Adding MFP Friends as a married guy

Options
mjtranter65
mjtranter65 Posts: 18 Member
So....here is the issue:
I have an imbalance of female MFP friends to male. My wife (who is not part of MFP) thinks its a bit weird (me too, I guess). The reason I have not requested male MFP friends is because it seems weird to ask because, well, just because. There are some guys that have really similar self improvement and similar goals, but I suppose the issue is that requesting is weird. That said, if your a dude and are serious about getting (and staying) fit, please add me.

Thanks....i hope.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I think it's a tad odd that a married man has lots of female friends on here...

I've got a couple guy friends, but the rest are female. I rarely accept requests from men anymore, unless I know them well from the forum. I do it out of respect for my husband. He'd understandably have a fit if he looked at my friends list, and it was full of guys.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What's weird about that? Your wife needs to worry less. Plenty of men have lots of female friends (online and in real life). It doesn't mean anything at all!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    What's weird about that? Your wife needs to worry less. Plenty of men have lots of female friends (online and in real life). It doesn't mean anything at all!

You must be unaware of what goes on here at MFP…
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    haha, she's onto you. The jig is up.
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP is exactly about that "MY FITNESS PAL" its not a dating site!!!

Ratio of female pals to male pals shouldnt be an issue. The site is about getting fit and having Pals to support and motivate you along the way with like minded views as you.

If you want to add male friends add them, its no different than male adding female etc...

In saying that, Good luck with your fitness and hope you acheive your goals :wink:
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I think it's a tad odd that a married man has lots of female friends on here...

I've got a couple guy friends, but the rest are female. I rarely accept requests from men anymore, unless I know them well from the forum. I do it out of respect for my husband. He'd understandably have a fit if he looked at my friends list, and it was full of guys.

yep. I only have a couple of guy friends too and I only add them if either they are friends of friends or if I look at their profile and see a balance of guy/girl friends.

Quite often you look at a profile and it's some bloke with only young girls as friends.

I reject those. And the ones who request friendship with random messages of the "you are hot" types...

Not here for dating, here for losing weight!! :)

Maybe you can request more male friends depending on what you like - like hobbies/workouts - a new thread for "guys with similar goals" or whatever.

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm married, and have both male and female friends here, but mostly female. If you're looking for friends with similar goals, bite the bullet and request friendships with them. The worst they can do is refuse, and you'll probably end up with several supportive male friends here.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OP: This sounds like a personal problem. You have male friends in real life, I'm assuming. Assuming you have Facebook or other social media, surely you've requested males there before. So why is it weird to send a male a friend request on MFP? This is a fitness website; if you request a male, they aren't going to think you're hitting on them. Trust me. However, I can't say the same for some of the women here. If you stick around long enough, you'll understand what I mean.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Lol, I never stopped to think about how it would/could be different for men here on MFP. But I see your point...I can't imagine my husband ever friend requesting a total stranger.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    yep. I only have a couple of guy friends too and I only add them if either they are friends of friends or if I look at their profile and see a balance of guy/girl friends.

Quite often you look at a profile and it's some bloke with only young girls as friends.

I reject those. And the ones who request friendship with random messages of the "you are hot" types...

Not here for dating, here for losing weight!! :)

Well that’s the thing: I somehow ended up with 11 women and one guy on my friends list. I’m not here for dating either... that’s just how it worked out. So now I feel like I need more guys on my friends list, just so the list doesn’t look weird.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird that your wife is all up in your MFP profile even though she's not on MFP. I also find it odd that you find it weird to request male friendships. I find it wierd that there is some ratio of male to female friends that's desired, because if there isn't a balance, somehow a married person is.....doing something wrong? Frankly, these types of posts are just weird in general.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think it's odd that you can't ask a guy to be your friend yourself, but you want them ask you. I would address some latent gender issues, but I'm sure someone would bash me for it.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also if you send out a friend request to men, make sure and add a message.

I've had requests from guys, and when I checked out their friends list and it's full of young girls and women, they get an instant decline!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    qfm2ays3g4nj.gif
    On so many levels.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So what you are saying is, you FR women because you find them totally hot. BUT don't want to add guys in the event anyone thinks you've added them because you think they are bone-worthy.

Right.

This is truly special, OP.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a bit weird but I would love to be your friend! :)
  • nora_gettingfitnow
    nora_gettingfitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This may not be a dating site, but it sure doesn't stop some people from using it as such.

You'll always get the ones that can't take it seriously, the downside is there is generally always someone that will respond to their nonsense so it continues but they are easily deleted :wink: