I gain weight so easily! He,p! I don't get it!

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    robper13 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.

Whaaaaaat? You can gain weight eating too few kcal? What magic is this?!?

Not sure if you can gain weight, but you won't lose any weight if you don't eat as much calories as you burn throughout the day. Your body will go into fat storing mode. I didn't know about resting calorie burn until about two months ago. I didn't realize how much calories i burned just while sleeping, etc. figure out your BMR, then determine your activity level and how much your active burn calories are. Total those up and then subtract 500 calories for 1 pound weight loss or 1000 calories for 2 pound weight less. Whatever is left is what you eat per day to lose weight. Has worked for me the last month i started tracking through MFP. I weighed 210 when i started 5 weeks ago, as of Monday i weighed 199.2. I put my goal in MFP to lose 1.5 to 2pounds per week. It gives me my daily calorie intake to lose that weight. Ive done it and it has worked. Whatever calories i burn through exercise, i can just add to my daily calorie amount. Check it out. Here is a link to the resting calorie burn (BMR) calculator. My UP band also shows me my BMR, which is very close to what the calculator shows for my ht/wt/age. http://www.quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results
    I think this is not accurate. You get fat from eating too many calories, not too few (assuming that's what you are opining).

Not quite sure i am saying it correctly. If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it's starving and it goes into fat storing mode or something like that, and you might not lose any weight initially. Eventually you will lose weight though. But who wants to starve.
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.

Not sure if you can gain weight, but you won't lose any weight if you don't eat as much calories as you burn throughout the day. Your body will go into fat storing mode. I didn't know about resting calorie burn until about two months ago. I didn't realize how much calories i burned just while sleeping, etc. figure out your BMR, then determine your activity level and how much your active burn calories are. Total those up and then subtract 500 calories for 1 pound weight loss or 1000 calories for 2 pound weight less. Whatever is left is what you eat per day to lose weight. Has worked for me the last month i started tracking through MFP. I weighed 210 when i started 5 weeks ago, as of Monday i weighed 199.2. I put my goal in MFP to lose 1.5 to 2pounds per week. It gives me my daily calorie intake to lose that weight. Ive done it and it has worked. Whatever calories i burn through exercise, i can just add to my daily calorie amount. Check it out. Here is a link to the resting calorie burn (BMR) calculator. My UP band also shows me my BMR, which is very close to what the calculator shows for my ht/wt/age. http://www.quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results

Thank you for linking to a calculator that in no way, shape or form backs up your claims.

I suggest reading this before you do anymore "research"
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/evaluatinghealthinformation.html

When you're through with that this list of diet myths helps
    http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/myths/Pages/weight-loss-and-nutrition-myths.aspx
  • robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Well, maybe i didn't quite say it correctly but it is working for me. The following is sort of what i was trying to say. I was just trying to give some info that worked and is working for me. This is their words, not mine.

"The Promise
    The opposite of those extreme plans that call for fasting, The 3-Hour Diet by fitness expert Jorge Cruise, requires you to eat five times a day, including a tiny dessert. All your favorite foods, including carbs and sweets, are allowed, as long as you eat them on a strict timetable.

Eating small, balanced meals every 3 hours boosts your body’s fat-burning potential, Cruise says.

If you don’t eat often enough, he explains, your body goes into “starvation protection” mode, conserving calories, storing fat, and burning muscle (not fat) for energy. Cruise says that if you eat every 3 hours, you repeatedly reset your metabolism so it stays in high gear, and you burn fat all day long.

His rules around meal timing are:

Eat breakfast within 1 hour of rising.
    Eat every 3 hours after that.
    Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.
    The fourth rule: Stick to the recommended portion sizes. Meals should average 400 calories; snacks, 100 calories; and dessert, 50 calories (like a Reese’s Mini), for a total of about 1,450 calories a day.

The result: He says you’ll drop up to 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and 2 pounds a week after that, without losing any fat-burning muscle tissue."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Well, maybe i didn't quite say it correctly but it is working for me. The following is sort of what i was trying to say. I was just trying to give some info that worked and is working for me. This is their words, not mine.

"The Promise
    The opposite of those extreme plans that call for fasting, The 3-Hour Diet by fitness expert Jorge Cruise, requires you to eat five times a day, including a tiny dessert. All your favorite foods, including carbs and sweets, are allowed, as long as you eat them on a strict timetable.

Eating small, balanced meals every 3 hours boosts your body’s fat-burning potential, Cruise says.

If you don’t eat often enough, he explains, your body goes into “starvation protection” mode, conserving calories, storing fat, and burning muscle (not fat) for energy. Cruise says that if you eat every 3 hours, you repeatedly reset your metabolism so it stays in high gear, and you burn fat all day long.

His rules around meal timing are:

Eat breakfast within 1 hour of rising.
    Eat every 3 hours after that.
    Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.
    The fourth rule: Stick to the recommended portion sizes. Meals should average 400 calories; snacks, 100 calories; and dessert, 50 calories (like a Reese’s Mini), for a total of about 1,450 calories a day.

The result: He says you’ll drop up to 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and 2 pounds a week after that, without losing any fat-burning muscle tissue."

oh LORDY
  • robper13
    Actually i follow Robert Ferguson diet free life which is similar to the above info. eating every 2-3 hours. Whether its a scam or a myth or whatever, it is the only "diet" program that has worked for me. i do exercise as well. I don't give up carbs and i eat some sweets. Just eat the right combinations. Just was trying to help thats all.
  • arditarose
    Actually i follow Robert Ferguson diet free life which is similar to the above info. eating every 2-3 hours. Whether its a scam or a myth or whatever, it is the only "diet" program that has worked for me. i do exercise as well. I don't give up carbs and i eat some sweets. Just eat the right combinations. Just was trying to help thats all.

Well you somehow put yourself into a calorie deficit with these programs. That's what it's all about. It's not so helpful to new people coming to this site to count their calories.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    theportkey wrote: »
    I can gain up to 6Lbs in weight without trying. This is mainly due to water retention... So this can vary to the size you are. If I drive a long distance POW! Water on me kankles lol
    Don't fret about it and just continue as you have been. <3
    Same here. I think this is true of most people. I usually gain 2 or 3 pounds of water weight after a salty meal, but once gained around 7 pounds.

@robper13 -- Starvation Mode is just a widely believed myth. If you consistently eat at a deficit you will eventually start losing weight.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • robper13
    I can gain up to 6Lbs in weight without trying. This is mainly due to water retention... So this can vary to the size you are. If I drive a long distance POW! Water on me kankles lol
    Same here. I think this is true of most people. I usually gain 2 or 3 pounds of water weight after a salty meal, but once gained around 7 pounds.

@robper13 -- Starvation Mode is just a widely believed myth. If you consistently eat at a deficit you will eventually start losing weight.

I guess i'm a sucker to have believed that...lol. Well, whatever i'm doing is working. I am eating at a deficit which explains it all. Thanks for opening my eyes.
  • robper13

arditarose wrote: »

Well you somehow put yourself into a calorie deficit with these programs. That's what it's all about. It's not so helpful to new people coming to this site to count their calories.

I guess i'm a sucker to have believed that myth about "starvation" mode. Well, whatever i'm doing is working. I am eating at a deficit which explains it all. Thanks. I guess i'm done contributing on this subject.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member

I guess i'm a sucker to have believed that myth about "starvation" mode. Well, whatever i'm doing is working. I am eating at a deficit which explains it all. Thanks. I guess i'm done contributing on this subject.

No, you aren't a sucker. I believed in it, too, until I started lurking at MFP. It's just one of those myths that won't seem to die.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member

I agree that the posted "plan" is nonsense, but not everyone uses MFP to count calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

I think this is not accurate. You get fat from eating too many calories, not too few (assuming that's what you are opining).

Not quite sure i am saying it correctly. If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it's starving and it goes into fat storing mode or something like that, and you might not lose any weight initially. Eventually you will lose weight though. But who wants to starve.

That is definitely not how it works.
  • francescabeaverhousen
    francescabeaverhousen Posts: 17 Member

@robper13 I've heard that too. You're not crazy. While you will lose weight, I think it's actually just more difficult to lose when you're eating too few calories because your body goes into fat storage mode (over time!). Whether that's true or not, its definitely true that once you start eating again, your body will gain the weight back really quickly because it hoards the fat in preparation for another fast.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member

@robper13 I've heard that too. You're not crazy. While you will lose weight, I think it's actually just more difficult to lose when you're eating too few calories because your body goes into fat storage mode (over time!). Whether that's true or not, its definitely true that once you start eating again, your body will gain the weight back really quickly because it hoards the fat in preparation for another fast.

This is literally of zero concern to anyone here, though.

The amount of time and deprivation this would take isn't typically accomplished on purpose, or outside of crazy lost in the wilderness scenarios.
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    The weight gain 5 lbs could because of water weight. Perhaps you ate more sodium the days before. You should consistently weigh yourself (every morn?). Weight can flux thru out the day. And using the eye ball method to measure can be wildly inaccurate. Remember your body doesn't always distinguish between clean food and dirty food. Any surplus of calories will be converted to fat.
  • francescabeaverhousen

This is literally of zero concern to anyone here, though.

The amount of time and deprivation this would take isn't typically accomplished on purpose, or outside of crazy lost in the wilderness scenarios.

