Clean Eating?

Options
NinaSharp
NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I've felt like that about tequila, but I get right back on that horse.

Ignoring the possibility that there was just something wrong with the cake, it doesn't seem unreasonable that food you haven't had in a while could cause issues. I don't think that means you should never eat it again though, of course, you could always choose to do so anyway.
  • ldalvarado
    ldalvarado Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat processed food. Specifically anything with inulin (chicory root) in it, which is very common in foods to bump up the fiber. I also avoid white sugar, white flour (or any processed/enriched flours) and fried food. Call me a batty old lady, but I truly believe a lot of the US health woes are caused by processed foods.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system.

Please, I urge you to re-examine your relationship with food and what it represents in your mind. This doesn't sound rational/healthy to me. One piece of cake should not send you into a guilt spiral leading to these thoughts. Thinking of it now shouldn't either.

Let's say you have kids, are you NEVER EVER going to have ice cream with them or cake? You need to realize life happens, and sometimes you eat cake -- it's nothing to punish yourself over.

Consider talking to a professional or checking a book out of the library on the topic. Please take care of yourself.
  • NinaSharp
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system.

Please, I urge you to re-examine your relationship with food and what it represents in your mind. This doesn't sound rational/healthy to me. One piece of cake should not send you into a guilt spiral leading to these thoughts. Thinking of it now shouldn't either.

Let's say you have kids, are you NEVER EVER going to have ice cream with them or cake? You need to realize life happens, and sometimes you eat cake -- it's nothing to punish yourself over.

Consider talking to a professional or checking a book out of the library on the topic. Please take care of yourself.

Reading back over my entry I realize it sounds like that, but I don't have an issue with food. I considered puking because I really felt that awful. I don't mean never having cake or junk food (I had McDonald's for dinner the previous night), but I'm trying to figure out what happened last night. Thank you for your concern though.

• NinaSharp
    Options

Reading back over my entry I realize it sounds like that, but I don't have an issue with food. I considered puking because I really felt that awful. I don't mean never having cake or junk food (I had McDonald's for dinner the previous night), but I'm trying to figure out what happened last night. Thank you for your concern though.

And technically it was two pieces of cake.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

This. Your issues sound psychological more than physical (as there is nothing wrong with cake - butter, flower, eggs, sugar - I mean really, it's fine).

If eating a "bad" food makes you want to purge that food, you may consider finding a professional to talk to if you can't shake those feelings.
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If eating overly processed, "junky" foods make you feel crappy then I would say don't eat them. I know the feeling you are talking about. I try to avoid overly processed foods as much as possible because I feel better when I don't eat them. If I do have something, like cake, I feel terribly ill and the next day feel like I was hit by a train.
    ldalvarado wrote: »
    Call me a batty old lady, but I truly believe a lot of the US health woes are caused by processed foods.

I agree with this!^^^
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ITT: Lots of people with psychosomatic reactions to arbitrarily defined "dirty" foods.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    ldalvarado wrote: »
    I cannot eat processed food. Specifically anything with inulin (chicory root) in it, which is very common in foods to bump up the fiber. I also avoid white sugar, white flour (or any processed/enriched flours) and fried food. Call me a batty old lady, but I truly believe a lot of the US health woes are caused by processed foods.
    If you mean caused by eating too much processed food, and food in general, then yeah. If you think eating corn in a can or corn flakes instead of corn on the cob is part of the problem, not so much.

• NinaSharp
    Options
    ITT: Lots of people with psychosomatic reactions to arbitrarily defined "dirty" foods.
    Fair. I didn't consider that. I've had this cake before my diet and loved it. At the time that I ate it, it was more of a "I've been super good, it's just one piece of cake, maybe two pieces so I'll be fine."
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

Personally, I think the bolded is spot on. It's not about clean eating though. It's just about your body not being used to something super sweet and super rich because you haven't had it in a while.

This happened to me with chocolate cake, in fact. My mom makes what she likes to call "PMS cake" because it has five different kinds of chocolate in it (including pudding and chocolate chips). Well, it also has sour cream and a whole stick of butter, so not only is it packed with sugar, it's also packed in fat. I used to be able to eat three peices in a row - almost half a cake - without blinking an eye and would feel nothing from it except a slight sugar rush (and happiness. This was an awesome cake).

After losing 85 pounds I tried just a piece - sick as a dog. My system has difficulty with fats, so I think it was an equal part the sweetness and the richness. I just... well, I spent a lot of time in the bathroom that night. I'll leave it there.

It's not that the cake is "bad" or "good" (although I don't even want to know the calorie content). It's just that my system reacted poorly to it after having eaten healthier macros for so long.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

Pay no attention to these people who say it's psychosomatic.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Fair. I didn't consider that. I've had this cake before my diet and loved it. At the time that I ate it, it was more of a "I've been super good, it's just one piece of cake, maybe two pieces so I'll be fine."

A piece of cake (or two!) here and there is not going to hurt you or ruin your "healthy" streak. As long as you are taking in plenty of protein, fats, and veggies for micronutrients, then you're fine to have treats, such as cake, in moderation. I find that it's best to take the moral attributes away from foods and view them as what they are: protein, fats, and carbs. Sure, the ratios of each nutrient in each food will differ, but you can make them fit into your goals and your body will still take what it needs from the food and excrete what it doesn't.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

ETA:

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

Pay no attention to these people who say it's psychosomatic.

Why would she ignore the suggestion that her reactions are psychosomatic? Given her circumstances and the information she has provided in her OP, it seems to be the most likely reason for her reaction. There is nothing wrong with looking at foods in a neutral light and incorporating a variety of foods into one's diet.
  • NinaSharp
    Options

A piece of cake (or two!) here and there is not going to hurt you or ruin your "healthy" streak. As long as you are taking in plenty of protein, fats, and veggies for micronutrients, then you're fine to have treats, such as cake, in moderation. I find that it's best to take the moral attributes away from foods and view them as what they are: protein, fats, and carbs. Sure, the ratios of each nutrient in each food will differ, but you can make them fit into your goals and your body will still take what it needs from the food and excrete what it doesn't.

I didn't say it would. My question is regarding the feeling after I ate the cake. I love cake. I didn't get to be my size without loving cake. Can I have cake safely without feeling like death? Because if so, That is the train I want to be on. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar instances, because right now, I'm the only person in my family who got ill after eating it.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I didn't say it would. My question is regarding the feeling after I ate the cake. I love cake. I didn't get to be my size without loving cake. Can I have cake safely without feeling like death? Because if so, That is the train I want to be on. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar instances, because right now, I'm the only person in my family who got ill after eating it.

Chances are, if you work on viewing foods neutrally, you will be able to enjoy cake on occasion without suffering any ill effects.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

more than likely there was something spoiled in the cake and it made you ill, or you were already coming down with something and got a bug.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    My guess is that you just need to ease back into eating stuff that rich and sweet. Time will tell.
  • NinaSharp
    Options

Chances are, if you work on viewing foods neutrally, you will be able to enjoy cake on occasion without suffering any ill effects.

Not trying to be rude at this point, but you are like a dog with a bone right now. So every stomach ache is because I can't view foods neutrally. So my peanut butter allergy is because I think it's fattening?

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of someone that gave up sweets have that severe a reaction to eating some after a long time. That makes me think there's something else wrong, maybe food poisoning. Just my opinion, though.