Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Why are you twisting my words?

Give me a break. You're splitting hairs and you know it.

Now go log your food, because it's lazy not to. Not calling you lazy, though.

Yes it is lazy not to always log my food. I eat the same things a lot of the time and know in my head how many calories it is.

And when I said "I am amazing", I only meant it as a strike back at you.

I know I am not amazing. I'm just an old guy trying to lose some weight and get healthier. And I think diet "AND" exercise is the best way to accomplish that for anyone. Not just because it is what I am doing, but because it would work for anyone who can physically do it.

And I see so many posts of people who have been struggling for months, and years, and decades, trying to do it with just calories. and it does seem like laziness to me. If a person is in good physical condition then weight control is not normally an issue. Once a person is over weight, the best thing is to use diet "AND" exercise to lose the weight and get back in shape. This gives a way better chance of maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level.

I didn't really mean the laziness part as an insult, but more of a motivational thing.

Oh good. More blanket statements about what you feel is best for all the peeples.

Did you not catch the .. Worry about yourself and no one else?

Seriously this is like talking to my children and kids at school ... You need to worry about you and not your neighbors.
    How is that not what you're doing?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I didn't really mean the laziness part as an insult, but more of a motivational thing.

:lol:

You don't know too much about motivation, do you. :lol:

Only from when I was in the Army (1983 - 1989), and believe you me... it seemed to work very well there... :D

It was a disaster there. The Army significantly changed its initial training procedures in the early 90s because - hey, here's a surprise - it turns out humiliation and shaming really suck as motivational tools when dealing with volunteers who actually have a choice.

It doesn't work well with draftees, either, but the denial of choice tends to mask immediate problems.

So you are saying that they don't teach humility in the first couple weeks of boot camp anymore?

Not sure that is a good idea, as humility is a core virtue.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Yes it is lazy not to always log my food. I eat the same things a lot of the time and know in my head how many calories it is.

I know I am not amazing. I'm just an old guy trying to lose some weight and get healthier. And I think diet "AND" exercise is the best way to accomplish that for anyone. Not just because it is what I am doing, but because it would work for anyone who can physically do it.

And I see so many posts of people who have been struggling for months, and years, and decades, trying to do it with just calories. and it does seem like laziness to me. If a person is in good physical condition then weight control is not normally an issue. Once a person is over weight, the best thing is to use diet "AND" exercise to lose the weight and get back in shape. This gives a way better chance of maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level.

Oh good. More blanket statements about what you feel is best for all the peeples.

Seriously this is like talking to my children and kids at school ... You need to worry about you and not your neighbors.

Oh so you're moving on to white knighting for the OP. That's cool.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Only from when I was in the Army (1983 - 1989), and believe you me... it seemed to work very well there... :D

It was a disaster there. The Army significantly changed its initial training procedures in the early 90s because - hey, here's a surprise - it turns out humiliation and shaming really suck as motivational tools when dealing with volunteers who actually have a choice.

It doesn't work well with draftees, either, but the denial of choice tends to mask immediate problems.

So you are saying that they don't teach humility in the first couple weeks of boot camp anymore?

Oh wow. The irony is painful.
  • jean_rennolds
    jean_rennolds Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    here I thought that was going to be a legitimate question. At least till I read it. I agree that it was hurtful and no one's business. At the same time other people have there own reasons weather personal or medical. My self I am just starting out and I have trouble just walking around the block. I get winded just walking up a flight of 15 steps. I'm O.C.D. when it comes to the stairs. I count. It's something I do. But I can see how the exercise allows you more calorie intake. What I don't know is how to burn the sugar with out hurting myself. As I said I have trouble going around one block. I get winded. I am still trying to kick the soda habit. I drink boost at least once a day and that added to the soda I drink puts me over the top. Although the Boost has sugar it also has the nutrients in it that I need to keep me going.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Clearly OP is a troll...but I'll take the bait.

1. I spent the first 3 months on mfp strictly counting calories. I was 261 lbs. I was uncomfortable and huge and exercising was terrible and embarrassing. Have you ever exercised at 261 lbs? Anyway...that is where I lost my first 30 lbs.
    2. Other than being huge and uncomfortable, I knew from past attempts that if I did too much, too fast, I would crash and burn. So I decided to get my eating in check, since ya know....weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    3. The risk of injury is significantly increased when you're morbidly obese.
    4. Oh yeah....when people like you (I would assume) laugh and yell demeaning insults when an overweight person is out walking or *gasp* trying to run? Yeah....those are fun times too.....

