I gain weight so easily! He,p! I don't get it!

Hi everyone! So I just returned from a week long trip to Maine and was surprised when I got on the scale: I had gained 5 pounds! In one week! Now before you start thinking, it was vacation and it happens, I watched what I ate the whole time and exercised daily. My first day gone, I chose steel-cut oatmeal at the airport instead of the yummy breakfast sandwich with avocado. When I got to my destination, I went by the health food store and stocked up on good-for-me foods like fruit and vegetables. Every morning I started with a healthy breakfast of fresh blueberries, granola, and yogurt, and cooked most of my dinners (which I aimed to keep under 500 calories) as well. For lunch I let myself splurge a little it was vacation after all) and ate lobster, or crab rolls, or clams, but I was also exercising every day: hiking up to 3 miles or yoga. I wasn't able to track my meals on MFP, because I didn't have service on my phone, but I don't think it would have added up to the shocking weight gain I experienced. I know weights fluctuate, but this doesn't make any sense. I'm frustrated and really disappointed. I'm angry at my body for "not being like other peoples' " As part of my weight loss, I'm trying to practice compassion for myself and balance in everything I do, although that can be hard at times like this. I honestly wonder if there is an imbalance in my body that needs to be addressed medically. I know that with a hypo-thyroid you can gain weight, but I've been checked for that, and don't have any of the other symptoms that go along with it. Any other ideas? (Thanks for reading my rambling post! I really needed to get it out :tired_face::smile: )

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Does this happen when you are at home weighing and logging your food?

I'm guessing not, also a persons weight fluctuates by up to 5lbs.

It was a holiday - you were not weighting and logging everything and eyeballing isn't accurate. Relax, some will be water weight - and the rest will come off when you get back to normal.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Flying can give me several pounds of water weight. Give it a few days and weigh again.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I lost 3 pounds water weight from one day to the other. 5 pound water gain that's gonna be gone again next week isn't unheard of.
  • Iron_Feline
    Also was the oatmeal labelled with calories - because just because it sounds healthy doesn't mean it's not loaded with cals.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Eating "healthy" doesn't mean you won't gain weight or that it's not loaded with calories. If you weren't weighing everything with a scale you could have eaten more than you realize. That said, it could be water weight.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Does this happen when you are at home weighing and logging your food?

I'm guessing not, also a persons weight fluctuates by up to 5lbs.

It was a holiday - you were not weighting and logging everything and eyeballing isn't accurate. Relax, some will be water weight - and the rest will come off when you get back to normal.

Yep, exactly this^^^.
    Just continue logging as normal and by the time your next weigh in comes around, you'll be fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    light weight...I gained 7 in Jamaica when I was there for a week...

but lost 4 almost immediately (within 5 days)

I suspect half is at least water weight...no worries.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.

Whaaaaaat? You can gain weight eating too few kcal? What magic is this?!?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Hi everyone! So I just returned from a week long trip to Maine and was surprised when I got on the scale: I had gained 5 pounds! In one week! Now before you start thinking, it was vacation and it happens, I watched what I ate the whole time and exercised daily. My first day gone, I chose steel-cut oatmeal at the airport instead of the yummy breakfast sandwich with avocado. When I got to my destination, I went by the health food store and stocked up on good-for-me foods like fruit and vegetables. Every morning I started with a healthy breakfast of fresh blueberries, granola, and yogurt, and cooked most of my dinners (which I aimed to keep under 500 calories) as well. For lunch I let myself splurge a little it was vacation after all) and ate lobster, or crab rolls, or clams, but I was also exercising every day: hiking up to 3 miles or yoga. I wasn't able to track my meals on MFP, because I didn't have service on my phone, but I don't think it would have added up to the shocking weight gain I experienced. I know weights fluctuate, but this doesn't make any sense. I'm frustrated and really disappointed. I'm angry at my body for "not being like other peoples' " As part of my weight loss, I'm trying to practice compassion for myself and balance in everything I do, although that can be hard at times like this. I honestly wonder if there is an imbalance in my body that needs to be addressed medically. I know that with a hypo-thyroid you can gain weight, but I've been checked for that, and don't have any of the other symptoms that go along with it. Any other ideas? (Thanks for reading my rambling post! I really needed to get it out :tired_face::smile: )

I'm sorry to say - it was vacation, and it happens - which is exactly what you didn't want to hear.

I completely believe that you were as dilligent in logging as you were at home. But you weren't at home, and there are aspects and variables of travel that can play with your system and affect your weight.

I can gain 5 lbs of water just from an airplane ride if it's more than a short jaunt.

