Adding MFP Friends as a married guy

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    maybe this is a bit liberal for you, but why is requesting a guy so weird? Do you feel like it's gay? Because if that's the case... you're married to a woman, I can pretty much guarantee other men aren't going to assume anything if you add them. If you have another reason for it being weird.... honestly I can't think of any other reasons... but that's just my 2 cents

I think there's definitely more behind it than what OP has let on...

• Christine_72
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    maybe this is a bit liberal for you, but why is requesting a guy so weird? Do you feel like it's gay? Because if that's the case... you're married to a woman, I can pretty much guarantee other men aren't going to assume anything if you add them. If you have another reason for it being weird.... honestly I can't think of any other reasons... but that's just my 2 cents

it definitely seems like some form of homophobia

I think you could be right

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I've always viewed MFP as my opportunity to talk about fitness and diet as much as I want with like-minded people. I never really thought about it from a male/female perspective as I don't have extremely personal conversations with my MFP friends.

Are all the girls young, half-naked and "flirting" with you or something? If your intentions were innocent and you keep it relevant to MFP- I just don't see the big deal here.

I don't see why "being young" is a requisite for being "half-naked and "flirting" with you or something?"
    but the rest is true.

I was thinking more of guys who creep on the young ones. Or some immodest ladies I can think of from my old Instagram. I should have said "young, half-naked OR flirting..." I do not think one implies the other-we are capable of ridiculousness at every age! No insult intended. :smile:

I've seen some young and not so young forum members, who's profile pics looks like they are auditioning for a strippers job :noway:

How is my trout-lip pout not relevant to weight loss?

Seriously, I have no face pics to keep the creepers away. :P

Just a guess but aren't most creepers interesting in other body parts?

Like feet etc

Face and boobs will get the most creepers. No cleavage here, and no face. And I keep my hair back, too. Can't tell how long it is from the pics. :)

I haven't turned down anyone yet, but that's mostly laziness on my part. I get VERY few men friending me with my current anonymous pic.

I also have the most unattractive angle for my body possible in those pictures. It was 100% deliberate because THAT'S what I want to improve on. So I turned until I looked the worst. Stood each time with my stomach completely relaxed. My profile pics are mostly for my own inspiration!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've always viewed MFP as my opportunity to talk about fitness and diet as much as I want with like-minded people. I never really thought about it from a male/female perspective as I don't have extremely personal conversations with my MFP friends.

Are all the girls young, half-naked and "flirting" with you or something? If your intentions were innocent and you keep it relevant to MFP- I just don't see the big deal here.

I don't see why "being young" is a requisite for being "half-naked and "flirting" with you or something?"
    but the rest is true.

I was thinking more of guys who creep on the young ones. Or some immodest ladies I can think of from my old Instagram. I should have said "young, half-naked OR flirting..." I do not think one implies the other-we are capable of ridiculousness at every age! No insult intended. :smile:

I've seen some young and not so young forum members, who's profile pics looks like they are auditioning for a strippers job :noway:

Me too. And butts and labias of non teeny boppers have been known to surface.
  • Christine_72
    Options

but the rest is true.

Seriously? :open_mouth:

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

but the rest is true.

I'm pretty sure she means camel-toe? I hope?
  • Dadof3bbg40
    Dadof3bbg40 Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

but the rest is true.

Sorry...have to :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Y'all are really piling on pollypocket here. After about 40 posts slamming her, I think she's got the idea.

It's a forum. Sometimes people don't read the replies before they post. Didn't see one where she asked for a white knight either.

Lol. I know most people don't approach life or relationships like I do. ;)

But since I'm in a very small minority with regard to interacting with people as a married woman, it would maybe give the OP some perspective on how reasonable his wife is.

And nothing I my original post is exaggerated.

You have respect for your relationship, and your husbands feelings. I totally get where you're coming from

Sure respect, but is that enough?

I'm not married etc so maybe I don't have the right idea.

But what about trust? What about being 2 individuals that are married?

Just seems odd and what polly has said so far, if it sounded one sided it would be setting off alarms with me of an abusive or controlling relationship, but it seems like it's from both people, and polly seems happy about it so who am I to judge.

Maybe I should preface with the fact that I used to work somewhere where married people having affairs with coworkers was the norm. It was openly talked an joked about. There were days when I was asked out for drinks after work before I clocked in.

