Options
12346»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mardetox wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

I'm not an idiot and I realize there is sugar in natural, wholesome foods. This is obviously not what I am referring to when I am trying to cut the crap from my life.

This thread is really sad, and I'm honestly sorry I started it. I never said I was giving up sugar for life, I said 30 days. I am not attacking any of your choices to eat cookies and what have you while hitting your macro and calorie goals. If that works for you, then that is awesome, and I hope I will get there eventually. This is a kick off for me to change my habits that have resulted in weight gain, depression, anxiety, and demotivation. There is no harm in trying to cut something and slowly introduce it back into your diet when you feel like you have more control.

The one thing I have learned here is that my original goal of 1200 calories a day is too low, so I'll adjust that. Also that I should replace the word "sugar" with processed/added sugar, and should be more specific on this site when seeking advice (which I definitely will not do again).

Truly appreciate those of you who have responded without judgement or snarky comments. Thanks for existing, the world needs more of you. For those of you who think the former statement might not refer to you, just ask yourself if your comments are genuinely meant to help someone before posting in the future.

Just think how different this thread could have been if you had only said what you meant to begin with.

The link you provided isn't a study. It is an article published in a pay to publish "journal".
  • fernandaBush
    fernandaBush Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have, but it last only a few days. Your calorie intake seems too low...
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mardetox wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

I'm not an idiot and I realize there is sugar in natural, wholesome foods. This is obviously not what I am referring to when I am trying to cut the crap from my life.

This thread is really sad, and I'm honestly sorry I started it. I never said I was giving up sugar for life, I said 30 days. I am not attacking any of your choices to eat cookies and what have you while hitting your macro and calorie goals. If that works for you, then that is awesome, and I hope I will get there eventually. This is a kick off for me to change my habits that have resulted in weight gain, depression, anxiety, and demotivation. There is no harm in trying to cut something and slowly introduce it back into your diet when you feel like you have more control.

The one thing I have learned here is that my original goal of 1200 calories a day is too low, so I'll adjust that. Also that I should replace the word "sugar" with processed/added sugar, and should be more specific on this site when seeking advice (which I definitely will not do again).

Truly appreciate those of you who have responded without judgement or snarky comments. Thanks for existing, the world needs more of you. For those of you who think the former statement might not refer to you, just ask yourself if your comments are genuinely meant to help someone before posting in the future.

Debate, even when heated, is often beneficial. Often times lurkers gain knowledge and value through reading these threads, even if the OP didn't. Keep an open mind, and identify the premise behind what people are saying, and adapt as you see fit. Ultimately though, stop with the "judgement/snark/mean people" comments. You learned something through all this (calorie target too low). So it was beneficial. Even if you disapprove of the tone of how some people write, you took away some valuable information. And if some of the meanies said something to cause you to think just a little bit differently, then good. Others reading this might learn better by being given a verbal kick in the *kitten*. If you want long term success, sometimes you gotta toughen up, because you can learn a lot from the more blunt people around here.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    It appears to me that this board has a few people who don't believe that sugar affects some people more than others, or that withdrawal like symptoms are real for some when sugar is removed from their diets. I think those people do not have an issue with sugar, and have never experienced it, so they don't accept it as possible... Just my opinion.

I too have issues with sugar. If I am offered 1 cookie, I have more. Pop is my favourite "food". I'm to the pint where if I fry up too many carbs with my eggs in the morning (like a pepper) then I am craving carbs later in the day and hungry within a couple of hours rather than four.

I went low carb high fat (LCHF) to get into ketogenisis, and I felt pretty poorly for about 2weeks - on and off. I was very tired, had migraines most of the time and was a bit cranky. Just weak. I'm not working out but now that I am past that withdrawal, I feel the urge to work out and od something, which is more than I ever felt before.

My advice is to consider cutting back on exercise if you feel like you need to. Maybe tone it down to an easy jog or walk for a few days.

On the otherhand, a hard workout of HIIT will help clear the sugars out of your body faster. ;)

Just don't cheat. I had a couple of cheats and I think it made "withdrawal" last longer for me. Just a theory.

My other advice would be to try the LCD board. Other low carbers may understand what you are going through more than others who are not in the same boat. Good luck!

Especially agreeing with the bolded. I wonder if those people have ever given up sugar and if so if they were symptom-free.

@mardetox Here's the link to the Low Carb Daily group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Oh, I've just been reading this not posting, but I'll post to this one.

I not only thought I had issues with sugar and believed myself to be sensitive to it, I was convinced I was addicted to it, gave it up (in the form of added sugars and fruit, I still ate non-starchy veggies), and then was convinced I felt all better.

Yeah, um, no. I waved away days I felt bad as something else being wrong, even!

Since reintroducing it into my life in moderation now that I've worked through my REAL issues with food and accepted personal responsibility for them?

It's amazing how I can eat sugar, issue-free, with no symptoms that I was sure it used to give me.

One small caveat: Were I to eat an entire box of cookies, I'd get a migraine. I'd get the same from gorging myself on a huge quantity of fruit. I do have a real medical issue with a HUGE quantity of sugar. But in normal amounts modestly consumed? Nothing happens. I eat normal servings of fruit, ice cream, candy, or cookies, and walk away feeling fine.

So yes, people who have no issue with sugar and argue against theories of sugar being a "toxin" and people being sensitive to it know that it's, well, something that needs further examination.

I'm all for people giving sugar up for a while if they have developed bad habits around it. Time away from something is a good way to break those habits. After a time out, it's safe to bring yourself back to sugar with a more rational approach to things, but you have to believe that you're bigger than it. If you still tell yourself that the food is in control, you're not at the bottom of things yet.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I should add to my post about giving up added sugar that I did not feel the least bit better doing than than when I've eaten sugar in moderation and within the context of a healthy, calorie appropriate diet. And to be clear, I felt really good in both cases. But there was no magical effect of giving up sugar (or, for that matter, grains, and I feel better when I have dairy than when I don't--although this last might be entirely psychological).

I also don't feel better or worse when eating or not eating meat.

None of this surprises me, as humans are basically adapted to be able to eat what's available and thrive, and I am not lactose intolerant, celiac, and do not eat any foods I am allergic to.

To this point, me either! I chose to do the plant based thing because it agrees with my personal beliefs on the matter but I never once thought that I'd gain super powers and lo, and behold! I didn't.

The mind desperately wants your reality to be real, so much so that, in some instances, it will actually create symptoms you expect to be feeling because it wants them to be real for you.

Doesn't mean they are, though.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I used to drink juice with breakfast, soft drink all day, and alcohol with dinner.

Then I heavily reduced the juice and alcohol, and swapped soft drink for sparkling mineral or plain water.

I did not have any headaches or nausea.

Nor did I hold up any convenience stores or sell my mother's jewellery.

And I certainly didn't give that lying scam artist Dr Oz any credit.