Diet pop/soda

Options

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'll be quite honest, though it may not have any calories, sugars, etc. in it, it is highly toxic to your body. It has many ingredients that have been tested to cause cancer in rats, and actually the artificial sugar still triggers your brain that it's sugar and (normally) causes you to crave foods that are fatty and sugary -- leading to weight gain. It has no positives. This is just my opinion after reading and researching it since I started my weightloss journey. Now don't get me wrong, I have one every now and then.. But never everyday. Water, naturally flavored water with fruit, and unsweetened tea are your best options for optimal health and nutrition.

Did you read MAD magazine and The Onion for your "research"?

No actually. But I would love to know the positives you can get from this, since apparently I have the wrong interpretation. Coke isn't good for you.. So why would Diet Coke with an artificial sugar be any better than what they say about cokes? The government may allow it in our food, but that doesn't make it nutritionally valuable. It also allows HFCS, Soy Lecthin, Mono and Di Glycerides etc. but those are definitely not beneficial to our bodies.
    And also... It even says artificial. It's fake. Made to taste sweeter than sugar.
    I wasn't trying to get into some big debate, but never have I heard anyone say that diet coke is good for you and your weightloss. All it does is feed chemicals into your body. The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain.
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc. if you read something that says diet coke is good for you check to see who is sponsoring the advertisement, article, commercial or whatever. I see diet coke as bad for you, and that's how I will always view it.

False... a thousand times false. Please just stop.

Please explain, because I would really like to know how it's good for you.

Just let it go at that. You're talking to the equivalent of a preschool classroom when it comes to actual health knowledge. Every calorie is equal to this crowd.

Oh hey, look, it's you again, he who like to make exaggerated claims, is unable to substantiate them, and then never returns to the thread. Might as well move along to the next one, as your success here will likely follow that of every other time you try and "debate". Classy job there insulting the intelligence of those who have repeatedly called you out, only for you to jump ship.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Diet Dr. Pepper is tasty. That's my only criteria for deciding whether or not to consume it.

I drink water like a fiend. I have no worries about a little bit of tasty, happy bubbles adding to my fluid consumption for the day.

BUT, BUT CHEMIKILLZ......CHEMIKILLZZZZZ!!!! (see what I did there..............)

anyyyywhooooo...... the REAL debate in this thread should be........

IS IT SODA or IS IT POP?!?!?!?!?!?

Or a "COKE"

(and duh, it's clearly Pop)

I've always gone with "soda", but clearly, the nation is divided.

pop_vs_soda_map.gif

andddd my state of Wisconsin is split....lol......but I'm oddity as my county is a "pop" county yet I say "SODA!!!" Man, I'm all sorts of messed up.....must be all the chemicals.........
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are good for me because I save over 200 calories daily by drinking them. And yeah, I drink plenty of water too, but I have one or two vanilla Coke Zeros a day because a) they don't hurt me and b) they taste good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper is tasty. That's my only criteria for deciding whether or not to consume it.

I drink water like a fiend. I have no worries about a little bit of tasty, happy bubbles adding to my fluid consumption for the day.

BUT, BUT CHEMIKILLZ......CHEMIKILLZZZZZ!!!! (see what I did there..............)

Or a "COKE"

I was briefly indoctrinated into drinking "soda" when I was in college, but now I drink "pop" again.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are good for me because I save over 200 calories daily by drinking them. And yeah, I drink plenty of water too, but I have one or two vanilla Coke Zeros a day because a) they don't hurt me and b) they taste good.
    I think the main ingredient in diet soda is water.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

the main ingredient is chemikalz!!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

The main ingredients are sugar, spice and everything nice.

And toxins.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    This thread didn't turn into madness the way I had anticipated. You're boring me MFP
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Or a "COKE"

pop_vs_soda_map.gif

andddd my state of Wisconsin is split....lol......but I'm oddity as my county is a "pop" county yet I say "SODA!!!" Man, I'm all sorts of messed up.....must be all the chemicals.........

Hmm... useless tidbit from one of my college courses from many'a'year ago. By calling all soda/pop "Coke," the South is jeopardizing Coke's trademark on the name.

I forget what it's called... "Trademark Erosion" or something like that. Xerox famously sent around a memo to all Xerox customers begging them to stop calling a generic photocopy a "xerox" of a document because they might lose their trademark.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Or a "COKE"

pop_vs_soda_map.gif

Hmm... useless tidbit from one of my college courses from many'a'year ago. By calling all soda/pop "Coke," the South is jeopardizing Coke's trademark on the name.

I forget what it's called... "Trademark Erosion" or something like that. Xerox famously sent around a memo to all Xerox customers begging them to stop calling a generic photocopy a "xerox" of a document because they might lose their trademark.

There are a lot of brands like that... Band-Aid, Kleenex, Q-Tip...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    This thread didn't turn into madness the way I had anticipated. You're boring me MFP

Does that mean it's GIF time?

tc5qzx.jpg
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The thing for me is, it was causing me to have a raging sweet tooth. I always thought I was just one of those people who just really really loved chocolate. I gave up diet soda and my sweet tooth is gone. My intake comes from water and Gatorade. I used to drink absolutely NOTHING but diet soda all day every day. I don't really miss it. I'm not saying don't drink it. Drink all you want, but for me giving it up ended up being a good choice simply because I'm not taking up my calories for the day with Reese's cups and Kit Kats anymore. :D
    I did lose 80 pounds in the past drinking it. It's just a personal thing. Whatever works for you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I moved from Colorado to Missouri less than a year ago. From what I've learned thus far from living here, that topic alone could start a MFP war like you've never seen. :P

I grew up in Kansas City saying Pop and now live in St. Louis and call it Soda. Clearly somewhere around Columbia, MO is the Mason-Dixon line of carbonated beverage naming. The map supports my hypothesis.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I moved from Colorado to Missouri less than a year ago. From what I've learned thus far from living here, that topic alone could start a MFP war like you've never seen. :P

I grew up in Kansas City saying Pop and now live in St. Louis and call it Soda. Clearly somewhere around Columbia, MO is the Mason-Dixon line of carbonated beverage naming. The map supports my hypothesis.

Yep. Fellow STL-er, and I think that hypothesis is right on. The first time I used "pop" in a conversation I got the weirdest stare from the entire group. It was as though I'd said something negative about the Cardinals.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Or a "COKE"

pop_vs_soda_map.gif

Ahhhh the Q-Tip. I know you aren't supposed to actually put it in the ear, but I just can't help myself. Cuz eargasms.
  • jmule24
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Or a "COKE"

pop_vs_soda_map.gif

Ahhhh the Q-Tip. I know you aren't supposed to actually put it in the ear, but I just can't help myself. Cuz eargasms.

THE ONE AND ONLY Q-TIP!!!!!

q-tip.jpg?w=660

• jmule24
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Does that mean it's GIF time?

tc5qzx.jpg

SIR....SIR....SIRRRR.....you see now that is what we call a 'meme'

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Southern Illinois seems to be "soda" too, or at least the part that borders on MO. Weirdos.

;-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you call it, as long as you put some rum in it for me.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I drink unlimited diet soda, caffinated coffee, water, the occasional shot of vodka- as I please. And I've lost 102 pounds, reversed diabetes, lowered blood pressure and high cholesterol to normal range and feel healthier than I did 20 years ago. Do what you need to do to shed the weight. Stop if you don't feel good. Good luck to you.