I gain weight so easily! He,p! I don't get it!

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "I gain weight so easily doing what I'm doing!"

"Have you tried a different method, for instance X?"

"No, my way is better!"
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's a little article for those hung up on starved mode. .

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

@robper13
  • robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here's a little article for those hung up on starved mode. .

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

@robper13

Not hung up on it, just believed the bs. But whatever the case, thinking it was true, i've lost almost 30 pounds. Lol. Nice to eat every 2-3 hours and still lose weight and not be hungry. Its all calorie deficit like everyone says, plus the exercising. I'll take it. Good luck to everyone on here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    @francescabeaverhousen I'm sure this is mostly water weight and you will be pleasantly surprised in a few days :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    robper13 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.

Whaaaaaat? You can gain weight eating too few kcal? What magic is this?!?

Not sure if you can gain weight, but you won't lose any weight if you don't eat as much calories as you burn throughout the day. Your body will go into fat storing mode. I didn't know about resting calorie burn until about two months ago. I didn't realize how much calories i burned just while sleeping, etc. figure out your BMR, then determine your activity level and how much your active burn calories are. Total those up and then subtract 500 calories for 1 pound weight loss or 1000 calories for 2 pound weight less. Whatever is left is what you eat per day to lose weight. Has worked for me the last month i started tracking through MFP. I weighed 210 when i started 5 weeks ago, as of Monday i weighed 199.2. I put my goal in MFP to lose 1.5 to 2pounds per week. It gives me my daily calorie intake to lose that weight. Ive done it and it has worked. Whatever calories i burn through exercise, i can just add to my daily calorie amount. Check it out. Here is a link to the resting calorie burn (BMR) calculator. My UP band also shows me my BMR, which is very close to what the calculator shows for my ht/wt/age. http://www.quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results
    I think this is not accurate. You get fat from eating too many calories, not too few (assuming that's what you are opining).

Not quite sure i am saying it correctly. If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it's starving and it goes into fat storing mode or something like that, and you might not lose any weight initially. Eventually you will lose weight though. But who wants to starve.

@robper13 I've heard that too. You're not crazy. While you will lose weight, I think it's actually just more difficult to lose when you're eating too few calories because your body goes into fat storage mode (over time!). Whether that's true or not, its definitely true that once you start eating again, your body will gain the weight back really quickly because it hoards the fat in preparation for another fast.

This is literally of zero concern to anyone here, though.

The amount of time and deprivation this would take isn't typically accomplished on purpose, or outside of crazy lost in the wilderness scenarios.

Dude, obviously it's of great concern considering how many people jumped down the guys throat for believing something that is a very common myth. People on here really need to chill out. Just saying.

Wow, this is quite the response. ;)

Starvation mode as to normal everyday dieting is a myth, and correcting someone else when they post inaccurate information is not "jumping down" their throat.

Telling other people to chill out is so not cool.

Metabolic adaptation is not what we're talking about here.

• robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you eat too many calories, you'll gain weight. If you eat too few calories, you can also gain weight. Are you drinking enough water? About a gallon a day is good for most people trying to lose weight.

Not sure if you can gain weight, but you won't lose any weight if you don't eat as much calories as you burn throughout the day. Your body will go into fat storing mode. I didn't know about resting calorie burn until about two months ago. I didn't realize how much calories i burned just while sleeping, etc. figure out your BMR, then determine your activity level and how much your active burn calories are. Total those up and then subtract 500 calories for 1 pound weight loss or 1000 calories for 2 pound weight less. Whatever is left is what you eat per day to lose weight. Has worked for me the last month i started tracking through MFP. I weighed 210 when i started 5 weeks ago, as of Monday i weighed 199.2. I put my goal in MFP to lose 1.5 to 2pounds per week. It gives me my daily calorie intake to lose that weight. Ive done it and it has worked. Whatever calories i burn through exercise, i can just add to my daily calorie amount. Check it out. Here is a link to the resting calorie burn (BMR) calculator. My UP band also shows me my BMR, which is very close to what the calculator shows for my ht/wt/age. http://www.quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results
    I think this is not accurate. You get fat from eating too many calories, not too few (assuming that's what you are opining).

Not quite sure i am saying it correctly. If you don't eat enough, your body thinks it's starving and it goes into fat storing mode or something like that, and you might not lose any weight initially. Eventually you will lose weight though. But who wants to starve.

Thank you for linking to a calculator that in no way, shape or form backs up your claims.

I suggest reading this before you do anymore "research"
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/evaluatinghealthinformation.html

When you're through with that this list of diet myths helps
    http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/myths/Pages/weight-loss-and-nutrition-myths.aspx

Never said i did any "research." Obviously i believed a myth that alot of people believed as well. Sorry, my bad. But whatever the case, i am losing weight and not hungry. Happy for that. So many different points of view. Some fitness experts say this, others say that. ????? What is true really. Now i read that kale could be dangerous. Really, superfood kale?

