Clean Eating?

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    OP - I wouldn't draw a conclusion on one event. I'd recommend eating the cake again, when it's available and seeing how you feel. It could be 100 different things causing the belly ache.

I hope you feel better.

Pretty much...
  • msf74
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

Not trying to be rude at this point, but you are like a dog with a bone right now. So every stomach ache is because I can't view foods neutrally. So my peanut butter allergy is because I think it's fattening?

Do you know what ingredients there were in the cake? It's not out of the realms of possibility that it contained an ingredient which you have an intolerance to / causing reflux which could explain your experience.

I would certainly look to that before checking yourself in for a therapy session ;)

Reflux, didn't think about that. I remember several years ago I got up in the middle of night not feeling well and thought a granola bar might help. Yeah, turns out I was having major acid reflux and that granola bar pushed it over the edge. I spent a couple of hours on the floor, very nauseous and having trouble breathing. Even though I know it wasn't the granola bar, I haven't eaten one since.

Aye, for some reason many people think reflux disappears when you reach adulthood.

• NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Not trying to be rude at this point, but you are like a dog with a bone right now. So every stomach ache is because I can't view foods neutrally. So my peanut butter allergy is because I think it's fattening?

Do you know what ingredients there were in the cake? It's not out of the realms of possibility that it contained an ingredient which you have an intolerance to / causing reflux which could explain your experience.

I would certainly look to that before checking yourself in for a therapy session ;)

Reflux, didn't think about that. I remember several years ago I got up in the middle of night not feeling well and thought a granola bar might help. Yeah, turns out I was having major acid reflux and that granola bar pushed it over the edge. I spent a couple of hours on the floor, very nauseous and having trouble breathing. Even though I know it wasn't the granola bar, I haven't eaten one since.

Missed this comment. I totally hadn't considered that. A little google fu shows it's similar to how I felt last night. That may have been it. I'll try the cake again (my parents always have it at their house) and see what happens.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Missed this comment. I totally hadn't considered that. A little google fu shows it's similar to how I felt last night. That may have been it. I'll try the cake again (my parents always have it at their house) and see what happens.

It happens to me every time I eat fake nacho cheese. Sad.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

Yes, OP, I had that experience recently at a baby shower - had a generous piece of chocolate cake and it didn't sit well. I don't eat concentrated sugar like that very often. Prior to the cake I'd had bacon and eggs for breakfast, and tabbouleh, fruit, veggies at the shower. I am sure the cause of my post-cake malaise was the huge amount of sugar hitting me. I limit stuff like that to special occasions and after this most recent experience I will remember that I don't have to eat the whole thing :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. If your digestive system isn't used to you putting things like that in it any more, and then suddenly you do, it's easy to feel horribly sick for hours. If I eat something fried, or greasy, or much of something sugary, I get the same reaction. blaaaargh!
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

Pay no attention to these people who say it's psychosomatic.

I strongly disagree with this. Any time an artificial split between mind and body is created, we're at risk of ignoring important signals and information. It's a GOOD thing to consider that there may be a bit of an emotional/psychological reaction to eating chocolate cake after consciously avoiding sweets for so long. And even if it's popular to dismiss this very real mind-body relationship by tossing it off as "psychosomatic", it's very much a part of who we are and how we relate to food.

It sounds like a lot of things could have been happening for you (OP). It's possible you were on the cusp of not feeling well anyway for other reasons and the cake just pushed you over the edge.

I can't eat the same size servings of super-rich (whether savory or sweet) foods that I used to. I usually hit the "I've had enough" point much sooner now. Perhaps you're in the same boat, and your previous habits did an override of your current "stop now" point and it was just too much. Next time, try a smaller portion and eat it more slowly (I am not saying you wolfed it down; I'm just saying don't go by your previous norms with the cake) and see how it goes.

Here's hoping you and chocolate cake can achieve a happier relationship in future!

This is entirely possible. I lifted the 2nd slice from my brothers plate right after I ate the first, so I probably didn't allot time for that warning to stop eating. Thank you for all these good suggestions.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »

ETA:

Yes, OP, I had that experience recently at a baby shower - had a generous piece of chocolate cake and it didn't sit well. I don't eat concentrated sugar like that very often. Prior to the cake I'd had bacon and eggs for breakfast, and tabbouleh, fruit, veggies at the shower. I am sure the cause of my post-cake malaise was the huge amount of sugar hitting me. I limit stuff like that to special occasions and after this most recent experience I will remember that I don't have to eat the whole thing :)

again, self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't eat cake a lot, but when I do I get no sugar rush....

unless you have a medical condition you are not revealing???
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

ETA:

It seems as though you had this reaction because you haven't eaten any Cakes or Sweets etc. in a long time.
    I've read other posts whereby people have been eating mostly Non Processed Foods, then once they have something like a Burger or even Alcohol - they get a similar bad reaction.
    I eat processed foods all the time and never get bad reactions, so i guess (rightly or wrongly) my body is used to them.
    Not really sure what to suggest, but it's good to know you're OK now.

