Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.

No,no.... you never said they were doing anything wrong. You just called them lazy. That totally implies that you think they're doing something right. *eyeroll*

And you weren't "merely asking a question". You were judging.

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Why are you twisting my words?

"it just seems like laziness to me"

So saying not exercising seems like laziness to me is not calling people who don't exercise lazy.

Got it.

It just seems like stupidity to me when people make blanket statements about exercise.

Yes, it seems completely smug and ignorant to me when people can only see their way of doing things, and can't open their minds an inch to think that there might be other ways.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    @bcalvanese Why are you so concerned with whether or not a person exercises while losing weight?

This will not end well.

Especially once it became clear OP is a recent convert...

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.

No,no.... you never said they were doing anything wrong. You just called them lazy. That totally implies that you think they're doing something right. *eyeroll*

And you weren't "merely asking a question". You were judging.

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

That *is* calling people lazy.

Ain't nobody twisting nothing. Own up to what you said....
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My question is: Why must some of you be so dang nasty? The lady asked a question, wanted an answer. She got some great answers and some really crappy replies. It's your right to be a total butt, but why? 'nuff said.
    As for me - I exercise a minimum 4 days a week. It took me some time to get there, as I was so out of shape and overweight, it was hard to get off the proverbial couch! The other 3 days, I am usually doing something active but not necessarily a formal exercise. Yes, it is difficult. But like all other things in life, you have to want to do it. If it's not your 'thing,' then don't do it! I recommend exercising though because it raises your serotonin levels and makes you feel better about just about everything! Good luck to you!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Anniepi66 wrote: »
    My question is: Why must some of you be so dang nasty? The lady asked a question, wanted an answer. She got some great answers and some really crappy replies. It's your right to be a total butt, but why? 'nuff said.

Seriously?

If the OP had just said, "Why do people choose to count calories and not exercise?" I don't think the thread would've gone awry like it has.

It was the smug, judgmental attitude of "Seems like laziness" that got everyone's back up. And rightfully so, IMO.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    As for me - I exercise a minimum 4 days a week. It took me some time to get there, as I was so out of shape and overweight, it was hard to get off the proverbial couch! The other 3 days, I am usually doing something active but not necessarily a formal exercise. Yes, it is difficult. But like all other things in life, you have to want to do it. If it's not your 'thing,' then don't do it! I recommend exercising though because it raises your serotonin levels and makes you feel better about just about everything! Good luck to you!

Ask a nasty question-get some unhappy answers. Such is life
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

resized_white-knight-meme-generator-suddenly-a-wild-white-knight-appears-05e041.jpg

Some people are "so dang nasty" because OP inferred they are lazy for not exercising. I'd be up in arms, too, but I'm too lazy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Ask a nasty question-get some unhappy answers. Such is life

I've been trying to figure out how to respond and this pretty much sums it up.

Seriously?

If the OP had just said, "Why do people choose to count calories and not exercise?" I don't think the thread would've gone awry like it has.

It was the smug, judgmental attitude of "Seems like laziness" that got everyone's back up. And rightfully so, IMO.

And this too.

Also, OP is a he.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Well that lady is actually a middle aged man, and is on here being quite rude to people whom he has no clue about. So what if someone has different goals than he does? My goal in the beginning was to not NOT get put on Metformin, and controlling my diet to lose weight worked for me. And by the OP's broad little view I'm lazy for not exercising. Bluntly put, he can suck it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Who are you to decide how people should answer something? Who made you the judge to decide whether a response is great or crappy?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Ever hear the idiom "You can't out exercise a bad diet"? Ultimately weight loss or gain is determined by caloric intake. Exercise helps but it still comes back to calories. Reason you're losing is because walking is creating a caloric deficit.

Exercise IMO is the most important thing a person can do to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Good nutrition helps.

I think you got it backwards.

You have it backwards.

Calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise for health.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Me? I think it is nasty to call or even imply that someone is lazy or has a moral failing because they don't choose to workout. Different strokes.

I earn exercise calories by judging others. That way, my lazy *kitten* doesn't have to leave the couch. If that's a moral failing, I'm happy to own it.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Ever hear the idiom "You can't out exercise a bad diet"? Ultimately weight loss or gain is determined by caloric intake. Exercise helps but it still comes back to calories. Reason you're losing is because walking is creating a caloric deficit.

Exercise IMO is the most important thing a person can do to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Good nutrition helps.

You have it backwards.

There is a mounting mountain of evidence that the best way to actually stick to a long term caloric deficit is to incorporate exercise.

It's certainly the case for me, and many others on MFP.

But everybody has to find their own path! :drinker:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Extroverts...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,164 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

You have it backwards.

There is a mounting mountain of evidence that the best way to actually stick to a long term caloric deficit is to incorporate exercise.

It's certainly the case for me, and many others on MFP.

It has been the case for me as well.

I spent over 3 decades at an ideal weight and not even remotely concerned about what I ate ... because I exercised a lot.

As I mentioned in a previous post here (back on page 3), I can lose the weight without much exercise, but exercise certainly seems to be the way to keep it off ... and exercise makes losing weight so much easier and more enjoyable. :)

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Why don't you worry about your own journey first. What other people do shouldn't be any concern of yours.[/quote]

This!!!
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options

It seems like you were calling people lazy to me which is why you are getting negative responses. You need to be a grownup and own the things you say.

I'm a 57 year old woman and I lost 60 pounds with almost no exercise. I just watched my calories. The reason I did not exercise is...none of your business.

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    faithyang wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Well there are a lot of reasons.

Everyone's situation and life circumstances are different.Sometimes it can be as strange as cultural reasons. For example in Japan exercise is not a norm and women there attain their frames by rigid portion control, the typical diet fads, or just the culture of the way food is eaten there makes it a little more difficult to have your weight out of control. Plus there seems to be the underlying thinking that exercise "bulks" you up and "softness" and "womanliness" is seen as feminine rather than being toned.

Assuming you have a 9-5 job somewhere like most people do, I could be a business owner and look at you and say, "Why? Why put yourself through wage slavery tolling for 9-5, your only hope of a raise or a promotion on the whims of some manager who may or may not "deserve" to be there because they didn't "work as hard as you/everyone else" or had an extra piece of qualification or had daddy's connection or whatever. Why be a slave to the wages making SOMEONE ELSE money, paying off a dead-end mortgage or rent or whatever?"

Everyone does what works for them at the time. It may not be the "best" or most "ideal" scenario for them from your point of view, but life as a journey is different for everyone and it's up to every individual to work out what's best for themselves - provided they are not selfishly affecting/exploiting the people around them by their actions.

Weight CAN be lost without exercise yes, and if it works for them why do you feel the need to judge?

You type fast.

*chortle*

I just 'talk' too much lol! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.