I made the mistake of giving some information that i thought was helping but obviously not. Sorry for that. like reading all the points of view though and have learned things i didnt know.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Thank you for linking to a calculator that in no way, shape or form backs up your claims.

I suggest reading this before you do anymore "research"
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/evaluatinghealthinformation.html

When you're through with that this list of diet myths helps
    http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/myths/Pages/weight-loss-and-nutrition-myths.aspx

Never said i did any "research." Obviously i believed a myth that alot of people believed as well. Sorry, my bad. But whatever the case, i am losing weight and not hungry. Happy for that. So many different points of view. Some fitness experts say this, others say that. ????? What is true really. Now i read that kale could be dangerous. Really, superfood kale?

I made the mistake of giving some information that i thought was helping but obviously not. Sorry for that. like reading all the points of view though and have learned things i didnt know.
    Strong response, imo.

• francescabeaverhousen
    francescabeaverhousen Posts: 17 Member
    Options

@robper13 I've heard that too. You're not crazy. While you will lose weight, I think it's actually just more difficult to lose when you're eating too few calories because your body goes into fat storage mode (over time!). Whether that's true or not, its definitely true that once you start eating again, your body will gain the weight back really quickly because it hoards the fat in preparation for another fast.

The amount of time and deprivation this would take isn't typically accomplished on purpose, or outside of crazy lost in the wilderness scenarios.

Dude, obviously it's of great concern considering how many people jumped down the guys throat for believing something that is a very common myth. People on here really need to chill out. Just saying.

Starvation mode as to normal everyday dieting is a myth, and correcting someone else when they post inaccurate information is not "jumping down" their throat.

Correcting someone is different than what I've seen on here. I've seen a lot of finger-pointing, and what I hear is "I'm right!" "You're wrong!" Literally people have posted just that. My experience with these boards has not been positive. In fact, I've gotten multiple PMs from people with advice about the original topic who chose not to post on here due to the overwhelming negativity. This is a community meant to support people and the overall tone of many of the posts is not supportive. I think it would be wise for people to think about the intent of their message before they post.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Lovemehatemebytchez Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I just returned from a week long trip to Maine and was surprised when I got on the scale: I had gained 5 pounds! In one week! Now before you start thinking, it was vacation and it happens, I watched what I ate the whole time and exercised daily. My first day gone, I chose steel-cut oatmeal at the airport instead of the yummy breakfast sandwich with avocado. When I got to my destination, I went by the health food store and stocked up on good-for-me foods like fruit and vegetables. Every morning I started with a healthy breakfast of fresh blueberries, granola, and yogurt, and cooked most of my dinners (which I aimed to keep under 500 calories) as well. For lunch I let myself splurge a little it was vacation after all) and ate lobster, or crab rolls, or clams, but I was also exercising every day: hiking up to 3 miles or yoga. I wasn't able to track my meals on MFP, because I didn't have service on my phone, but I don't think it would have added up to the shocking weight gain I experienced. I know weights fluctuate, but this doesn't make any sense. I'm frustrated and really disappointed. I'm angry at my body for "not being like other peoples' " As part of my weight loss, I'm trying to practice compassion for myself and balance in everything I do, although that can be hard at times like this. I honestly wonder if there is an imbalance in my body that needs to be addressed medically. I know that with a hypo-thyroid you can gain weight, but I've been checked for that, and don't have any of the other symptoms that go along with it. Any other ideas? (Thanks for reading my rambling post! I really needed to get it out :tired_face::smile: )

Probably need to drink more water girly
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Correcting someone is different than what I've seen on here. I've seen a lot of finger-pointing, and what I hear is "I'm right!" "You're wrong!" Literally people have posted just that. My experience with these boards has not been positive. In fact, I've gotten multiple PMs from people with advice about the original topic who chose not to post on here due to the overwhelming negativity. This is a community meant to support people and the overall tone of many of the posts is not supportive. I think it would be wise for people to think about the intent of their message before they post.

Most of the people here are very good and very knowledgeable. And they spend a lot of time posting to help people, as a community should. However, there are some people who insist on believing in myths both in diet and exercise, and when the community tries to help them by explaining, they get angry and so it goes. Don't give up on the boards. Get to know the people, and you will know whom you can trust and cannot. There is a LOT of good advice going on here by people who tirelessly are not tired by multiple questions by people who come and go. Stick with the message boards, stick with your calorie count and exercising, stick with MFP, and you will be amazed.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I can't help but think those that feel the forums are hostile haven't been introduced to the internet much less other forums! This place is a cake walk! People just know what they're talking about and give their time tackling the 1078398646 threads started every day with absolute guff in them. So sometimes they can come across as a bit short, they're not, they're just getting to the point. Plus, people don't like being told they're wrong so they'll interpret it negatively regardless.

