Skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is preference only. Do what's best for you.

Me, I need my oatmeal with fruit and cashew of almond or coconut milk, my homemade mocha, and my protein on lifting days, because otherwise I am not a very nice person.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Me, I need my oatmeal with fruit and cashew of almond or coconut milk, my homemade mocha, and my protein on lifting days, because otherwise I am not a very nice person.
    You're nice? I kid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

It's like bugs under my skin when people come in here and say "Do this or don't do that and never do that but always do this because if you don't do what I say, bad things! Baaaad things!!" Just because something does or doesn't work for some folks doesn't make it the end solution for everyone.

No one came here telling anyone what to do, All I did was present the scientific facts regarding eating breakfast in response to someone else posting personal subjective opinion as fact. It's up to you to decide what to do with that scientific knowledge and information.

There have literally been 10's of 1000s of studies done regarding this subject, Far to many for any single person to review thats why people like me must rely on abstracts and the scientific consensus of experts. It seems like every conceivable avenue of research has been exhausted and the science is very clear, It's not even a debated subject among recognized scientific experts, About the only time you see this subject debated is when someone is trying to sell snake oil.

Unfortunately far to many people confuse subjective personal opinion with verifiable objective observations made using established and proven scientific principals performed by recognized experts and credible scientific institutes. My favorite tactic is when someone quotes a dubious study by a known industry front group with questionable integrity in an attempt to debunk a scientific consensus by credible institutes.

Once again, the information has been provided, No one is trying to force you or anyone else to do anything you don't want to do. It's up to you to decide what to do with that knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible as best I can tell it's an out right lie.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm very rarely hungry in the morning but you always hear people saying how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I just always go slightly over my calories if I eat breakfast and don't if I skip it. So, is skipping it really that bad?

Me too! I always go over when I eat breakfast, well sometimes, if I add like an iced coffee or something but when I was really serious about my diet before getting pregnant I did ice cold water as soon as i woke up, egg whites with tomatoes and onions and turkey bacon or I would do oatmeal with frozen fruit. Talking about it, I should go back to that, but being pregnant, I wake up and want eggs, turkey bacon, buttered toast and iced coffee, easily 500 calories lol
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Snip... The issue is insisting that not eating breakfast is harmful in some way, which is clearly false.

Once again it seems like several of the studies quoted contradict that assertion

for example
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.

A reasonable person would conclude that increasing your risk of Type 2 diabetes could be considered "harmful in some way"

• July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.

Just in case you thought it only applied to men
    • June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast

Once again I would assume that a reasonable person would conclude that increasing your risk factor for obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes could be considered "harmful in some way"

Once again, the information has been provided, No one is trying to force you or anyone else to do anything you don't want to do. It's up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible as best I can tell it contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Snip... The issue is insisting that not eating breakfast is harmful in some way, which is clearly false.

Once again it seems like several of the studies quoted contradict that assertion

for example
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.

A reasonable person would conclude that increasing your risk of Type 2 diabetes could be considered "harmful in some way"

• July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.

• June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast

Once again I would assume that a reasonable person would conclude that increasing your risk factor for obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes could be considered "harmful in some way"

Once again, the information has been provided, No one is trying to force you or anyone else to do anything you don't want to do. It's up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible as best I can tell it contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject.
    You've still never addressed the question I asked:

What's the difference between someone eating between 7am-7pm and a person that eats 12pm-12am? Now obviously the person not eating at 12pm-12am isn't eating "breakfast".

As for the studies, all show correlation. People aren't getting obese because they're skipping breakfast. It's because they are eating too much. Now may some "gorge" because they didn't eat breakfast? Sure. But none of the studies show what people eat for breakfast. I bet if I go to IHOP every morning to watch the breakfast eaters there, 60% or more will be overweight or obese. Especially since most breakfasts there are up to 1000 calories. Probably the same at a Golden Corral.

