Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Well, aren't you amazing?! Congrats on being so perfect from Day One of your weight loss journey!

Some of us mere mortals take things slowly, working on one thing (say, logging all we eat), and when that gets comfortable, adding another (weighing/measuring food) and when that feels good, adding another (exercise).

But you know, I guess because some people don't do it the way you do it, they're doing it wrong.

Damn right I'm amazing!

And I'll tell you why...

Because I'm a 57 year old man with COPD, minor heart issues, and blood clot issues, who has had major surgery for internal injuries from an auto accident when I was in my 30's, have had major surgery to have about a foot of my colon removed due to diverticulitis, and who couldn't even walk up 2 flights of stairs without getting winded 7 months ago.

Now, I can walk 3 miles at a zone 2/3 cardio pace, and ride my bike 10 miles at a zone 3/4 cardio pace without any trouble.

I think that is pretty freaking amazing.

Do you think I was able to do that by dieting alone?

No... I got my lazy butt up and started doing it, and yes... I am taking it slowly. my goal is 1 pound per week, and I have lost close to 35 pounds so far, and have absolutely no doubt that I will loose the other 40 pounds to reach my goal of 150 pounds within the next year. And by then I hope to be able to walk 5 miles or more, and ride my bike 20 miles or more.

I never said anyone was doing anything wrong. I merely asked the question of why do some people not include exercise in their weight loss.

Good on you! :smiley:

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Why are you twisting my words?

Give me a break. You're splitting hairs and you know it.

Now go log your food, because it's lazy not to. Not calling you lazy, though.

Yes it is lazy not to always log my food. I eat the same things a lot of the time and know in my head how many calories it is.

And when I said "I am amazing", I only meant it as a strike back at you.

I know I am not amazing. I'm just an old guy trying to lose some weight and get healthier. And I think diet "AND" exercise is the best way to accomplish that for anyone. Not just because it is what I am doing, but because it would work for anyone who can physically do it.

And I see so many posts of people who have been struggling for months, and years, and decades, trying to do it with just calories. and it does seem like laziness to me. If a person is in good physical condition then weight control is not normally an issue. Once a person is over weight, the best thing is to use diet "AND" exercise to lose the weight and get back in shape. This gives a way better chance of maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level.

I didn't really mean the laziness part as an insult, but more of a motivational thing.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I never called anyone lazy. If you actually read my post, I said "that just seems lazy to me", not "they seem lazy to me"

Yes it is lazy not to always log my food. I eat the same things a lot of the time and know in my head how many calories it is.

I know I am not amazing. I'm just an old guy trying to lose some weight and get healthier. And I think diet "AND" exercise is the best way to accomplish that for anyone. Not just because it is what I am doing, but because it would work for anyone who can physically do it.

And I see so many posts of people who have been struggling for months, and years, and decades, trying to do it with just calories. and it does seem like laziness to me. If a person is in good physical condition then weight control is not normally an issue. Once a person is over weight, the best thing is to use diet "AND" exercise to lose the weight and get back in shape. This gives a way better chance of maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level.

I didn't really mean the laziness part as an insult, but more of a motivational thing.

Oh good. More blanket statements about what you feel is best for all the peeples.

Did you not catch the .. Worry about yourself and no one else?

Seriously this is like talking to my children and kids at school ... You need to worry about you and not your neighbors.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I also see tons of people who kill themselves with exercise and struggle. Or, lose weight with tons of exercise then gain it all back because they stop when goal is achieved.
    The key is to finding balance. Each person has their own balance.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Someone calling me lazy only motivates me to flip them off.

How many calories does that burn?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Someone calling me lazy only motivates me to flip them off.

How many calories does that burn?

Enough to have 500 grazing calories easy.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Get off your high horse, people. Whether you exercise or not in not a moral issue. Judging others, calling them lazy, or even bumps on a log, on the other hand is. And even more important it's none of your business. If you are unhappy keep it to yourself. Deal with your life and forget about other people's lifes. If I wanted to hear fanatical preaching I would go to a fundamentalist church.

And for those who say it's a matter of health, both my mom and dad never exercised a day in their lives, and were healthy until their 90s. They just went around their business. And neither of them was a bump on a log. Good enough for me.

I also know people who work out every day and when they visit me in NYC are apalled because they have to walk several blocks. The need their freaking cars!!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I know when people insult me-it's hugely motivational.

FWIW-a lot of people complain of being MORE hungry when they exercise. I know I am-I do it anyway bc I enjoy it but actually find it easier to lose without it. Weight loss is challenging-and a lot of people think the diet is the hard part. Personally, I could exercise all day-but it takes some serious determination to not eat my refrigerator.

I find it incredible to call people losing weight-in any way-lazy. I've never been overweight-what I am losing is vanity weight and has always been. It's inspirational to see and read about people losing lots of weight-some people lose 100's of pounds. To call those people lazy does nothing more than show your extreme ignorance and arrogance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options

:lol:

You don't know too much about motivation, do you. :lol:

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Right, so the laziness thing was motivation? Even though the original post wasn't actually trying to convince anyone to exercise - only a question as to why they don't? I'd like to think at your age OP you'd be able to own your words instead of attempting sophisty and deflection to weasel out of them when they aren't received well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So what was the purpose of this thread OP? To gather all people who don't exercise and then "motivate" them, helping everyone see the light? I don't understand.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This is like saying, "why would anyone get an associates degree. It's just lazy. Why don't you put in the time and effort and get a PhD, all you dumb, stupid people? Really, I'm just asking out of concern. I'm really curious as to what would motivate someone to be so lazy and not bother even attempting to reach higher academically."

People's lives involve more than just diet and exercise. I'm sure if I took a fine tooth comb to your life I may very well find some areas for improvement.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Motivational: I don't think it means what you think it means.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight with zero exercise. I didn't exercise because yes, I was lazy and really don't like exercising.

Now I'm kinda in maintenance, and I've started walking, a lot! I don't mind it, but one of the main reasons I do it is so I can eat more.
    This is me too. I do exercise a little, but I'd rather not lol. Would it make me healthier? I'm sure it would, but losing 123 I'm pretty sure also made me healthier.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Only from when I was in the Army (1983 - 1989), and believe you me... it seemed to work very well there... :D
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do exercise for the longest time because I have a lot of issues with my back. I lost the first 80 pounds with no real exercise, hell I was lucky some days to walk around the house. You CAN lose all your weight without exercise, but you might not like how your skin looks or whatever. Everyone is different.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Only from when I was in the Army (1983 - 1989), and believe you me... it seemed to work very well there... :D

It was a disaster there. The Army significantly changed its initial training procedures in the early 90s because - hey, here's a surprise - it turns out humiliation and shaming really suck as motivational tools when dealing with volunteers who actually have a choice.

It doesn't work well with draftees, either, but the denial of choice tends to mask immediate problems.
This discussion has been closed.