Maybe you ate more sodium in Maine. Did you fill up your allotment with regional food that you don't normally enjoy? This will still have a significant impact.
  • francescabeaverhousen
    francescabeaverhousen Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's hard to eat exactly when you're travelling. I realize certain things may have hidden calories, but in general, I know picking somethings like oatmeal over a bacon, egg, and cheese panini (which I really wanted!) are small wins that I hoped would add up. It makes sense it would be water weight from flying as I am feeling a little puffy today. All of your responses really made me feel better and were very encouraging! Thanks!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

I guess the same magic that requires one to drink a GALLON of water. :tongue:
  • Iron_Feline
    maidentl wrote: »

I guess the same magic that requires one to drink a GALLON of water. :tongue:

Yeah - 1/2 a gallon is plenty for most people.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Eating "healthy" doesn't mean you won't gain weight or that it's not loaded with calories. If you weren't weighing everything with a scale you could have eaten more than you realize. That said, it could be water weight.

This. Granola has tons of calories. Eating with with fruit and yogurt adds even more. Did you eat that crab with melted butter? Tons of calories. Did the crab roll have mayo? Calories. Also, hiking for three miles only burns around 250 calories, depending on how fast you were going and if you were going uphill or not. You were simply eating more than you were burning, most likely combined with water weight. My guess is that at least 2-3 pounds will come off in the next few days from water and that you're only really up by 2-3 pounds.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    I love granola, but it has tons of calories. If you're not careful with the serving size, it can quickly get out of control
  • francescabeaverhousen
    francescabeaverhousen Posts: 17 Member
    whmscll wrote: »

This. Granola has tons of calories. Eating with with fruit and yogurt adds even more. Did you eat that crab with melted butter? Tons of calories. Did the crab roll have mayo? Calories. Also, hiking for three miles only burns around 250 calories, depending on how fast you were going and if you were going uphill or not. You were simply eating more than you were burning, most likely combined with water weight. My guess is that at least 2-3 pounds will come off in the next few days from water and that you're only really up by 2-3 pounds.

Of course I wasn't perfect, and I didn't expect to lose weight on vacation, was just surprised it was so much! As I said, I know there are hidden calories everywhere, and I'm not new to this. A quarter cup of granola has 115 calories and with half a cup of Greek yogurt at 85 calories and half a cup of blueberries at 45 calories, this is a perfectly acceptable breakfast. Combine that with a 500 calorie dinner, and a plum (40 calories) for a snack. I'm at 785 calories. Hiking, cross country not even uphill, for just an hour at my weight burns 749 calories, so we'll just cancel those out. My BMR is 2025. One pound is equal to 3500 calories which averages out to about 2542.8 calories EXTRA I would have needed to eat per day to gain 5 pounds in 1 week. Combined with my BMR, this means I would have had to eat 5317 calories a day. A typical lobster roll with mayo has around 600 calories so I would have had to eat almost NINE lobster rolls a day (on top of my granola breakfast and 500 calorie dinner) to have gained that much weight. Yes, water weight does make sense, and I really do appreciate all the positive comments sent my way :smiley:
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member

Of course I wasn't perfect, and I didn't expect to lose weight on vacation, was just surprised it was so much! As I said, I know there are hidden calories everywhere, and I'm not new to this. A quarter cup of granola has 115 calories and with half a cup of Greek yogurt at 85 calories and half a cup of blueberries at 45 calories, this is a perfectly acceptable breakfast. Combine that with a 500 calorie dinner, and a plum (40 calories) for a snack. I'm at 785 calories. Hiking, cross country not even uphill, for just an hour at my weight burns 749 calories, so we'll just cancel those out. My BMR is 2025. One pound is equal to 3500 calories which averages out to about 2542.8 calories EXTRA I would have needed to eat per day to gain 5 pounds in 1 week. Combined with my BMR, this means I would have had to eat 5317 calories a day. A typical lobster roll with mayo has around 600 calories so I would have had to eat almost NINE lobster rolls a day (on top of my granola breakfast and 500 calorie dinner) to have gained that much weight. Yes, water weight does make sense, and I really do appreciate all the positive comments sent my way :smiley:

Are you just answering your own questions now? If you know all this already, that you couldn't have gained all this weight realistically, then you know it's probably just water weight.

I understand that you're frustrated, but people are just trying to help and if you know all the answers, why post?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015

ah actually granola has probably a lot more calories than that...you would have to weigh it to be sure.

100 grams of my greek yogurt has 100...which is about 1/2cup...depends on MF%

blueberries...again weight not volume

plum how big?

Hiking for an hour does not burn that almost 800 calories esp no hills....I have to run 3/4hour to get that burn. MFP over estimates a lot.

and your BMR is not 2025...no way no how. I think you have that confused with TDEE.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member

How much do you weigh? Could it be that burn amount is inflated?
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    I agree that a lot of it can be water weight and sneaky cals that seem healthy (granola/oatmeal) either way, it will come off :-) just don't get discouraged and keep working at it. 5 lbs might just be the price to pay for an awesome vacation. when I went to Washington last year I gained 9 lbs in a week. I wasnt careful though lol. just don't beat yourself up!