Here's something that doesn't need a study to verify: If you drive, you have a 99% risk of getting in a car accident than one who doesn't drive. That's a pretty high risk, right? Driving SAFELY isn't the CAUSE of accidents though. That would be usually due to people who either drive too fast, are distracted, or plain disobey driving rules.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You're nice? I kid.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:D

I try to be. Just had breakfast about an hour ago.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

for example
    • May 24, 2012:

• July 15, 2013:

• June 17, 2013:

Where's the links to these peer reviewed studies? All we have to go off of is your interpretation.

I would not even think of skipping breakfast because I love it so much, but it has nil to do with weight loss. Really, it's preference only.
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options

Where's the links to these peer reviewed studies? All we have to go off of is your interpretation.

I would not even think of skipping breakfast because I love it so much, but it has nil to do with weight loss. Really, it's preference only.

Up until about a year and a half ago I never ate breakfast, In fact I still have a hard time eating first thing in the morning when I wake up. But just like doing push-ups first thing in the morning I've trained myself to do it. By the way doing push-ups first thing every morning while I wait for my water to boil is probably one of the best habits I've ever developed.

I do between 150-200 push-ups a day, If I can get my wife to sit on my shoulders while I do them then I can drop it down to about 50. 10 years ago I was involved in a bicycle accident that severely injured my back, legs and knees, I was in a chair for almost a year, I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom without help. The Dr's all told me I would be lucky to walk a mile without a cane let alone ever run one again. This week I ran my first mile and I can walk 10 miles without a cane and do 50 push-ups with my wife sitting on my back, Not bad for an old man who just a year and a half ago weighed in at nearly 300 pounds and couldn't get out of bed or up from a chair or walk to the bathroom without help. The only way I was able to do this was by developing good habits and breaking bad ones.

"All we have to go off of is your interpretation"
    Those aren't my interpretations, Those are actual quotes from the abstract descriptions, I just added the journal publish dates to make it easier to find the abstract. I already provided the search link to pubmed where these abstracts can be found. I didn't do all the work for you, It's up to you to narrow the search because there are over 700 pages in the search index when you search pubmed for a simple term like "skipping breakfast" Far to much research materiel for anyone person to parse, once again the reason for the dates.

"it's preference"
    I agree eating breakfast is a personal decision. But like all dietary habits it should be a well informed decision not one based on someone else's subjective personal opinion. Just like smoking and drinking, as long as you are well informed and understand the difference between subjective personal opinion as apposed to credible scientific research and understand and accept the risk's then it's your choice but denying the risks or worse yet telling others there is no risk or scientific basis for eating breakfast is not only irresponsible its contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject..

"but it has nil to do with weight loss."
    Again the key word here is SAFE weight loss..

As I have shown, scientific research has shown that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with people who routinely skip breakfast.

Therefore developing or advocating a dietary habit that increase's a persons risk of a heart attack, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes doesn't fall under the definition of "safe" weight loss by any stretch of the imagination.
    • July 28, 2013:
      According to a 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
    • July 15, 2013:
    • June 17, 2013:
    There were also quite a few university research studies which indicated that people who ate breakfast were more successful at losing weight and they kept it off longer then those who routinely skip breakfast..

Once again, the scientific information on the subject has been provided, I've even provided a link to the largest source of published research on this subject, No one is trying to force you or anyone else into doing anything you don't want to do.
    Just like smoking and drinking once you're informed of the risks It's up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible, again as best I can tell it contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject.

My goal here was not to force anyone to do something they didn't want to do or to insult anyone anymore then they may have insulted someone else as I don't believe in double standards and hypocrisy. I merely intended to proved a scientific answer from a credible and authoritative source as a means of challenging those who were presenting their own personal subjective opinions as fact. Judging from the responses it unfortunately appears as though I may have bruised a few egos in the process and for that I apologize.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Full text of the study in question...
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/128/4/337.full

A few sticking points...
    We totaled the number of responses to calculate a participant’s eating frequency per day. Because some men who reported skipping breakfast also reported that they ate before breakfast (3%) or between breakfast and lunch (20%), we defined breakfast as a positive response to any of the first 3 eating times (before breakfast, breakfast, between breakfast and lunch) to differentiate those who broke fast from those who did not break fast. We defined late-night eating as a positive response to eating after going to bed.
    Participants who did not report eating breakfast were younger than those who did and were more likely to be smokers, to work full time, to be unmarried, to be less physically active, and to drink more alcohol
    Results for the breakfast and late-night eating analyses were not materially altered by further adjustment for each other, stress, aspirin use, antidepressant medication, daily number of cigarettes among smokers, body weight change every 4 years, and specific dietary components such as folate, whole grains, fiber, or saturated fat.

