Adding MFP Friends as a married guy

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread went so off topic it was moved to the chit chat section.

Well done :smiley:

Blaaah. I'm unfollowing it then. I didn't even notice the forum change!

You're so scared of being in the chit chat forum that you'd unfollow a thread you were obviously enjoying? Please be joking. Otherwise, whatever

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Just noticed this thread went so off topic it was moved to the chit chat section.

Blaaah. I'm unfollowing it then. I didn't even notice the forum change!

You can unfollow a thread you've posted in?? TELL ME OF THIS PLEASE!!
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I think you have to turn off "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in," and then star every thread you post in. Then you can un-star them. It's a pain. If somebody knows a better way, I'd like to hear about it.
  • mjtranter65
    mjtranter65 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

That hardly seems fair, as the OP's intent remains to achieve more male friends and he is not in control of what others post in reply.

Anyways, I liked what you said about stereotyping males. It struck me that way when it became "clear" to some that homophobia was at play when it might be long ingrained habits of "seeking"/ "pursuing" female relationships and maybe falling into male friendships with much less effort and forethought like just ending up in sports teams. Don't get me wrong I'm really glad we have a vocal component advocating against homophobia but I just think seeking some understanding of the heterosexual male habits is in order too. I hoped that's the tangent this thread would take if any, but instead it kinda turned into an "I'm so SECURE!!!" lady doth protest drum to bang. (No pun intended.) I don't care if this guy's wife's insecure/controlling/or whatever else was implied
    ... Can't he just get more male friends if he wants?

Got more male friends. Done. Also, not gay or homophobic. My wife and I have been grotesquely entertained at this discussion.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I think you have to turn off "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in," and then star every thread you post in. Then you can un-star them. It's a pain. If somebody knows a better way, I'd like to hear about it.

This is the way I do it. I actually start several that I don't even post in, lol.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    What's weird about that? Your wife needs to worry less. Plenty of men have lots of female friends (online and in real life). It doesn't mean anything at all!

You must be unaware of what goes on here at MFP…
    OP: This sounds like a personal problem. You have male friends in real life, I'm assuming. Assuming you have Facebook or other social media, surely you've requested males there before. So why is it weird to send a male a friend request on MFP? This is a fitness website; if you request a male, they aren't going to think you're hitting on them. Trust me. However, I can't say the same for some of the women here. If you stick around long enough, you'll understand what I mean.

I take exception to your repeated inference that there is hanky-panky going on at MFP. I have both male and female friends here. I have never propositioned nor been propositioned here (in a year) so I can only assume you get back what you put out.

My friends on MFP (male and female) are supportive and respectful.

@socalkay No offense but you're nearly 60 years old. I'm not too sure how much "hanky-panky" goes on here with people of/near your age- which is most likely why you've never propositioned or been propositioned. Or they're just not interested…

Also, let me take a wild guess… you're one of those people who think women who have been raped "asked for it." As someone who works with rape victims on a daily basis, I would advise you not say stuff like "you get back what you put out."

Wow, that's an erroneous, not to mention offensive, conclusion! I am most certainly not one of those people who think women who have been raped "asked for it." In no way does my comment that, "you get back what you put out" imply that I do and is, in fact, a sentiment that is woven into the threads of many religions. It's called "the ethic of reciprocity" and it was made in response to the thread topic, not a conversation about rape. You owe me an apology.