Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

One of the times I lost weight (2011), I did it with minimal exercising. I needed to lose 13 lbs to reach my goal weight, so I took it slow and lost the 13 lbs over 13 weeks by cutting back on my calorie intake.

I did exercise some, partly because I can't imagine not exercising (life would be boring, dull and drab without exercise) and partly because I needed to get to and from work every day. My commute was a 3 km walk every day. Plus I did a little bit of cycling on the weekends.

But I didn't exercise up to my usual level because it was the middle of winter.

~~~~~~~~~~

That said ... one of the other times I lost weight, and kept it off for many years, was by increasing my exercise. I ate a lot ... there was no adjustment or restriction to my diet ... but I also exercised a tremendous amount and, at times, had trouble keeping weight on.

~~~~~~~~~~

And then there is this time, where I'm doing a combination of the two.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Interesting question, especially coming from someone whose food diary shows a whole bunch of days with only just over 1000 calories logged...

I don't always log everything, and I try to keep about 500 calories for grazing.

But if you look at my weight loss you will see about a pound per week loss over the past 7 months.

I just don't understand people who don't log everything they eat. Must be laziness.

But you know...not to offend, of course (!!!)

Heaven forbid!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    People have different attitudes and goals.

"Skinny fat" is my goal. I don't like being outside. I don't like exercising. I would like to get my doctor off my back about my weight and fit into an airplane seat comfortably.

If you want to exercise that's great. Feel free. However, I'm thrilled to have found a workable plan where I'm losing weight but I'm not hungry. MFP gives me a way to easily track my food intake and it's working for me.

I see this as a moral failing.

I've been thinking about why. I guess it looks like giving up. I have a very damaged body and I have had long periods of my life when I was absolutely unable to exercise. For me, being able to move again is a gift and I can't imagine just throwing that away like a piece of trash. I've fought so hard to get back to where I am athletically that I can't relate to the desire to sit like a bump on a log on purpose.

It's your life though, so whatever works for you! I imagine that if your doctor knew about how little you move, s/he would get on you about that too.

I want to be the 80-year-old who is still vital, dynamic and out on the dance floor, so I will keep on moving.

You are incredibly judgmental and passive aggressive. That's not actually an Olympic Sport - so maybe you should stop practicing.

antonio-banderas-ooo.gif
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    bhanvi wrote: »
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

Well it's a gradual process.
    Rome wasn't built in a day, we don't become experts in our professional field in a week, and we don't get to the point where we can run a treadmill to death without practice! :)

Just like it takes 3-4 years in university to get a degree, and further training on the job to become good/or reasonably efficient at it, running is the same!

Alot of it is mental as much as it is physical. If I put you in a class full of aeronautical engineer students (Assuming that isn't your industry lol) and expected you to excel in it when your interest and ambitions are say, to be a doctor - you just wouldn't adapt as well, or for most people, they would just fail or just barely scrape by and be absolutely miserable about it. Everyday would be a battle.

When I first started out I couldn't jog for more than a minute without being absolutely winded. I started by walking. The brisk walking. I wasn't sure what my goal was except that I wanted to be able to get to a point I could run around the park at least for a round WITHOUT stopping and WITHOUT getting winded. I downloaded an app to help me with the timing (interval running app - C25K, couch to 5k) and I repeated the weeks as needed if it was going too fast for me.

It took consistency - running 4 days a week. At the beginning it was a struggle to just get up and go out. Laziness, weather, depression, work, school - everything was a reason. Then I just made it a mini goal to get up, and just go out for a stroll AT LEAST even if I didn't want to run, just to take me out of the house and build the habit of waking up and going out for fitness.

Gradually over a year or so later I'm running 4-6 miles a day (depending on my mood) at the crack of dawn because I've actually developed an enjoyment of doing so - the air, the smells, the sights, the jog helps me clear my mind, and I don't even have to force myself. If I don't feel like to run, I just do a nice, easy, steady jog.

And this is the view I reward myself with: b2hytci1qtcl.jpg

Followed by a full-bodied, super strong Vietnamese coffee (I love kaapi too, but I couldn't find it near where I live) which I recently discovered is as delicious as a good Italian espresso. (SCANDALOUS!)

qqfs3431i1r9.png
    (This coffee one isn't mine haha but not much too different from how I have it - enjoying the warm morning sun on the porch with the sounds and smell of morning after a fresh shower and endorphins from the workout)
    Woaah!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

"Skinny fat" is my goal. I don't like being outside. I don't like exercising. I would like to get my doctor off my back about my weight and fit into an airplane seat comfortably.

If you want to exercise that's great. Feel free. However, I'm thrilled to have found a workable plan where I'm losing weight but I'm not hungry. MFP gives me a way to easily track my food intake and it's working for me.

I've been thinking about why. I guess it looks like giving up. I have a very damaged body and I have had long periods of my life when I was absolutely unable to exercise. For me, being able to move again is a gift and I can't imagine just throwing that away like a piece of trash. I've fought so hard to get back to where I am athletically that I can't relate to the desire to sit like a bump on a log on purpose.

It's your life though, so whatever works for you! I imagine that if your doctor knew about how little you move, s/he would get on you about that too.

