Clean Eating?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ITT: Lots of people with psychosomatic reactions to arbitrarily defined "dirty" foods.
    Fair. I didn't consider that. I've had this cake before my diet and loved it. At the time that I ate it, it was more of a "I've been super good, it's just one piece of cake, maybe two pieces so I'll be fine."

A piece of cake (or two!) here and there is not going to hurt you or ruin your "healthy" streak. As long as you are taking in plenty of protein, fats, and veggies for micronutrients, then you're fine to have treats, such as cake, in moderation. I find that it's best to take the moral attributes away from foods and view them as what they are: protein, fats, and carbs. Sure, the ratios of each nutrient in each food will differ, but you can make them fit into your goals and your body will still take what it needs from the food and excrete what it doesn't.

I didn't say it would. My question is regarding the feeling after I ate the cake. I love cake. I didn't get to be my size without loving cake. Can I have cake safely without feeling like death? Because if so, That is the train I want to be on. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar instances, because right now, I'm the only person in my family who got ill after eating it.

Chances are, if you work on viewing foods neutrally, you will be able to enjoy cake on occasion without suffering any ill effects.

Not trying to be rude at this point, but you are like a dog with a bone right now. So every stomach ache is because I can't view foods neutrally. So my peanut butter allergy is because I think it's fattening?

Not what I said, but okay.

I was talking about cake, since cake was what you talked about in your OP.

You're comparing apples to oranges with the peanut allergy. That's ridiculous.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system.

Please, I urge you to re-examine your relationship with food and what it represents in your mind. This doesn't sound rational/healthy to me. One piece of cake should not send you into a guilt spiral leading to these thoughts. Thinking of it now shouldn't either.

Let's say you have kids, are you NEVER EVER going to have ice cream with them or cake? You need to realize life happens, and sometimes you eat cake -- it's nothing to punish yourself over.

Consider talking to a professional or checking a book out of the library on the topic. Please take care of yourself.

Reading back over my entry I realize it sounds like that, but I don't have an issue with food. I considered puking because I really felt that awful. I don't mean never having cake or junk food (I had McDonald's for dinner the previous night), but I'm trying to figure out what happened last night. Thank you for your concern though.

Sorry if I overreacted to your original post. Chocolate has all kinds of good reasons to eat it. Try some dark chocolate, just to see if it was the chocolate or sugar. (My guess is it was the sudden sugar spike.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ITT: Lots of people with psychosomatic reactions to arbitrarily defined "dirty" foods.
    Fair. I didn't consider that. I've had this cake before my diet and loved it. At the time that I ate it, it was more of a "I've been super good, it's just one piece of cake, maybe two pieces so I'll be fine."

A piece of cake (or two!) here and there is not going to hurt you or ruin your "healthy" streak. As long as you are taking in plenty of protein, fats, and veggies for micronutrients, then you're fine to have treats, such as cake, in moderation. I find that it's best to take the moral attributes away from foods and view them as what they are: protein, fats, and carbs. Sure, the ratios of each nutrient in each food will differ, but you can make them fit into your goals and your body will still take what it needs from the food and excrete what it doesn't.

I didn't say it would. My question is regarding the feeling after I ate the cake. I love cake. I didn't get to be my size without loving cake. Can I have cake safely without feeling like death? Because if so, That is the train I want to be on. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar instances, because right now, I'm the only person in my family who got ill after eating it.

Chances are, if you work on viewing foods neutrally, you will be able to enjoy cake on occasion without suffering any ill effects.

Not trying to be rude at this point, but you are like a dog with a bone right now. So every stomach ache is because I can't view foods neutrally. So my peanut butter allergy is because I think it's fattening?

no, it is called a self fulfilling prophecy. You eat cake and think "oh no, I ate bad foods" and you immediate mental reaction triggers you to feel bad..

OR

you just ate spoiled cake it made you feel sick

OR

you were already coming down with something

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

Being a bulimic when I was in my late teens/early twenties, and having gone through treatment and recovered, the bold statement jumped out of the page at me. Yikes!

The second thing that jumped out at me is labeling food as junk.

So, you felt sick from chocolate cake. Perhaps it was psychological, perhaps it was physical because you have not eat any in a long while. The point about that is that it made you feel ill. I know if I feel physically ill from something, I generally move on and do not eat it again.

Back to trying to will yourself to throw up, you need to get help for that. Seriously, you do. You need to talk to a professional, whether or not you actually made yourself throw up the cake.

Also, you might want to stop labeling food as junk. Food is food, none is good or bad, and the only evil it has is the evil we give it.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options

In hindsight this was a very rude response. I'm sorry for the things I typed when I had a stomach ache.

• ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in CI/CO. I've been following my diet pretty consistently for the last few months. Last night I wound up eating over my calories when I went to my parent's house and I had some chocolate cake. The problem is, within about 20 minutes of eating it, I felt like dying. I wasn't overly full, I just felt super sick. That feeling continued for the rest of the night to the point where I was trying to will myself to throw up to get it out of my system. Honestly, it has been a while since I've indulged in sweets like this, and I'm wondering if that is part of it? Those of you who do clean eating, but not to lose weight (just to feel better) have you had similar experiences?

The very thought of chocolate cake is making me feel ill right now, so I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good.

ETA:

Wow. I have to edit this because of some of the responses I'm getting. I did not want to puke because I ate of my calories. I did not want to puke because I consider cake to be bad. I wanted to throw up because I had the worst stomach ache ever and I laying on my bathroom floor at 11 pm, it was either death or throw up.

Thank you for your concern, but I do not have, have not ever had an eating disorder. #wowthatescalatedquickly.

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

Pay no attention to these people who say it's psychosomatic.

just because you choose to demonize sugar, does no mean you have to demonize it for everyone else.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

In hindsight this was a very rude response. I'm sorry for the things I typed when I had a stomach ache.

