Clean Eating?

Options

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat primal mostly which is similar to paleo but it calls for me to not eat as much processed foods and if I do eat processed its usually condiments with low sugar content. Last night I decided to say what the hell and go out for Mexican with some friends. I got a guacamole salad and some nachos and I paid for it all night. I had very bad stomach cramps and I was so bloated.

I understand you wanting to throw up. I've totally done that before. It's better than feeling miserable and ill.

This usually does happen when I occasionally go off. Alcohol doesn't do it but fast food or restaurant food does it big time. Especially sweets that aren't homemade. Idk what it is but I can just go to the bakery, I have to make my own otherwise it feels awful.
  • midpath
    Options
    Now that I think about it, it might be density. I've never been able to eat things like pancakes and such and store bought cakes and restaurant food is usually dense. Maybe that's it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    I eat primal mostly which is similar to paleo but it calls for me to not eat as much processed foods and if I do eat processed its usually condiments with low sugar content. Last night I decided to say what the hell and go out for Mexican with some friends. I got a guacamole salad and some nachos and I paid for it all night. I had very bad stomach cramps and I was so bloated.

I understand you wanting to throw up. I've totally done that before. It's better than feeling miserable and ill.

This usually does happen when I occasionally go off. Alcohol doesn't do it but fast food or restaurant food does it big time. Especially sweets that aren't homemade. Idk what it is but I can just go to the bakery, I have to make my own otherwise it feels awful.

if you can eat things from the bakery but not from the store then it is a mental thing. sugar = sugar
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Your Paleo ways seem so primitive.........how do you do it?

• jmule24
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you can eat things from the bakery but not from the store then it is a mental thing. sugar = sugar

The bakery sugar is more processed...... That's what it is
  • midpath
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

The bakery sugar is more processed...... That's what it is

Exactly my thoughts. I also don't really use added sugar in my baking. I might use sugary ingredients but I'm not adding cups of sugar to it. Plus you can make the se cake homemade that you'd find in a bakery and it would have about 45 less ingredients.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    th?id=JN.jONrO7Aq1ktkA6qQ6%2baIpA&pid=15.1&P=0

This discussion has been cleaned up to remove posts that were baiting and/or off topic. Replies that attack other users rather than the ideas presented in a post, replies to a topic that encourage drama to escalate or bringing drama from one discussion to another as well as taking a discussion off-topic are all potentially grounds for warnings. There was an interesting side-topic that got deleted in the 'clean-up'. If you have another topic you'd like to discuss, please create another thread with it, rather than derailing. THIS discussion is for helping the OP. :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or any other moderator.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

Pay no attention to these people who say it's psychosomatic.

just because you choose to demonize sugar, does no mean you have to demonize it for everyone else.

I don't demonize sugar for me or for anyone. How I view sugar is that for me to feel at my best and lose weight easily, I need to eat less of it. If the "I eat ice cream every day" / "I just ate half a cake" crowd are happy with their thing, I am happy for them.

However, for people who indicate that they are sensitive to sugar, I support them in eating how they need to eat to feel best, and think it's crass to suggest it's psychosomatic.

That you reach the conclusion that OP is sensitive to sugar based on the posts here seems like the kind of leap someone who demonizes sugar would make.

I didn't make any recommendations for how this OP should eat or make any conclusion about her experience. What I did was share my own experience.

Then, I took ndj1979's post about me demonizing sugar as to refer to posts I've made on other threads and responded generally.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To reiterate in attempt to underail the thread, I think OP has the right ideas about why this happened. I can respect people who clean eat to feel better, or because it's a tool to keep within your calorie limit.

And OP - I have also wanted to puked intentionally due to a sour, sour stomach. IMO - it was better than the pain I was experiencing. That's not an eating disorder; otherwise, we should all get counselors for our dogs because that's exactly what they do and it seems to work.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

just because you choose to demonize sugar, does no mean you have to demonize it for everyone else.

I don't demonize sugar for me or for anyone. How I view sugar is that for me to feel at my best and lose weight easily, I need to eat less of it. If the "I eat ice cream every day" / "I just ate half a cake" crowd are happy with their thing, I am happy for them.

However, for people who indicate that they are sensitive to sugar, I support them in eating how they need to eat to feel best, and think it's crass to suggest it's psychosomatic.

That you reach the conclusion that OP is sensitive to sugar based on the posts here seems like the kind of leap someone who demonizes sugar would make.

I didn't make any recommendations for how this OP should eat or make any conclusion about her experience. What I did was share my own experience.

Then, I took ndj1979's post about me demonizing sugar as to refer to posts I've made on other threads and responded generally.
    You wrote, "However, for people who indicate that they are sensitive to sugar, I support them in eating how they need to eat to feel best, and think it's crass to suggest it's psychosomatic."

Now, unless you're talking about some theoretical poster who was theoretically advised to consider psychosomatic causes by theoretical posters, you were posting about this thread and this OP. That's the clear implication of your words. Given that, you are stating that one of your premises is that the OP has indicated that she's sensitive to sugar. You can walk that back all you want, and couch it in post hoc qualifiers all you want, but I think the clearest reading of what you wrote at the time was that OP had indicated, in your mind, that she was sensitive to sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ETA:

just because you think that you are sensitive to sugar does not mean that everyone else is.

end discussion/
  • jmule24
    Options

ETA:

just because you think that you are sensitive to sugar does not mean that everyone else is.

end discussion/

Maybe a nutritional practitioner therapist might be able to help?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this kind of stuff is in people's heads...most people would consider my diet pretty clean...I primarily eat whole foods or minimally processed foods and prepare my meals from scratch, whole ingredients. I rarely indulge in what would typically be considered "junk" save for occasions and whatnot...but srsly, I just had a piece of cake today in celebration of a colleagues birthday...I haven't had cake in months...I feel fine.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think a lot of this kind of stuff is in people's heads...most people would consider my diet pretty clean...I primarily eat whole foods or minimally processed foods and prepare my meals from scratch, whole ingredients. I rarely indulge in what would typically be considered "junk" save for occasions and whatnot...but srsly, I just had a piece of cake today in celebration of a colleagues birthday...I haven't had cake in months...I feel fine.

you did not get stoned on the sugar rush?
  • midpath
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to assume our bodies are all the same. Period. Just because one person can eat a piece of cake and feel fine doesn't mean everyone can. So maybe its not in their heads.

To the OP, people can have a weird reaction to foods and ingredients they haven't had in a long time. It could also be bad cake. You also could've already had a bug.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to assume our bodies are all the same. Period. Just because one person can eat a piece of cake and feel fine doesn't mean everyone can. So maybe its not in their heads.

To the OP, people can have a weird reaction to foods and ingredients they haven't had in a long time. It could also be bad cake. You also could've already had a bug.

absent a medical condition or food allergy, our bodies all process food in the same manner..so not sure how that is ridiculous.

Just because you think you are different does not make it so.
  • midpath
    Options

absent a medical condition or food allergy, our bodies all process food in the same manner..so not sure how that is ridiculous.

Actually for someone to go without sugar for a long period of time and then eat a large amount of something extremely sugar dense can mess with your stomach.

Why's that hard for you to grasp?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Actually for someone to go without sugar for a long period of time and then eat a large amount of something extremely sugar dense can mess with your stomach.

Why's that hard for you to grasp?

How is one slice of chocolate cake "a large amount of something extremely sugar dense"?
  • midpath
    Options
    Two slices depending on their size can give you a stomach ache if they're made with a lot of sugar.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Two slices. Two.