I want to be the 80-year-old who is still vital, dynamic and out on the dance floor, so I will keep on moving.

You should be proud of yourself for coming such a long way. However...

One's pride in themselves should not come at the expense of others.

Both you and the OP have accomplished so much. Why use those accomplishments to belittle others?

• Machka9
    Options
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

Don't push yourself so hard.

Get on the treadmill, relax and walk 25 min next time. Then try for 30 min next time. Then try for 35 min next time. Gradually build up to an hour.

Once you get there, then you might include a bit of running here and there.

It's a gradual process.

• bhanvi
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »

Well it's a gradual process.
    Rome wasn't built in a day, we don't become experts in our professional field in a week, and we don't get to the point where we can run a treadmill to death without practice! :)

Just like it takes 3-4 years in university to get a degree, and further training on the job to become good/or reasonably efficient at it, running is the same!

Alot of it is mental as much as it is physical. If I put you in a class full of aeronautical engineer students (Assuming that isn't your industry lol) and expected you to excel in it when your interest and ambitions are say, to be a doctor - you just wouldn't adapt as well, or for most people, they would just fail or just barely scrape by and be absolutely miserable about it. Everyday would be a battle.

When I first started out I couldn't jog for more than a minute without being absolutely winded. I started by walking. The brisk walking. I wasn't sure what my goal was except that I wanted to be able to get to a point I could run around the park at least for a round WITHOUT stopping and WITHOUT getting winded. I downloaded an app to help me with the timing (interval running app - C25K, couch to 5k) and I repeated the weeks as needed if it was going too fast for me.

It took consistency - running 4 days a week. At the beginning it was a struggle to just get up and go out. Laziness, weather, depression, work, school - everything was a reason. Then I just made it a mini goal to get up, and just go out for a stroll AT LEAST even if I didn't want to run, just to take me out of the house and build the habit of waking up and going out for fitness.

Gradually over a year or so later I'm running 4-6 miles a day (depending on my mood) at the crack of dawn because I've actually developed an enjoyment of doing so - the air, the smells, the sights, the jog helps me clear my mind, and I don't even have to force myself. If I don't feel like to run, I just do a nice, easy, steady jog.

And this is the view I reward myself with: b2hytci1qtcl.jpg

Followed by a full-bodied, super strong Vietnamese coffee (I love kaapi too, but I couldn't find it near where I live) which I recently discovered is as delicious as a good Italian espresso. (SCANDALOUS!)

qqfs3431i1r9.png
    (This coffee one isn't mine haha but not much too different from how I have it - enjoying the warm morning sun on the porch with the sounds and smell of morning after a fresh shower and endorphins from the workout)
    Woaah!! This is so inspiring to see that you get there with time and work.Thank you for sharing your story.Hopefully I will get there too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Interesting question, especially coming from someone whose food diary shows a whole bunch of days with only just over 1000 calories logged...

I don't always log everything, and I try to keep about 500 calories for grazing.

But if you look at my weight loss you will see about a pound per week loss over the past 7 months.

I just don't understand people who don't log everything they eat. Must be laziness.

531043ryr4zhuaoi.gif

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.

No,no.... you never said they were doing anything wrong. You just called them lazy. That totally implies that you think they're doing something right. *eyeroll*

And you weren't "merely asking a question". You were judging.

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Why are you twisting my words?
  • bhanvi
    Options
    I dont know why my replies aren't showing up but thank you to everyone who encouraged me with their success story.It was very inspiring to see that things will get better.Thank you so much all of you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

You should be proud of yourself for coming such a long way. However...

One's pride in themselves should not come at the expense of others.

Both you and the OP have accomplished so much. Why use those accomplishments to belittle others?

Very nicely said.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Now, I can walk 3 miles at a zone 2/3 cardio pace, and ride my bike 10 miles at a zone 3/4 cardio pace without any trouble.

That's a good start.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.

No,no.... you never said they were doing anything wrong. You just called them lazy. That totally implies that you think they're doing something right. *eyeroll*

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

In this case, how is saying that someone not exercising seems lazy not infer that you think they are lazy since they aren't including it?

This is not a case of reading comprehension failure or reading into a situation that isn't there.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

You are amazing, and thank you.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Give me a break. You're splitting hairs and you know it.

Now go log your food, because it's lazy not to. Not calling you lazy, though.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

"it just seems like laziness to me"

So saying not exercising seems like laziness to me is not calling people who don't exercise lazy.

Got it.

It just seems like stupidity to me when people make blanket statements about exercise.
  • Machka9
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I dont know why my replies aren't showing up but thank you to everyone who encouraged me with their success story.It was very inspiring to see that things will get better.Thank you so much all of you.

:)

I've had to build up from a practically non-existent fitness level after being hospitalised for 2 weeks with DVT (deep vein thrombosis), so I have an idea what it is like to see others doing so much, but meanwhile I'm having trouble walking around the block.

It is just a matter of sticking to it, not going too hard, and gradually increasing.

(Oh, and I think your replies are showing up, they are just appearing within the quoted section. Next time you reply, look for the ..... [ / quote ] ..... and type your response after it. :)

This discussion has been closed.