Holy crap

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    btw Bolthouse has very good dressings
    blue cheese, vinaigrette, ranch
    And very low in calories but still taste very good. I use those :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    beccahbase wrote: »
    1200 is too low. I'm cutting weight at 1700 and I'm only 4'10. I'm losing weight just fine at a 50c\30p\15f split. You may need to eat less if you are non active, but never that low for the sake of your metabolic health... If your metabolism is fried than you won't lose anything at all or because of the restrictions your body will very quickly burn out. You're going to feel mentally drained, sick, and lethargic :/ good luck <3

You can't give blanket recommendations to other people based on what you do. It doesn't work that way. Different ages and circumstances will call for different needs.

Also, percentage recommendations for macro splits are pants, imo.

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I had eggs and wheat toast for breakfast with cheese, lunch I had 2 slices of pizza, and dinner we had hotdogs with cheddar and chilli and fries. We also bought rocky road ice cream for dessert. I ate so much less today then I normally do. Ate 1500 calories today.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Kristin, those "light bulb" moments are the best! Congrats on your amazing effort! You can keep this up! :smiley: A little flexibility with your daily calorie allowance like you mentioned will give you a little more room for those hungry days. And everyone falls off the wagon, don't beat yourself up, just get back on up there!

As for eliminating foods, you can lose weight eating anything you want, as long as you're at a deficit. However, if there are foods you're really prone to overeating, especially as you start changing your habits, removing them as choices, a least temporarily, might be helpful. I do that. There are some things I tend to overeat, and I don't keep them in the house. :blush:

I couldn't say it better..
    Light bulb moments are awesome. When you look at the food you ate there really isn't much so you can see how people think they aren't eating much. But the calorie count is high.
    I have learned I do like veggies... not all but some and I always try new ones. It can be fun trying to find recipes for veggies. For me the simpler the recipe the better they taste... I steam or roast them a lot and just add some spices.
    Kristin, it is kind of reassuring to know that you can eat what the boys eat in moderation, yet you can decide if you want to.
    Best of luck to you. Hope the test come out good. :)
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I had eggs and wheat toast for breakfast with cheese, lunch I had 2 slices of pizza, and dinner we had hotdogs with cheddar and chilli and fries. We also bought rocky road ice cream for dessert. I ate so much less today then I normally do. Ate 1500 calories today.

Great

now remember when you feel hungry the best thing for me...( so doesn't mean for you but could be very well) is eating veggies and fruit And most of them are relative low in calories. :)

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Way to Go.
    You will find little tricks to lower your calories and you can still eat anything in moderation.
  • krammp
    krammp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone saying 4000 -1200 " seems " drastic.... IT IS ACTUALLY DRASTIC!!!

First off I would start off by figuring out what your Maintenance Caloric intake is then decrease that by 500 calories. You will have to burn 3500 calories to loose 1 lbs of fat. As your weight comes down your weight loss will slow down as well... then you decrease by another 500...

I would never do a drastic cut from 4000-1200 with a flip of the switch. Its unrealistic and you will starve yourself and you will never succeed that way. Think long term.. not short term.

best of luck!
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    krammp wrote: »
    Everyone saying 4000 -1200 " seems " drastic.... IT IS ACTUALLY DRASTIC!!!

First off I would start off by figuring out what your Maintenance Caloric intake is then decrease that by 500 calories. You will have to burn 3500 calories to loose 1 lbs of fat. As your weight comes down your weight loss will slow down as well... then you decrease by another 500...

I would never do a drastic cut from 4000-1200 with a flip of the switch. Its unrealistic and you will starve yourself and you will never succeed that way. Think long term.. not short term.

best of luck!

some do
    Let me say i agree with it is drastic
    But that doesnt mean she would succeed

I did it, cold turkey
    and here i am, and i will succeed
    Only 16 pounds to go and lost 100

It depends from person to person. We dont know anything about OP.
    People know/knew anything about me.
    About a persons health issues or personality

If i had a choice i wouldn't have cut myself that far down to 1200, but i had no choice. Simple

But it doesnt mean she wont succeed. We dont know.
    I hope and want to believe she does :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good job on starting to log and on starting to cut down on your intake!

If you can tolerate a 1200 Cal intake to start, nothing wrong with that given the amount of weight you have to lose. If you find yourself wavering, try to remember that the choice is NOT between either eating at 1200 Cal OR giving up and going back to 4,000 Cal!

Based on the stats you've given, you should be able to lose weight (albeit at a slower rate) by eating 1400, and even 1600 Cal a day.