And the conclusion...
    We observed in this large, prospective study of middle-aged and older US male health professionals that breakfast eating was associated with a lowered risk of CHD. Our study is the first to assess eating habits in relation to CHD, and the associations we report are significant but modest, requiring replication. If replicated in women and other ethno-cultural groups, the findings from the present study provide evidence to support a recommendation of daily breakfast eating by clinicians and health authorities to prevent CHD and to improve health at both the individual and population levels.

I see a big IF in there...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh good grief, you're comparing preference to breakfast with smoking? Please tell me anything good about smoking besides being a shareholder in the tobacco industry?

And you still haven't answered my question about timing of meals in 12 hours fasts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Takiyahs
    Takiyahs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is TERRIBLE for you. Your body just went 8 or more hours without food. You have to nourish your body and mind for a productive day. Eat some eggs and oats daily. This is easy. You will get used to it.

You're kinda bossy. Please put your internet down.

HILARIOUS
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm still seeing no response to the articles I posted indicating the positive benefits of extended fasting periods.

You can't say the science supports your position if you're going to ignore all the science that refutes it.
  • ninerbuff
    edited July 2015
    Options

Up until about a year and a half ago I never ate breakfast, In fact I still have a hard time eating first thing in the morning when I wake up. But just like doing push-ups first thing in the morning I've trained myself to do it. By the way doing push-ups first thing every morning while I wait for my water to boil is probably one of the best habits I've ever developed.

I do between 150-200 push-ups a day, If I can get my wife to sit on my shoulders while I do them then I can drop it down to about 50. 10 years ago I was involved in a bicycle accident that severely injured my back, legs and knees, I was in a chair for almost a year, I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom without help. The Dr's all told me I would be lucky to walk a mile without a cane let alone ever run one again. This week I ran my first mile and I can walk 10 miles without a cane and do 50 push-ups with my wife sitting on my back, Not bad for an old man who just a year and a half ago weighed in at nearly 300 pounds and couldn't get out of bed or up from a chair or walk to the bathroom without help. The only way I was able to do this was by developing good habits and breaking bad ones.

"All we have to go off of is your interpretation"
    Those aren't my interpretations, Those are actual quotes from the abstract descriptions, I just added the journal publish dates to make it easier to find the abstract. I already provided the search link to pubmed where these abstracts can be found. I didn't do all the work for you, It's up to you to narrow the search because there are over 700 pages in the search index when you search pubmed for a simple term like "skipping breakfast" Far to much research materiel for anyone person to parse, once again the reason for the dates.

"it's preference"
    I agree eating breakfast is a personal decision. But like all dietary habits it should be a well informed decision not one based on someone else's subjective personal opinion. Just like smoking and drinking, as long as you are well informed and understand the difference between subjective personal opinion as apposed to credible scientific research and understand and accept the risk's then it's your choice but denying the risks or worse yet telling others there is no risk or scientific basis for eating breakfast is not only irresponsible its contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject..

"but it has nil to do with weight loss."
    Again the key word here is SAFE weight loss..

As I have shown, scientific research has shown that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with people who routinely skip breakfast.

Therefore developing or advocating a dietary habit that increase's a persons risk of a heart attack, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes doesn't fall under the definition of "safe" weight loss by any stretch of the imagination.
    • July 28, 2013:
      According to a 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
    • July 15, 2013:
    • June 17, 2013:
    There were also quite a few university research studies which indicated that people who ate breakfast were more successful at losing weight and they kept it off longer then those who routinely skip breakfast..