I didn't want that to become acceptable or normal for me, so I made sure that everything in my life was completely open and transparent to my husband and I drew certain lines in the sand. Having the joint account also sent a clear message to my coworkers. 10 years later, those lines are still drawn and I am very comfortable with where they are. It's about me being honest and accountable.

So no abuse, just fallout from the Petri dish that I assume most teaching hospitals are.

???
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Y'all are really piling on pollypocket here. After about 40 posts slamming her, I think she's got the idea.

It's a forum. Sometimes people don't read the replies before they post. Didn't see one where she asked for a white knight either.

But since I'm in a very small minority with regard to interacting with people as a married woman, it would maybe give the OP some perspective on how reasonable his wife is.

You have respect for your relationship, and your husbands feelings. I totally get where you're coming from

Sure respect, but is that enough?

I'm not married etc so maybe I don't have the right idea.

But what about trust? What about being 2 individuals that are married?

Just seems odd and what polly has said so far, if it sounded one sided it would be setting off alarms with me of an abusive or controlling relationship, but it seems like it's from both people, and polly seems happy about it so who am I to judge.

Maybe I should preface with the fact that I used to work somewhere where married people having affairs with coworkers was the norm. It was openly talked an joked about. There were days when I was asked out for drinks after work before I clocked in.

I didn't want that to become acceptable or normal for me, so I made sure that everything in my life was completely open and transparent to my husband and I drew certain lines in the sand. Having the joint account also sent a clear message to my coworkers. 10 years later, those lines are still drawn and I am very comfortable with where they are. It's about me being honest and accountable.

So no abuse, just fallout from the Petri dish that I assume most teaching hospitals are.

???

People cheat all the time, why u confused
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Speaking of Fu*kbook.....

There was a snippet in the news a few months back stating "Facebook was mentioned in 17% of divorce proceedings"

Yeah, but "clean eating" was mentioned in 43% of divorce proceedings.
    Paleo=79%
  • Christine_72
    Options

but the rest is true.

gawd I hope so!

I got a request once with a full frontal shot, which got cut off right before the "helmet" showed...
    The head on his shoulders was cut off too.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Or fear of homophobes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

but the rest is true.

Yes.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Or fear of homophobes.

Ah yeah, that too is possible (I guess)
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I may be alone in this sentiment, but I think it's fair for your wife not to be happy about your female friends and for her to be snoping your account. My husband and I have a joint Facebook account and would have a joint MFP too if it was physically possible.

I have exactly one friend on here who is male. I have a lot of respect for him and he doesn't come around the forums anymore. If not for that specific situation, it would be zero.

Same rules apply in real life. Unless I have to talk to men as a requirement for my job, I don't without my husband present.

If I was your wife, your MFP account would've been deleted long ago.

Out of curiosity... does your husband do the same (/vice versa)?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I believe there are more women on this site (actively, anyways) so, if your just adding anyone, its probably like that because of that reason.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

There was a snippet in the news a few months back stating "Facebook was mentioned in 17% of divorce proceedings"

:laugh:

No that I clean eat, but hubby and I have had plenty of "disagreements" about me not wanting to dive heard first into a supersize bag of chips and chocolate because I'm watching what I eat. Weighing my food particularly drive him nuts!!

I bet none of those people had joint accounts.

I'd never thought about why people had joint accounts.. I always thought that it was to easier keep in touch with mutual friends. But now I see, It's to keep a closer eye on each other...

'Cause, you know, the basis of every successful relationship is unflappable mistrust...
  • Christine_72
    Options

No that I clean eat, but hubby and I have had plenty of "disagreements" about me not wanting to dive heard first into a supersize bag of chips and chocolate because I'm watching what I eat. Weighing my food particularly drive him nuts!!

I'd never thought about why people had joint accounts.. I always thought that it was to easier keep in touch with mutual friends. But now I see, It's to keep a closer eye on each other...

'Cause, you know, the basis of every successful relationship is unflappable mistrust...

gotta keep em' on a short leash..

Give em' enough rope and they'll eventually hang themselves..

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

People who use it mainly to stay in contact with family and not really for socializing most often have joint accounts. I see that a lot.

Among people I know, joint accounts trend towards couples who are Mormon. No one else really seems to do it. They may snoop each other's various accounts, but not full on joint.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Some perspective on how reasonable she is? Wish my food logging worked this way - well someone on here at everything available at the local Cheesecake Factory in one sitting, therefore there's no calories if I eat one whole cheesecake.