Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    People feel pretty strongly about this issue. I'm actually getting hate messages.

Now this isn't a song I'd personally choose to sing, but to that, I say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    People feel pretty strongly about this issue. I'm actually getting hate messages.

Now I don't feel bad, I only got one message (LMAO)

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    No YUCK
  • tomatoey
    Options

Did you really?? Damn. Sorry!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    No YUCK

Yeah, fair enough, it's more about the lyrics with this one
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    :/
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Found that delete button works wonder, may have to try out that block button one of these days (LOL)

• newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    its extremely rude and annoying. if your that bored and able to sing while exercising then you should consider changing your routine and working a little harder.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Found that delete button works wonder, may have to try out that block button one of these days (LOL)

Yup :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    newfutures wrote: »
    its extremely rude and annoying. if your that bored and able to sing while exercising then you should consider changing your routine and working a little harder.

As I have explained, several times, and indeed in the original post, I am not able to do any other routine because I am doing rehab.

I think I have also said, several times, that I have heard and understood those of you who are extremely bothered by any kind of singing or humming or grunting or talking.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Thanks to those who read the question and answered honestly.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I would find it irritating if someone were singing at the gym, no matter how good of a voice they have.
  • lesslerz2014
    lesslerz2014 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would literally not care lmao. I'd be thinking "Yeah man that's what I wanna do too!!" but I can't sing at all haha, but I use a lot of self-control not singing while listening to music. I wouldn't care basically and would probably smile at you for being confident with your voice.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's a better song for you Tomatoey:

ETA: Well, that did not work! I was going to suggest Hang on Little Tomato by Pink Martini. :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Here's a better song for you Tomatoey:

ETA: Well, that did not work! I was going to suggest Hang on Little Tomato by Pink Martini. :)

Love it! <3 Thanks :)

I would literally not care lmao. I'd be thinking "Yeah man that's what I wanna do too!!" but I can't sing at all haha, but I use a lot of self-control not singing while listening to music. I wouldn't care basically and would probably smile at you for being confident with your voice.

Aw, that's sweet :)

I bet you *can* sing, everyone can :) (just, only in certain places, it seems ;) )
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb, treat the gym like a library, get in get out with out bothering others.

It is a place of business, not a club to pick up people, nor a place to socialize. It is also not a karoake bar.

Mild socialization is always welcome.

Treat people with courtesy and respect.

Annoying gum chewing, singing, weight slamming, all of that is tackless and considered poor manners, but you do you we will just ignore you and judge you silently.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks billieljaime!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when there is a spin or zumba, or any other class where they play music loud?

That I don't mind.

But what can be annoying is when there's a class, and they've got their music going ... and out in the cardio area they've got different music going ... and then there's a person singing along with their music ...

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Some people react more strongly to environmental stimuli than others. I get easily overwhelmed by sensory input, and while I can tune out occasional noises (coughing, grunting with a difficult effort), a continual low-level noise (like hearing the off-tune noise from someone's earbuds, or singing or humming, or a one-sided phone conversation) can very quickly become almost intolerable. I get that many people can tune it out, but not everyone *can*. I pick gyms that do not play music, do not have TV on in the background, for this very reason. Thus, anyone who then comes in and sings/talks on the phone/blasts music on their headphones so loud that others can hear it is especially bothersome.

Perhaps a factor that is not being fully explored here is gym atmosphere. Those who have chosen to join and continue to go to a gym that has a lot of background sounds may be more receptive to others' incidental noise than those who . . . chose to go to gyms that default to quiet.

Yes ... I'm one who finds noise jarring and overwhelming. I like silence ... or if there is noise, just one thing at a time. Like one piece of music playing, rather than the TV going, music playing, loud conversation, etc. etc. all at the same time.

My most recent gym was a quiet one. The classes did play music, but you could barely hear it when they shut the door. The main area did play music, but very quietly. And so I would get onto the treadmill with my earbuds in and watch a TV show while walking/running ... and happily, I couldn't hear anything but the TV show. :)

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

@ScubaSteve1962
    LOL!
    I was going to make a joke earlier that you were taking this topic way too seriously. Apparently I was wrong and there are others taking it more so.

For the record, I did not message either of them.
This discussion has been closed.