Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.
    Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

I've bolded the parts of your OP that imply that what we are doing is wrong. Notice how it's pretty much the whole post...

FYI: Lazy people aren't people who sit around obsessing over food all the time because they didn't earn more food through exercise. The mind and body adapt quite well to changes in eating habits. We also don't feel crappy while sitting around on our lazy butts. We feel fine, and we are perfectly nourished if we're following an eating regimen that fits our lifestyle. I don't know where you got the idea that these things are true, but please stop making assumptions and judgements about people who don't live your lifestyle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Ever hear the idiom "You can't out exercise a bad diet"? Ultimately weight loss or gain is determined by caloric intake. Exercise helps but it still comes back to calories. Reason you're losing is because walking is creating a caloric deficit.

Exercise IMO is the most important thing a person can do to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Good nutrition helps.

I think you got it backwards.

No way! I could exercise 8 hours a day and still be overweight if I'm eating too much
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Well, aren't you amazing?! Congrats on being so perfect from Day One of your weight loss journey!

Some of us mere mortals take things slowly, working on one thing (say, logging all we eat), and when that gets comfortable, adding another (weighing/measuring food) and when that feels good, adding another (exercise).

But you know, I guess because some people don't do it the way you do it, they're doing it wrong.

Damn right I'm amazing!

And I'll tell you why...

Because I'm a 57 year old man with COPD, minor heart issues, and blood clot issues, who has had major surgery for internal injuries from an auto accident when I was in my 30's, have had major surgery to have about a foot of my colon removed due to diverticulitis, and who couldn't even walk up 2 flights of stairs without getting winded 7 months ago.

Now, I can walk 3 miles at a zone 2/3 cardio pace, and ride my bike 10 miles at a zone 3/4 cardio pace without any trouble.

I think that is pretty freaking amazing.

Do you think I was able to do that by dieting alone?

No... I got my lazy butt up and started doing it, and yes... I am taking it slowly. my goal is 1 pound per week, and I have lost close to 35 pounds so far, and have absolutely no doubt that I will loose the other 40 pounds to reach my goal of 150 pounds within the next year. And by then I hope to be able to walk 5 miles or more, and ride my bike 20 miles or more.

I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.
    Look, you've been through a lot and have a lot to be proud of, but that doesn't mean you should go around deciding that other people's ways of doing things are worse than yours and then asking why they aren't as awesome as you are.

You're no more amazing than anyone else. I had surgeries, too. That doesn't mean you should swim like I do.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    People have different attitudes and goals.

"Skinny fat" is my goal. I don't like being outside. I don't like exercising. I would like to get my doctor off my back about my weight and fit into an airplane seat comfortably.

If you want to exercise that's great. Feel free. However, I'm thrilled to have found a workable plan where I'm losing weight but I'm not hungry. MFP gives me a way to easily track my food intake and it's working for me.

I see this as a moral failing.

I've been thinking about why. I guess it looks like giving up. I have a very damaged body and I have had long periods of my life when I was absolutely unable to exercise. For me, being able to move again is a gift and I can't imagine just throwing that away like a piece of trash. I've fought so hard to get back to where I am athletically that I can't relate to the desire to sit like a bump on a log on purpose.

It's your life though, so whatever works for you! I imagine that if your doctor knew about how little you move, s/he would get on you about that too.

I want to be the 80-year-old who is still vital, dynamic and out on the dance floor, so I will keep on moving.

You are incredibly judgmental and passive aggressive. That's not actually an Olympic Sport - so maybe you should stop practicing.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

"Skinny fat" is my goal. I don't like being outside. I don't like exercising. I would like to get my doctor off my back about my weight and fit into an airplane seat comfortably.

If you want to exercise that's great. Feel free. However, I'm thrilled to have found a workable plan where I'm losing weight but I'm not hungry. MFP gives me a way to easily track my food intake and it's working for me.

I've been thinking about why. I guess it looks like giving up. I have a very damaged body and I have had long periods of my life when I was absolutely unable to exercise. For me, being able to move again is a gift and I can't imagine just throwing that away like a piece of trash. I've fought so hard to get back to where I am athletically that I can't relate to the desire to sit like a bump on a log on purpose.

It's your life though, so whatever works for you! I imagine that if your doctor knew about how little you move, s/he would get on you about that too.

I want to be the 80-year-old who is still vital, dynamic and out on the dance floor, so I will keep on moving.

OMG...a moral failing? REALLY?

How's the view from that ivory tower of yours?

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Ever hear the idiom "You can't out exercise a bad diet"? Ultimately weight loss or gain is determined by caloric intake. Exercise helps but it still comes back to calories. Reason you're losing is because walking is creating a caloric deficit.

Exercise IMO is the most important thing a person can do to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Good nutrition helps.

I think you got it backwards.