Those would be the top reasons why I stuck to strictly calorie counting for a while.

Do I exercise now? Every day. Do I judge people for losing weight and changing their lives the "lazy way"? Nope. I'll leave that to people like you.

So basically, I have lost 99 lbs total....62 since joining mfp and 30 of those lbs were lost being lazy. I'll take it :)
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    were any of you even in the military?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    To put my 2 cents in...it is non of your business.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Humility and humiliation....not the same thing. Very very different.

^Exactly. Was just about to point that out.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Oh so you're moving on to white knighting for the OP. That's cool.

If you want to think that laughing at the absurdity of this conversation is white knighting, that's fine with me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Why? Because the only way to have any say in this discussion is if we have military experience/backgrounds? Or you just trying to figure out how to grasp at more straws?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Based on your posts here, the lesson sure didn't stick.

So I guess the answer is no...they apparently didn't teach humility very well in the 80s.

• RNChristie33
    RNChristie33 Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it cannot be overstated how important it is for someone to learn healthy eating habits, and I'm super confused why it would ever be considered a negative for a person to know how to manage their weight by eating within their calorie limit alone, without exercise?? What happens when you get set back by illness or injury and cannot burn those extra cals by exercise? For me, when I was exercising as a part of my weight loss, my appetite and hunger was very difficult to manage. A lot of times I would end up overeating and it was hard for me to lose consistently. I didn't want to fight that battle this time, and now I'm just counting cals. guess what. Still losing weight.

Like it has been said... everyone has their own journey. Everyone has different goals. Lets not be too hasty to judge the couch potatoes. I'd still rather be a skinny couch potato who isn't quite as fit as the fat girl I used to be who could run 5 miles a day. But that's just me.

edit for grammer :)
  • OldAssDude
    Options

1. I spent the first 3 months on mfp strictly counting calories. I was 261 lbs. I was uncomfortable and huge and exercising was terrible and embarrassing. Have you ever exercised at 261 lbs? Anyway...that is where I lost my first 30 lbs.
    2. Other than being huge and uncomfortable, I knew from past attempts that if I did too much, too fast, I would crash and burn. So I decided to get my eating in check, since ya know....weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    4. Oh yeah....when people like you (I would assume) laugh and yell demeaning insults when an overweight person is out walking or *gasp* trying to run? Yeah....those are fun times too.....

Those would be the top reasons why I stuck to strictly calorie counting for a while.

Do I exercise now? Every day. Do I judge people for losing weight and changing their lives the "lazy way"? Nope. I'll leave that to people like you.

So basically, I have lost 99 lbs total....62 since joining mfp and 30 of those lbs were lost being lazy. I'll take it :)

My story is just about like yours, except a little less weight than you. I was 225 pounds, and had people laughing at me as I was huffing and puffing and sweating trying to walk around my apartment complex.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising and I just hated it. I sweat and it makes my skin condition worse. And I just got no patience. I do eat base on calories to lose weight. No shame on that. Much easier for me and I'm making better choices in the food I eat. I'm happy most importantly <3
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Why? Because the only way to have any say in this discussion is if we have military experience/backgrounds? Or you just trying to figure out how to grasp at more straws?

No. Just wanted to know if people who are telling me (someone that was actually in the military for 6 years) how the military works, were actually in the military, or just read something on the internet is all.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options

My story is just about like yours, except a little less weight than you. I was 225 pounds, and had people laughing at me as I was huffing and puffing and sweating trying to walk around my apartment complex.

Lol yeah probably not the same as my story at all...since I spent the first 3 months of my weight loss journey being lazy. And you just dove in head first. Clearly you're the winner here...congrats, dude. You're a solid human being.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Exercise is not a requirement for losing weight, but a calorie deficit is. Some people prefer exercise, others dont (or can't exercise), and that is all about personal preference and has nothing to do with laziness.

Your post comes across as judgmental toward those who choose not to exercise. The why has irrelevant unless you are asking yourself why you are not doing something.
This discussion has been closed.