Skipping breakfast

Options
1234568»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm still seeing no response to the articles I posted indicating the positive benefits of extended fasting periods.

You can't say the science supports your position if you're going to ignore all the science that refutes it.

First of all you are comparing apples to oranges, and second I don't see any credible studies posted that refutes anything in the Harvard studies. But then again there have been literally 10's of 1000s of studies on this subject which makes it very easy for people to cherry pick data much like the Tobacco apologist did while trying to spread doubt and disinformation regarding Tobacco use. This is why I used that analogy and which is exactly why I don't personally interpret scientific data. I merely post quotes from the abstracts which are written by the study authors.

Furthermore no insult intended and with all do respect I seriously doubt you, nor I or anyone else here is educated or qualified enough to interpret the data in these studies, So if you are attempting to interpret data then excuse me if I don't place a high degree of confidence in your personal interpretation of said data. Again that's why I defer to the experts and the standing scientific consensus on the subject.. Keep in mind that not all research studies are created equal. The studies I quoted were performed by highly credible researchers by one of the worlds most respected institutions. These studies spanned 16 years with over 30,000 test subjects and they are 1000's of pages long..

Once again the facts as written by the experts who preformed the studies
    • July 28, 2013:
      A 16 year study of nearly 27,000 participants by Harvard University, men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of heart attack or death from coronary heart disease.
    • May 24, 2012:
      A 16-year study from Harvard of nearly 30,000 subjects found that men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • July 15, 2013:
      A study from Harvard University School of Public Health published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that women who skip breakfast have a 20% higher risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than those who eat breakfast daily.
    • June 17, 2013:
      A study from the University of Minnesota found that people who eat breakfast regularly have a significantly lower risk of obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes compared with subjects who routinely skip breakfast

Once again I'm astounded that I actually found anyone who would challenge the validity of these scientific studies and try and interpret them in a manner contradictory to the official conclusion of the study authors. As far as the scientific community and experts are concerned the science is pretty much settled yet here we are, Next thing I know if I say the world is a globe people here will argue that the earth is flat and post links to the flat earth society as proof.

Once again let me clarify that I was responding to people claiming that there is no scientific evidence that supports the claim that skipping breakfast is unhealthy.

Quite the contrary as I have shown there is substantial data backing up this finding. Whether you agree with the results of these scientific study's or not it's irresponsible and dishonest to tell someone that there is no valid scientific research or reason for eating breakfast. The honest and honorable thing to do is provide them with the best available data and let them make up their own mind, which is exactly what I've been trying to do...
    Thousands of studies done, and not a single one of them shows any sort of cause/effect relationship with breakfast to anything at all. Why do you suppose that is?

• serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Vanyahiril wrote: »
    Eating breakfast (especially a fiber rich one) revs your metabolism for the day, and eating within a decent time of waking, is important too. A good breakfast should help you keep from overeating, the rest of the day, as your body tries to catch up.

Your metabolism doesn't need revved up. If you're alive, it's going.

OP, if you feel you do better without breakfast, don't eat it. I'm the opposite in that I'll overeat if I don't eat breakfast. Meal timing/frequency is a personal choice.

Agreed. I don't feel hungry in the morning so I don't have anything but my coffee. And I like that I can save calories for after dinner when I feel desperate for a cookie!