Apology accepted.

You said you loved cake. I tried to offer a solution that would allow you to still eat cake.

If you don't want to eat cake, then don't eat cake. Just understand that feeling a bit ill after eating a rich food is completely different than a peanut allergy, and I never suggested that you should eat peanuts (nor did I know about your peanut allergy). I'm sure that your peanut allergy does not make you go proclaim from the rooftops that no one should be eating peanuts.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

ETA:

Being a bulimic when I was in my late teens/early twenties, and having gone through treatment and recovered, the bold statement jumped out of the page at me. Yikes!

The second thing that jumped out at me is labeling food as junk.

So, you felt sick from chocolate cake. Perhaps it was psychological, perhaps it was physical because you have not eat any in a long while. The point about that is that it made you feel ill. I know if I feel physically ill from something, I generally move on and do not eat it again.

Back to trying to will yourself to throw up, you need to get help for that. Seriously, you do. You need to talk to a professional, whether or not you actually made yourself throw up the cake.

Also, you might want to stop labeling food as junk. Food is food, none is good or bad, and the only evil it has is the evil we give it.

I didn't actually throw up, but I see your point. I also bolded your last statement because you make a really good point.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Do you know what ingredients there were in the cake? It's not out of the realms of possibility that it contained an ingredient which you have an intolerance to / causing reflux which could explain your experience.

I would certainly look to that before checking yourself in for a therapy session ;)
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

ETA:

@ninasharpe228, yes I've been eating considerably less sugar over the last three months and now I feel nauseous after eating a regular sized Snickers bar and even worse after a Milky Way.

just because you choose to demonize sugar, does no mean you have to demonize it for everyone else.

I'm curious to see someday how broad these paint brushes are these fear mongers are using........

OP: I get this same feeling/reaction eating raw vegetables (no trolling).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

ETA:

I don't demonize sugar for me or for anyone. How I view sugar is that for me to feel at my best and lose weight easily, I need to eat less of it. If the "I eat ice cream every day" / "I just ate half a cake" crowd are happy with their thing, I am happy for them.

However, for people who indicate that they are sensitive to sugar, I support them in eating how they need to eat to feel best, and think it's crass to suggest it's psychosomatic.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

ETA:

I don't demonize sugar for me or for anyone. How I view sugar is that for me to feel at my best and lose weight easily, I need to eat less of it. If the "I eat ice cream every day" / "I just ate half a cake" crowd are happy with their thing, I am happy for them.

However, for people who indicate that they are sensitive to sugar, I support them in eating how they need to eat to feel best, and think it's crass to suggest it's psychosomatic.
    That you reach the conclusion that OP is sensitive to sugar based on the posts here seems like the kind of leap someone who demonizes sugar would make.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    OP - I wouldn't draw a conclusion on one event. I'd recommend eating the cake again, when it's available and seeing how you feel. It could be 100 different things causing the belly ache.

I hope you feel better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Apology accepted.

You said you loved cake. I tried to offer a solution that would allow you to still eat cake.

If you don't want to eat cake, then don't eat cake. Just understand that feeling a bit ill after eating a rich food is completely different than a peanut allergy, and I never suggested that you should eat peanuts (nor did I know about your peanut allergy). I'm sure that your peanut allergy does not make you go proclaim from the rooftops that no one should be eating peanuts.

"I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good." /= proclaim from the rooftops that no one should be eating peanuts

The first is an "I" statement and a question.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had eaten clean for about 4 months and then decided to eat about 4 donuts and it didnt do anything to me. If the 2 pieces of cake made you sick its either that there was something bad in it or it was in your mind because i doubt two pieces of cake with processed sugar all of a sudden would make you that sick. Im sure you get sugar from other sources everyday. My father told me a story once that when he was a teenager he once ate a blood sausage with some friends. He then realized that the Bible says it is forbidden to eat blood. He told me he became ill when he realized what he had done and threw it up. It was only after he realized it was a sin to eat blood that he felt ill and felt the need to throw it up...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

ETA:

Why would you automatically jump to the conclusion that OP is sensitive to sugar from her post, though? No offense to OP (really, just going by what I read), but there seem to be a lot of assumptions and confirmation bias in the original post. I'd be more inclined to lean towards spoiled food/psychological reaction just from reading the OP's post, rather than automatically assuming she has some weird sensitivity to sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ETA:

OP indicated no medical condition that would make her sensitive to sugar, so why then are you recommending she limit it???
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OP, I get what you are saying...I rarely eat sweets unless it is a small piece of super dark chocolate as an afternoon treat. I have found that when I indulge in anything sweeter/richer, I actually feel sick to my stomach...not to the point of throwing up mind you, but ill feeling. I've always assumed that my body is just not used to processing higher amounts of sugar, so in cases of birthday cakes, holiday pies etc I just make sure I eat the tiniest sliver so that I can still enjoy the yumminess without feeling like crap the rest of the day ;)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Do you know what ingredients there were in the cake? It's not out of the realms of possibility that it contained an ingredient which you have an intolerance to / causing reflux which could explain your experience.

I would certainly look to that before checking yourself in for a therapy session ;)

Reflux, didn't think about that. I remember several years ago I got up in the middle of night not feeling well and thought a granola bar might help. Yeah, turns out I was having major acid reflux and that granola bar pushed it over the edge. I spent a couple of hours on the floor, very nauseous and having trouble breathing. Even though I know it wasn't the granola bar, I haven't eaten one since.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Apology accepted.

"I'm wondering if I should be off "junk" food for good." /= proclaim from the rooftops that no one should be eating peanuts

The first is an "I" statement and a question.

That's not what I was implying in my post, but thanks for your input.