Once again, the scientific information on the subject has been provided, I've even provided a link to the largest source of published research on this subject, No one is trying to force you or anyone else into doing anything you don't want to do.
    Just like smoking and drinking once you're informed of the risks It's up to you to decide what to do with this knowledge and information. But telling someone that there is no scientific basis for eating breakfasts is not only irresponsible, again as best I can tell it contradicts the established scientific consensus on the subject.

My goal here was not to force anyone to do something they didn't want to do or to insult anyone anymore then they may have insulted someone else as I don't believe in double standards and hypocrisy. I merely intended to proved a scientific answer from a credible and authoritative source as a means of challenging those who were presenting their own personal subjective opinions as fact. Judging from the responses it unfortunately appears as though I may have bruised a few egos in the process and for that I apologize.
    Again, correlation being used a proof.

Let's look at statistics. 65% of the people in the US are overweight or obese. What percentage don't eat breakfast? I'm betting more do than don't. I don't ever recall ever meeting any overweight/obese client NOT eating breakfast. ALL of them did, but many breakfasts were 500-700 calories and higher. And I'm only dealing with a small percentage of people TRYING to lose weight. There are a majority who don't bother with it at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm very rarely hungry in the morning but you always hear people saying how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I just always go slightly over my calories if I eat breakfast and don't if I skip it. So, is skipping it really that bad?

Nope.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Oh good grief, you're comparing preference to breakfast with smoking? Please tell me anything good about smoking besides being a shareholder in the tobacco industry?

It's the Land of Woo in here today....
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the snarky person and say everyone eats breakfast. My grandma gets up at 7 and has breakfast at 2 and it is usually ice cream.

ok I'm done.
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Don't eat if you aren't hungry, eat when you are
  • CaptBligh001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm still seeing no response to the articles I posted indicating the positive benefits of extended fasting periods.

You can't say the science supports your position if you're going to ignore all the science that refutes it.

First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, and second I don't see any credible studies posted that refutes anything in the Harvard studies. But then again there have been literally 10's of 1000s of studies on this subject which makes it very easy for people to cherry pick data much like the Tobacco apologist did while trying to spread doubt and disinformation regarding Tobacco use. This is why I used that analogy and which is exactly why I don't personally interpret scientific data. I merely post quotes from the abstracts which are written by the study authors.

Furthermore no insult intended and with all do respect I seriously doubt you, nor I or anyone else here is educated or qualified enough to interpret the data in these studies, So if you are attempting to interpret data then excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in your personal interpretation of said data. Again that's why I defer to the experts and the standing scientific consensus on the subject.. Keep in mind that not all research studies are created equal. The studies I quoted were performed by highly credible researchers by one of the worlds most respected institutions. These studies spanned 16 years with over 30,000 test subjects and they are 1000's of pages long..

Once again the facts as written by the experts who preformed the studies
    • July 28, 2013:
      A 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
    • July 15, 2013:
    • June 17, 2013:

Once again I'm astounded that I actually found anyone who would challenge the validity of these scientific studies and try and interpret them in a manner contradictory to the official conclusion of the study authors. As far as the scientific community and experts are concerned the science is pretty much settled yet here we are, Next thing I know if I say the world is a globe people here will argue that the earth is flat and post links to the flat earth society as proof.

Once again let me clarify that I was responding to people claiming that there is no scientific evidence that supports the claim that skipping breakfast is unhealthy.

Quite the contrary as I have shown there is substantial data backing up this finding. Whether you agree with the results of these scientific study's or not it's irresponsible and dishonest to tell someone that there is no valid scientific research or reason for eating breakfast. The honest and honorable thing to do is provide them with the best available data and let them make up their own mind, which is exactly what I've been trying to do...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Repeating the same things over and over without even linking to the studies you're talking about isn't exactly a good way to discuss a topic.
    Also you're not adressing the fact that this is only correlation.

"Studies found that more people are drowning at air temperatures above 30°C." Therefore everyone should only go swim when it's cold?