As for your gain, I'm also calling mostly water weight. I blow up like a Mickey balloon at Disney if I so much as glance at a plane and stay that way for a few days. It's delightful!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    As for your gain, I'm also calling mostly water weight. I blow up like a Mickey balloon at Disney if I so much as glance at a plane and stay that way for a few days. It's delightful!

This really made me laugh! :smiley: I'm going to keep saying to myself "It's delightful!" during this vacation I'm on right now - I've been here two days and my jeans are already tight! Honestly, I feel so weird and simultaneously bloated and dehydrated every time I fly, and for days afterwards. I don't know how pilots and flight attendants do it.

I can't wait until I get home so I can weigh myself and see the damage.

Don't worry OP, you'll be back on track in no time! Me too!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I'm not finger pointing, I'm simply saying the information presented is incorrect.

Negative is in the perception, and I see none at all in calling someone out on incorrect information.

For you to say that people should think about the intent of their message before they post is implying that you are projecting your stuff onto their post. Not a good thing. ;)

My intent? Correcting someone who is giving incorrect information because, well....it's incorrect.

• socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, when I was heavier (180 heaviest) I would hike a 1000ft elevation gain, 3.5 miles in 75-90 minutes, and I burned 900-1050 calories consistently on this hike, wearing a HRM. Granted it was uphill.

As I lost weight, being between 135-145lbs that number is more like 750-850 for the exact same hike in say 10 fewer minutes. So not sure how intense her hike was by comparison, but it's not totally unrealistic for her at 225lbs to burn 750 calories in an hour.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I just returned from a week long trip to Maine and was surprised when I got on the scale: I had gained 5 pounds! In one week! Now before you start thinking, it was vacation and it happens, I watched what I ate the whole time and exercised daily. My first day gone, I chose steel-cut oatmeal at the airport instead of the yummy breakfast sandwich with avocado. When I got to my destination, I went by the health food store and stocked up on good-for-me foods like fruit and vegetables. Every morning I started with a healthy breakfast of fresh blueberries, granola, and yogurt, and cooked most of my dinners (which I aimed to keep under 500 calories) as well. For lunch I let myself splurge a little it was vacation after all) and ate lobster, or crab rolls, or clams, but I was also exercising every day: hiking up to 3 miles or yoga. I wasn't able to track my meals on MFP, because I didn't have service on my phone, but I don't think it would have added up to the shocking weight gain I experienced. I know weights fluctuate, but this doesn't make any sense. I'm frustrated and really disappointed. I'm angry at my body for "not being like other peoples' " As part of my weight loss, I'm trying to practice compassion for myself and balance in everything I do, although that can be hard at times like this. I honestly wonder if there is an imbalance in my body that needs to be addressed medically. I know that with a hypo-thyroid you can gain weight, but I've been checked for that, and don't have any of the other symptoms that go along with it. Any other ideas? (Thanks for reading my rambling post! I really needed to get it out :tired_face::smile: )

@Lovemehatemebytchez Drinking water doesn't cause weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

A bunch of people explained this to you last night.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, when I was heavier (180 heaviest) I would hike a 1000ft elevation gain, 3.5 miles in 75-90 minutes, and I burned 900-1050 calories consistently on this hike, wearing a HRM. Granted it was uphill.

As I lost weight, being between 135-145lbs that number is more like 750-850 for the exact same hike in say 10 fewer minutes. So not sure how intense her hike was by comparison, but it's not totally unrealistic for her at 225lbs to burn 750 calories in an hour.
    It's not impossible, but it's more likely an overestimation than not. I'm about that weight, with more muscle than she has, and I don't burn 750 calories doing an hour of walking 13 minute miles.

• Lovemehatemebytchez
    Lovemehatemebytchez Posts: 119 Member
    Options

@Lovemehatemebytchez Drinking water doesn't cause weight loss. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.

A bunch of people explained this to you last night.
    I never said that water causes weight loss.
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It happens. That off splurge at lunch, not weighing. 'hidden' sugars & cals in oatmeal. Water weight, natural fluctuation in body weight. Maybe not exercising as much as you thought, 3 mile isn't really a 'hike' it's a walk, it's not that's far or intensive exercise really, it probably wasn't enough to compensate for your 'lunch time splurges'.

Weight loss isn't linear. Draw a line under it and move on. Let it motivate you.
  • Fulcherj1
    Fulcherj1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

so much wrong with the bolded...seriously dude...

RMR+regular activity+exercise = TDEE

Can someone let me know what RMR stands for? That's one I don't think I've seen. Is it the same as bmr?

Thanks!