Dude, obviously it's of great concern considering how many people jumped down the guys throat for believing something that is a very common myth. People on here really need to chill out. Just saying.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Dr. Ancel Keys ran some of the most important studies on starvation and metabolism and found many of these common myths such as 'starvation mode' to be untrue. BMR was reduced in the most extreme studies, but only to a very minor degree. Thanks to the recent interest in health much of his research is being revealed and further reviewed. There is no such starvation mode, however there are some who cling to this as an excuse, which is why you see posts with such hostility - either that or people simply are not writing the their reader and don't understand how their posts are being perceived.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's hard to eat exactly when you're travelling. I realize certain things may have hidden calories, but in general, I know picking somethings like oatmeal over a bacon, egg, and cheese panini (which I really wanted!) are small wins that I hoped would add up. It makes sense it would be water weight from flying as I am feeling a little puffy today. All of your responses really made me feel better and were very encouraging! Thanks!

I have to disagree with you here. Why do you think that oatmeal is healthier than eggs and bacon?

Many people feel fuller for longer with protein and fat (bacon egg cheese avocado) vs carbs (oatmeal).

I would have eaten the panini! Perhaps you need to re-evaluate what you think is good and bad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi everyone! So I just returned from a week long trip to Maine and was surprised when I got on the scale: I had gained 5 pounds! In one week! Now before you start thinking, it was vacation and it happens, I watched what I ate the whole time and exercised daily. My first day gone, I chose steel-cut oatmeal at the airport instead of the yummy breakfast sandwich with avocado. When I got to my destination, I went by the health food store and stocked up on good-for-me foods like fruit and vegetables. Every morning I started with a healthy breakfast of fresh blueberries, granola, and yogurt, and cooked most of my dinners (which I aimed to keep under 500 calories) as well. For lunch I let myself splurge a little it was vacation after all) and ate lobster, or crab rolls, or clams, but I was also exercising every day: hiking up to 3 miles or yoga. I wasn't able to track my meals on MFP, because I didn't have service on my phone, but I don't think it would have added up to the shocking weight gain I experienced. I know weights fluctuate, but this doesn't make any sense. I'm frustrated and really disappointed. I'm angry at my body for "not being like other peoples' " As part of my weight loss, I'm trying to practice compassion for myself and balance in everything I do, although that can be hard at times like this. I honestly wonder if there is an imbalance in my body that needs to be addressed medically. I know that with a hypo-thyroid you can gain weight, but I've been checked for that, and don't have any of the other symptoms that go along with it. Any other ideas? (Thanks for reading my rambling post! I really needed to get it out :tired_face::smile: )

body weight isn't static...it fluctuates naturally...I can be up or down 3-5 Lbs day to day from my average. also, i assume you got on an airplane...you know how when you fly your shoes and such get a little tight...well, that' because flying causes bloat...and bloat shows up on the scale.

chill.
  • francescabeaverhousen
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Dr. Ancel Keys ran some of the most important studies on starvation and metabolism and found many of these common myths such as 'starvation mode' to be untrue. BMR was reduced in the most extreme studies, but only to a very minor degree. Thanks to the recent interest in health much of his research is being revealed and further reviewed. There is no such starvation mode, however there are some who cling to this as an excuse, which is why you see posts with such hostility - either that or people simply are not writing the their reader and don't understand how their posts are being perceived.
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! It's hard to eat exactly when you're travelling. I realize certain things may have hidden calories, but in general, I know picking somethings like oatmeal over a bacon, egg, and cheese panini (which I really wanted!) are small wins that I hoped would add up. It makes sense it would be water weight from flying as I am feeling a little puffy today. All of your responses really made me feel better and were very encouraging! Thanks!

I have to disagree with you here. Why do you think that oatmeal is healthier than eggs and bacon?

Many people feel fuller for longer with protein and fat (bacon egg cheese avocado) vs carbs (oatmeal).

I would have eaten the panini! Perhaps you need to re-evaluate what you think is good and bad.

I'm focusing on calorie count and clean eating which makes the oatmeal I wiser choice because of the lower caloric value and whole ingredients. The bacon was likely full of nitrates and the cheese processed whereas the oatmeal's ingredients were simple: oatmeal, dried cranberries, and nuts. Also, while it is important to keep a balance in regards to fat, those fat grams can add up quickly! A sandwich with avocado, whole eggs, AND cheese (plus butter on panini) could have easily had half of the fat intake for the day. Later in the day, I wanted to try my first lobster roll, so I chose to allot my calories/fat towards that rather than waste it on a breakfast sandwich.
  • arditarose
    ASKyle wrote: »

I'm focusing on calorie count and clean eating which makes the oatmeal I wiser choice because of the lower caloric value and whole ingredients. The bacon was likely full of nitrates and the cheese processed whereas the oatmeal's ingredients were simple: oatmeal, dried cranberries, and nuts. Also, while it is important to keep a balance in regards to fat, those fat grams can add up quickly! A sandwich with avocado, whole eggs, AND cheese (plus butter on panini) could have easily had half of the fat intake for the day. Later in the day, I wanted to try my first lobster roll, so I chose to allot my calories/fat towards that rather than waste it on a breakfast sandwich.

Whole/clean or not-I find that some oatmeals dressed with cranberries and nuts can be higher in calorie than an egg sandwich, or half of an egg sandwich with the works.