Someone who overeats enough to gain weight or maintain an unhealthy weight, unless they're just over the line into overweight, will likely never be able to exercise away the excess food intake to get down to a healthy weight. At 250 lbs, I was eating enough to eventually get to 300 lbs. It would have been impossible for me to exercise that away.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Wow-people that don't choose to exercise are lazy, immoral and treat their body like a piece of trash. But no judgement bc everyone is careful to say "no offense" and use lots of "!!!!"
    This is why I MFP
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well, aren't you amazing?! Congrats on being so perfect from Day One of your weight loss journey!

Some of us mere mortals take things slowly, working on one thing (say, logging all we eat), and when that gets comfortable, adding another (weighing/measuring food) and when that feels good, adding another (exercise).

But you know, I guess because some people don't do it the way you do it, they're doing it wrong.

Damn right I'm amazing!

And I'll tell you why...

Because I'm a 57 year old man with COPD, minor heart issues, and blood clot issues, who has had major surgery for internal injuries from an auto accident when I was in my 30's, have had major surgery to have about a foot of my colon removed due to diverticulitis, and who couldn't even walk up 2 flights of stairs without getting winded 7 months ago.

Now, I can walk 3 miles at a zone 2/3 cardio pace, and ride my bike 10 miles at a zone 3/4 cardio pace without any trouble.

No... I got my lazy butt up and started doing it, and yes... I am taking it slowly. my goal is 1 pound per week, and I have lost close to 35 pounds so far, and have absolutely no doubt that I will loose the other 40 pounds to reach my goal of 150 pounds within the next year. And by then I hope to be able to walk 5 miles or more, and ride my bike 20 miles or more.

I will start by saying...good job on making so many health improvements.

As to the bolded...

In essence you did say people were doing it wrong and you didn't merely ask a question.

Your post sounded very judgemental IMO by the use of the following...

"just seems like laziness to me"

"You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy."

"I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here,"

Then there was the part about being hungry...

I don't exercise so that I can eat more. For me personally I found that method a skewed way of thinking. I found myself looking for ways to burn a few calories so that I could eat something else...it just didn't work for me. It might work for others and if it does then honestly it isn't any of my business.

I believe that one shouldn't exercise just so that they can eat more. I believe one should exercise for health. Diet and exercise both affect your health but one honestly doesn't depend upon the other.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Damn right I'm amazing!

And I'll tell you why...

No you heavily implied that people who weren't exercising were lazy bumps on logs. Then you told us all about how you exercise even though you have all these issues. Which is great. Good for you, but in this context only serves to further imply that you think you're better than people who don't exercise.

500px-Get-off-your-high-horse.jpg
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

You are incredibly judgmental and passive aggressive. That's not actually an Olympic Sport - so maybe you should stop practicing.

I agree. LOL @ "moral failing."
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Interesting question, especially coming from someone whose food diary shows a whole bunch of days with only just over 1000 calories logged...

I don't always log everything, and I try to keep about 500 calories for grazing.

But if you look at my weight loss you will see about a pound per week loss over the past 7 months.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, we get to use having a hunk of colon removed as a badge of honor?! Slap that beyotch on me, because I had 8"-10" removed just 6 months ago.

I've also likely reversed my insulin resistance with my 50 pound loss. Guess what... I did it pretty much on diet alone. And when I do exercise I'm going to do things I enjoy because it makes me feel good, not because I feel it's expected of me or requisite to achieve weight loss.

64a8838c324531d789f7ba0511f1242b.jpg
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Interesting question, especially coming from someone whose food diary shows a whole bunch of days with only just over 1000 calories logged...

I don't always log everything, and I try to keep about 500 calories for grazing.

But if you look at my weight loss you will see about a pound per week loss over the past 7 months.

I just don't understand people who don't log everything they eat. Must be laziness.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I just don't understand people who don't log everything they eat. Must be laziness.

But you know...not to offend, of course (!!!)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

Right. I could have done better in school, gotten a college education, became a doctor, and joined the fight against HIV and cancer, but instead I just got a regular office job like the 5,000-or-so "moral failures" at the company I work for.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

tumblr_mlzbzmjvgj1rat5wpo4_500.gif

I'm only kind of lazy there, as opposed to with exercise where I could medal in laziness. :D
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

You build it up gradually. When I started running I couldn't run a block but now I can run 2 to 3 miles.

How long did it take you?

There is a local park I used to go to where five laps equal a mile. I would walk three miles and then run the last lap. The first time I barely made it. I started this in March. After a while I was able to increase it to two laps, then three and finally I managed to run a full mile. That took me about a month walking every two or three days. I didn't take the running seriously or call myself a runner until the middle of May.
    Woww!!
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

You build it up gradually. When I started running I couldn't run a block but now I can run 2 to 3 miles.

How long did it take you?

There is a local park I used to go to where five laps equal a mile. I would walk three miles and then run the last lap. The first time I barely made it. I started this in March. After a while I was able to increase it to two laps, then three and finally I managed to run a full mile. That took me about a month walking every two or three days. I didn't take the running seriously or call myself a runner until the middle of May.
    Woww!! That is very inspirational.Congratualtions to you. :)

This discussion has been closed.