Having said that, please note that measuring peanut butter and ranch dressing in tablespoons is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do yourself a favour: always use a scale and weigh in grams.

Even if you don't do so for lettuce and cucumbers, always do so for calorically dense items such as oils, nuts, peanut butter and dressing :smile:
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    First, great job. Often the first steps are the hardest.

I want to echo the sentiment that 1200 might be too low. Throwing the numbers you supplied in your profile, I got your maintain was roughly 2000. With less than 50 lb total to lose one pound a week might be better for you. I am assuming you selected 2lb a week to lose?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1 to going from 4000 to 1200 is a bit too mich of a swing imo. You are going to need to sustain it for the length of your journey.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I have to say, speaking for myself (mind you, I am 5'7, not short), 1800-2000 is really easy to work with - for all kinds of foods. And that would still halve your intake. Yeah just subbing the ranch dressing and pop would get you a good bit of the way there, to start with.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    beccahbase wrote: »
    1200 is too low. I'm cutting weight at 1700 and I'm only 4'10. I'm losing weight just fine at a 50c\30p\15f split. You may need to eat less if you are non active, but never that low for the sake of your metabolic health... If your metabolism is fried than you won't lose anything at all or because of the restrictions your body will very quickly burn out. You're going to feel mentally drained, sick, and lethargic :/ good luck <3

Your statement about "frying her metabolism" is incorrect. 1200 may not be too low, although going from 4000 to 1200 may lead to binges. I would give myself a calorie range--1200 to 2000. We also don't know what she's doing for exercise--it could be that she has an office job and isn't moving much. 1200 may be too low though, since she's only 24 and is still obese.

The macro split that is supposedly working for you only adds up to 95. So who knows what you're really doing.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Op - 1200 - 1500 calories sounds like a good range. You can eat more on hungry days that way. Once you're cleared to add exercise that will give you some more as well, just remember that mfp calorie burns are generally over estimated and most people only eat 50-75% of them back.

I'm a little taller than you (5'3") but I started with about 80 to lose and have been averaging over 1.5 lbs per week netting between 1200-1500 calories.

I also read up thread that you got discouraged last time because you only lost 15 lbs in a month. Remember - the weight didn't go on overnight, it won't come off in a healthy way overnight either.

You can do this.
  • wwhite72082
    wwhite72082 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Last time I deprived myself of so much that 15lbs in a month didnt seem like enough to me so I just gave up. Everyone else was having pizza for dinner or boxed potatoes and noodles and I was eating chicken breast and veggies every night. It seemed like way too much to give up. But everyone said I had to.

Do yourself a favor and tune them out. You'll be miserable if you follow the less-than-informed advice of family and friends. If it fits into your caloric goal, there is nothing to feel guilty about.

For what it's worth, losing 15 pounds in a month is something to be proud of.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can can't cross a chasm in two leaps. You will get stuck and have nowhere else to turn to. I learned the hard way. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I got non hormonal birth control because I gained 30lbs in 2 years from it,

no... you gained from all the ranch and peanut butter!
  • beansandchips
    beansandchips Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    4,000 to 1,200 is a big cut! You'll crash an binge in a couple of days!! I know I would! I'd concentrate on reducing those calories over time. Why don't you try to 1/2 the calories, see how you are losing and assess from there. There are some good websites, e.g. scooby.com, that have calculators to work out your calories based on you data.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I love ranch dressing on just about anything. Thats one of my huge problems which im now working very hard on. I went into my Doctors office a week ago with chest pains. I am going through testing right now to make sure everythings in working order. Dr wants my thyroid checked out due to a previous hypothyroidism diganosis from a previous dr, he wants my kidney checked because I have high blood pressure. The next 2 weeks I have about 10 drs appointments for testing. I also got off hormonal birth control because I know it causes weight gain.

OK, great. Sounds like you are getting all the right tests done.

Hey, with the ranch dressing - see if your stores have Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressings. I usually hate 'diet' dressings, but I have found these to be SO GOOD. They have a 'Classic Ranch' and a 'Black Pepper Ranch' that are delicious. Here are the nutritional stats on the Classic Ranch: 45 calories for TWO tablespoons (yay!); 3 grams fat (0.5 gram is saturated fat); 5 mg cholesterol; 280 mg sodium; 3 grams carbs; 2 grams sugar.

I am also pretty addicted to their Caramelized Sweet Onion and Mango Chipotle flavors -- these things are making salads very yummy :)

Respectfully, long term OP will be better off learning to enjoy food, rather than using it as a blotter for ranch dressing, even if it is low cal ranch dressing.