Adding MFP Friends as a married guy

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How about if I said I'd like to mount you over my fireplace? Is that considered flirting?

Only if you use "sweety".
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    With the exception of one, all of my male MFP friends are people I knew in real life. None of the females are. Guy friends are less sensitive about a person in real life being all up in their weight business. I am a non-threatening single gray haired old lady so I have it easy.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I have a few married male friends on here and whenever I see their feeds it's all girls going "hiiii sweetie" and "u look so good babe" and stuff like that, so if my husband were on here I'd be careful about his friends list as well. I don't know who these chicks are who can't act decent but...they're all over this site.

Since when is posting an innocuous comment such as 'Hi babe' or 'Great job handsome' on a male friend's profile or status not "acting decent". Harmless flirting with someone does not mean I want to jump in bed with them. Most adults understand that.

Ninety percent of my FL is male, most of them are married. They're great guys! I don't see a problem with it and neither does my husband.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How about if I said I'd like to mount you over my fireplace? Is that considered flirting?

Flirting.

I'd like to mount your head over my fireplace.

No.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have a few married male friends on here and whenever I see their feeds it's all girls going "hiiii sweetie" and "u look so good babe" and stuff like that, so if my husband were on here I'd be careful about his friends list as well. I don't know who these chicks are who can't act decent but...they're all over this site.

Since when is posting an innocuous comment such as 'Hi babe' or 'Great job handsome' on a male friend's profile or status not "acting decent". Harmless flirting with someone does not mean I want to jump in bed with them. Most adults understand that.

Ninety percent of my FL is male, most of them are married. They're great guys! I don't see a problem with it and neither does my husband.

He's probably on MFP himself, trolling the "kiss the person above" thread.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

He's probably on MFP himself, trolling the "kiss the person above" thread.

LOL!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »

So someone who says' Hi Sweetie' isn't acting decent?. This thread goes from the sublime to the ridiculous

TRUTH!!

x2!!!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can't help but think of the Seinfeld show they had to finish any comment about something weird with "not that there is anything wrong with that".
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    What's weird about that? Your wife needs to worry less. Plenty of men have lots of female friends (online and in real life). It doesn't mean anything at all!

You must be unaware of what goes on here at MFP…
    OP: This sounds like a personal problem. You have male friends in real life, I'm assuming. Assuming you have Facebook or other social media, surely you've requested males there before. So why is it weird to send a male a friend request on MFP? This is a fitness website; if you request a male, they aren't going to think you're hitting on them. Trust me. However, I can't say the same for some of the women here. If you stick around long enough, you'll understand what I mean.

I take exception to your repeated inference that there is hanky-panky going on at MFP. I have both male and female friends here. I have never propositioned nor been propositioned here (in a year) so I can only assume you get back what you put out.

My friends on MFP (male and female) are supportive and respectful.

@socalkay No offense but you're nearly 60 years old. I'm not too sure how much "hanky-panky" goes on here with people of/near your age- which is most likely why you've never propositioned or been propositioned. Or they're just not interested…

Also, let me take a wild guess… you're one of those people who think women who have been raped "asked for it." As someone who works with rape victims on a daily basis, I would advise you not say stuff like "you get back what you put out."
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Eri0515 wrote: »
    One of the other responders said this is not a dating site and I have to agree with her. This is just for losing weight. If you are cruising around the boards and you see someone who has goals similar to yours send them a friend request. No one is going to think you are hitting on them.

Lawls you must be new

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Sure, that's harmless flirting, but flirting is not ok in all relationships.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sure, that's harmless flirting, but flirting is not ok in all relationships.
    Yeah. My fiancée isn't a big fan of it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It's completely outside of my norm so I admit it would make me pause to see that on my husband's profile (if he had one.)
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This may not be a dating site, but it sure doesn't stop some people from using it as such.

You'll always get the ones that can't take it seriously, the downside is there is generally always someone that will respond to their nonsense so it continues but they are easily deleted :wink:

My personal favorites are the ones who get mad at you.
    Start asking you all kinds of questions like what do you do for work and fun, Etc and then when they get an answer they don't like, insult you and get mad.

Once i had a guy ask me if i was girly and i said not really, im not exactly the type to go and get my nails done or dress up in girly clothing, and he got mad at me for not getting my nails done LOL.. said i was boring and not sexy.

OMG That's happened to me too!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My partner trusts me, and really doesn't care. He knows if he actually wanted to, maybe has a feeling one day, he could see my messages, no questions asked. So far, he hasn't wanted to but if he ever did, I guarantee he'll find nothing to worry about. Same goes for his account. I haven't asked. Even though I see a lot of lovely ladies on his, doesn't mean anything is going on with them!
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This site is definitely used as a dating/cheating site for A LOT of people. And just trust me on how I know this. I was on here before when I was single and I saw a lot of it. I have seen marriages ruined because of mfp as well. I guess you have to go with your gut. If you wouldn't like your spouse doing it, then don't do it. I got back on here a few months ago and I'm extremely careful not to be so nieve now.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers for a dreaded Monday. Well done everyon!

goldstar.gif
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'd have a problem if I saw a female using this sort of language with my boyfriend. He'd have a problem with a male using this sort of language with me. Why flirt if you're taken or if you know the person you're talking to is taken? There are a lot of words I could use to compliment someone's progress and appearance without making it sound flirty. "Hey, impressive gains," or "great progress!" is the same sort of compliment, but is a lot more appropriate than "u look so good babe."

IMO - I don't see the problem with having people of the opposite sex on your FL. But if your wife is trully bothered by it, her concerns trump any of our opinions.

ETA: Before you make the argument that this is just a harmless website and nobody here is actually going to jump into bed with each other because of a little flirting...

Yeah, my BF and I met on a site not terribly different from MFP.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I bet you are not the only married guy on here with the same thoughts friend request the guys I am sure in general there are more females than males on here anyway we are definitely a different species i think it would probably really help you to have more men as fitness friends training buddies
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will look over my bf's shoulder when he is checking his Facebook, but only because his newsfeed is a lot more entertaining than mine. We both have a good mix of male and female friends and it doesn't bother either one of us. He's not on MFP and knows that I have friends on here, but he has never asked me any questions about any of them.