and obsessiveness in exchange for some soul searching first.

<3

Happy New Year!

Oh wow you must be tall because you don't look 207 pounds at all. Are you sure your scale isn't broken?
  • tuckedawayplace
    tuckedawayplace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing!
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This was nice to read! Ive always gotten discouraged at the number on the scale. Meaning as Ive only went down a couple lbs since the end of Jan and its discouraging at times. But I wanna be happy and healthy and thats all that matters
  • elleelise
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    elleelise wrote: »

2tfd74pmea6w.jpeg

Non weight victories:

<3

Happy New Year!

Oh wow you must be tall because you don't look 207 pounds at all. Are you sure your scale isn't broken?

Scale is totally accurate. :) Bodies and weights all look differently. MyBodyGallery is a perfect example. Which goes to say that weight means very, very little in the scheme of things.
  • elleelise
    Options
    Just to check in, I'm officially down to 191.8 pounds, 50 lost since last April. Intuitive Eating and not obsessing about food or calories can work y'all. I haven't restricted, dieted, counted, taken foods out of my diet, nor hated my body along the way. I simply have found joy in movement, I listen to my body's cues and try to respect what it's telling me, and I practice unconditional love for myself. That's pretty much it.

As a former "sugar addict" I can tell you then I no longer have food issues and basically never think or obsess about food until I am hungry, and this comes from someone who used to have NIGHTMARES about ice cream when I was on a diet, ha! If someone told me five years ago that all of this was going to happen, I would have laughed in their face.

If I could break out of the diet/binge cycle and learn to love my body, so can you!
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post! :) You rock!
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Leesa_Michelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lovely post!!