doctor suggested low carb diet

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

You're possibly feeling "super hungry" because you're eating so many carbs.... Perhaps try what the doctor is suggesting: eat more protein, eat more vegetables, eat less of the heavily refined carbs. I would also recommend not trying to limit fats. Note that the doctor isn't saying NO carb, given that she's told you to eat more vegetables (which are carbs).
    What do you have to lose? What you're doing isn't working. At 30 you're in the emergency room. You're soon to be pushing 300LBSs.
    Proteins, vegetables, nuts and seeds, dairy, berries...
    If you feel like you need a formal plan, try one.

ps: you won't see a lot of hate for lower carb diets in the various low carb groups here. In fact, you'll see intelligent people, discussing how to best use lower carb diets. Various types.

Best of luck.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I started out at 290 at 5'3", so I feel where you're coming from. And I'm glad everything in your ER visit came out alright. If I can offer any help, it'd be this:

Feeling hungry when you first start is just kind of a thing that happens, especially if you're a person (like I tend to be) who can't always sort of genuine hunger cues from non-hunger food cravings. And your body adapts, once you get used to the reduced calorie load. I'd recommend starting out by logging for a week or two without reducing your calories to see how much you tend to eat on average. Then slowly start coming down from that number until you're in a reasonable daily deficit.

Reducing and even cutting out breads/pastas/potatoes/etc can be helpful at the start -- they're high-calorie foods that make it easy to exceed your goals, especially if you're not portioning it correctly. Once I got a handle on how to eat reasonable portions (my biggest issue), I could reintroduce those foods without eating them. My diet still tends to be high on carbs (like everyone, I struggle to get enough protein in), but I don't overeat them very frequently anymore.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    I don't think your doctor's intent is to remove carbs from your diet. What she is probably saying is that if you REDUCE carbs, for a lot of people, it is a pretty easy way to lose weight. Processed carbs like breads, desserts, anything ground or mashed, are very calorie dense and not very filling so it is easy to overeat. Also, prepared meals and restaurants tend to serve high carb/high fat foods for a couple of reasons, but the main one is because they are cheap so the profit margin is higher.

She is just saying to replace some of those foods with vegetables and proteins.

This

Seriously.

This.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Go back to your PCP doctor and talk about it. Also maybe ask for a referral to a dietitian.

There is nothing wrong with low carb dieting. However it is also not necessary. I did low carb dieting to get to goal, mainly because it was the easiest and most consistent way for me to maintain a caloric deficit. It's the caloric deficit that is important. If you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. If I were you, that is where I would start. I'd put your stats into MFP and then eat the calories that it tells you to.

Out of curiosity, how do YOU know what's necessary for the OP?

I know it's not necessary for anyone to lose weight. It's a way to get to a deficit, but it's not necessary. That has nothing to do with the OP.

And you were in the emergency room with her?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    I don't think your doctor's intent is to remove carbs from your diet. What she is probably saying is that if you REDUCE carbs, for a lot of people, it is a pretty easy way to lose weight. Processed carbs like breads, desserts, anything ground or mashed, are very calorie dense and not very filling so it is easy to overeat. Also, prepared meals and restaurants tend to serve high carb/high fat foods for a couple of reasons, but the main one is because they are cheap so the profit margin is higher.

She is just saying to replace some of those foods with vegetables and proteins.

Yep.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Go back to your PCP doctor and talk about it. Also maybe ask for a referral to a dietitian.

There is nothing wrong with low carb dieting. However it is also not necessary. I did low carb dieting to get to goal, mainly because it was the easiest and most consistent way for me to maintain a caloric deficit. It's the caloric deficit that is important. If you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. If I were you, that is where I would start. I'd put your stats into MFP and then eat the calories that it tells you to.

I know it's not necessary for anyone to lose weight. It's a way to get to a deficit, but it's not necessary. That has nothing to do with the OP.

@Sabine_Stroehm please stop derailing this thread....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Nope. Bolded sentence above.

And without knowing what they discussed, since she didn't state that. We can't know if it was her sugars? her BP? Is she now diabetic? Insulin resistant? I wouldn't think we could suggest she doesn't "need" to lower her carbs.

That said: I'd rather not further derail her thread. So I'll refrain from further discussing this with you here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

@Sabine_Stroehm please stop derailing this thread....

I'm not. But cheers.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

And without knowing what they discussed, since she didn't state that. We can't know if it was her sugars? her BP? Is she now diabetic? Insulin resistant? I wouldn't think we could suggest she doesn't "need" to lower her carbs.

That said: I'd rather not further derail her thread. So I'll refrain from further discussing this with you here.

Nothing she said suggests any of those.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You seem to find hypocracy easy. Many of the recommendation are to seek a dietitian, which is the correct way instead of a doctor who views things black and white. If the doctor said get rid of fat you would have a different take of her advice I'm sure.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    a - yes
    b - no
    a - yes
    b - n
    a - yes
    b - no
    c - quit arguing
    b - im not arguing
    c - yes you are
    b - not i'm not
    c - uh huh
    b - nuh-uh

I can see this going on forever!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: best of luck.
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

choice A..
  • cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    as of now i am not diabetic or have high bp. but the way i am going im sure it will happen if i dont stop
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thing of it is; it needs to be a lifestyle--not a "diet" that you are on for a period of time. Work the macros (protein, fat, carbs) to find out what works best for you and that you can stick to for the rest of your life. Everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. Try to cut back on the white starchy carbs and increase your consumption of fibrous veggies. Also, watch your intake of sugar (ALL, natural and added).