[Edited by MFP Moderators]
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Also have you been checked for allergy to propylene glycol? It's in all cake mixes that I've ever seen on the shelf. If I bake from scratch, I avoid this problem, but if I eat cake from a mix, I will have a bad reaction just like if I use lotion or some other cosmetic with PG in it on my skin. Big itchy red bumps. A lot of people are developing problems with it lately, whether those show on the skin (most common) or other symptoms. Do you know if the cake was from a mix or from scratch?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The last time something like that happened to me was when we at lunch at McDonald's. It wasn't because we ate McDonald's food, it was because the food we ate was bad. The whole family was ill for that night and the next day. I wouldn't rule out food poisoning. The very next weekend we drove by and the entire building had been torn down, so we were pretty sure at that point it was tainted food.

That was years ago and I don't eat McDonald's anymore, but not for that reason.

I could not imagine a world without being able to eat chocolate cake or other yummy pastries.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

ETA:

So I had a similar experience and I have a feeling its the ingredients sitting in your stomach in a certain order. My situation was one of two things 1) The cake was too oily and sat bad in my stomach/an egg was bad in the batter OR 2) I got a stomach virus the exact same time. Its happened with chicken also and I knew the chicken was cooked perfectly, I was the only person who got sick. Sometimes a stomach just wants to politely say "Go **** yourself" lol

I also think in a different light you can spin the words "Clean eating" as Eating only foods that would make your stomach react weird but that's to a personal effect and also something these forums aren't mature enough to differentiate with lol Good luck OP!
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

A typical side effect to a food issue that it would seem no one on this post understands haha. Wow did people take what you said to a unnecessary extreme. I had a stomach virus when I was 6 and I was eating hot dogs, I didn't touch a hotdog again until I was legit 20. Its a mental block! Not a eating disorder.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Also have you been checked for allergy to propylene glycol? It's in all cake mixes that I've ever seen on the shelf. If I bake from scratch, I avoid this problem, but if I eat cake from a mix, I will have a bad reaction just like if I use lotion or some other cosmetic with PG in it on my skin. Big itchy red bumps. A lot of people are developing problems with it lately, whether those show on the skin (most common) or other symptoms. Do you know if the cake was from a mix or from scratch?

I think a lot of people are having "problems" with propylene glycol because it's hit the spot light of medical science controversy recently. There was a big recall of Fireball Whiskey in Europe because the shipment contained too much of it for the regulations of the country it landed in, which is more strict than the US standards. So - now everyone's beginning to fearmonger PG as being this horrible chemical that causes alzheimers (after searching some, I haven't even been able to find a study mentioning the two together), and raising arguments as to why the US allows more of it in food than Europe.

This is not to discount your allergy. I just think PG is going to become the new gluten. Everyone's going to say they have a problem with it when only .0005% of those cases are true.
  • msf74
    Options
    It seems as though you had this reaction because you haven't eaten any Cakes or Sweets etc. in a long time.
    I've read other posts whereby people have been eating mostly Non Processed Foods, then once they have something like a Burger or even Alcohol - they get a similar bad reaction.

I don't think this phenomenon is all that surprising really.

When many people diet they tend to cut out foods high in fat or alcohol which are common causes of heartburn / reflux.

Then when they get re-introduced (usually by eating or drinking them quickly...) it causes those reactions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm just going to guess it was that you weren't used to the richness of those foods anymore and it was hard on your system

edit: I just had that happen with some delicious "healthy" cookies from a local bakery.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Some things really bother my stomach and have since I was a kid. Too much dairy, really greasy fried foods, coffee, and some grain/bread products will have me in pain within half an hour of eating them. I seem to be a lot like my mom. The first time my dad took her home to meet family, she ended up eating their soul food meal then had to camp out in the bathroom and lay down in a bedrooom within hours.
    I would have been mortified at 19 or 20 years old! LOL

If it's worth it - like my recent trip to NOLA, I take a 12 hour antacid pill before eating anything, then carry some activated charcoal with me to take several hours after eating.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Aye, for some reason many people think reflux disappears when you reach adulthood.

I never had it as a kid, only started having problems around college. Thank you for the digestive system Mom. ><
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Take a Zantac beforehand, and have a smaller piece. See if that helps. That's what I have to do to eat pizza if I don't want to spend the evening in misery.