Alternatives for potato chips?

Options

Replies

• droxee
    droxee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is kind of a substitute. But that dry, salty, crispy crunchiness is really hard to replace. I want some chips now...

Which is why I always put butter on my popcorn, haha Resist the chips!!
  • droxee
    Options
    You can slice potatoes thin, spray a baking sheet with olive oil, place in a single layer, and bake at around 400 for about 10 minutes. Spray potatoes with more olive oil, and turn. Bake for another 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy! They are like a cross between chips & roasted potatoes but have minimal calories.

This is a good idea!! I'll give it a try c:
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Zucchini chips and enlightened roasted broad beans
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Baked Lay's sour cream and onion, PopChip sour cream & onion or BBQ are my favorites.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving potato chips I'll eat...potato chips. I actually really prefer the Baked Lays to the regular, and those are a bit lighter on calories. Also, reduced fat Pringles are a thing. I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they're pretty good.

As others said, popcorn might do it for you if you're dead set against potato chips for some reason.

I like the Quest chips, and the macros on those are amazing, but some people really hate them.

I don't know why anyone would think dried seaweed, kale, beans, or fruit could ever replace potato chips. That's crazy talk.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Sami's Millet and Flax chips, they don't have the saltiness, but a very satisfying crunch and decent amount of Fiber as well. They also come in a couple of flavors like cinnamon, but I prefer the plain.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Like you, I crave potato chips once in awhile, so I eat... potato chips. I put a portion in a bowl so I don't go crazy and eat half the bag. I then enjoy my treat and log the calories for the portion of chips. So far, it has not impacted my weight loss.
  • MaraAraLara
    MaraAraLara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Air popped pop corn with a little salt - 31 calories a cup! Its a nice treat to have!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For salt and crunch I like the fried green beans (120 calories per 28g), shrimp chips (130 calories, found at an Asian grocery store by my house), veggie chips, Quest protein chips, Pringles (160 calories). I realize that these aren't saving you much (if any) calories, but I don't care for low cal stuff. I try to fit in the real thing. BUT the quest chips at least help me reach my protein goal.
  • frumpjunk
    frumpjunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I want a salty, crunchy snack, I eat salted roasted pumpkin seeds. You can shell them and eat the kernal or you can eat them whole. I tend to eat them whole. They have a satisfying crunch, pack a decent amount of protein, give you some fiber, and aren't too high on calories. I usually get either Kroger brand or David brand (like the David sunflowers). Both are good.

I know they aren't potato chips, but you might like them if you try them.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can bake cheese chips and zucchini chips mmmm
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can bake cheese chips and zucchini chips mmmm
  • nashelsky
    nashelsky Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can dry sliced zucchini in the oven... I haven't tried it yet though! Here is the recipe...
    http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/zucchini-chips/
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    droxee wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    kendallvon wrote: »
    wasabi peas. They're salty, sweet, crunchy and a little spicy.

But I am an aggressive snacker and love the crunch. Plus the spiciness slows me down and I enjoy them more.

I might give these a try. What brand do you like?

Also thumbs up for "aggressive snacker" (me too c:)

No special brand. I think technically they are called 'Valued Naturals' but really they're just the ones I find along with the other bulk nuts/grains/dried fruit in Shoprite.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat potato chips....that's what I do. It's not hard to find another way to save 120 calories & eat a handful of potato chips instaed. I don't get too carried away with the hype that I can't have some potato chips when I want. Life's too short lol
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds, although I have to agree with many of the others that there is no substitute for the salty goodness that are potato chips. I just budget for them and pour them into a bowl rather than graze out of a bag.
  • droxee
    edited July 2015
    Options
    andrewjuu wrote: »
    I eat potato chips....that's what I do. It's not hard to find another way to save 120 calories & eat a handful of potato chips instaed. I don't get too carried away with the hype that I can't have some potato chips when I want. Life's too short lol

I hear you. A lot of people are suggesting that, too. My issue is that if I buy them / have them in the house, they become my go to snack. They're very addicting for me!! So Id like to find something healthier (I'm not too concerned about calories, necessarily) to focus my... Obsessive snacking? haha

Although of course nothing will taste like potato chips but potato chips, things that are salty and crunchy satisfy that same craving for me c:
  • droxee
    Options
    nashelsky wrote: »
    I've heard you can dry sliced zucchini in the oven... I haven't tried it yet though! Here is the recipe...
    http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/zucchini-chips/

These sound great!! Thanks for sharing the recipe too c:
  • droxee
    edited July 2015
    Options
    frumpjunk wrote: »
    When I want a salty, crunchy snack, I eat salted roasted pumpkin seeds. You can shell them and eat the kernal or you can eat them whole. I tend to eat them whole. They have a satisfying crunch, pack a decent amount of protein, give you some fiber, and aren't too high on calories. I usually get either Kroger brand or David brand (like the David sunflowers). Both are good.

I know they aren't potato chips, but you might like them if you try them.

Ah, I love these at Halloween. In my family we roast the seeds we get from carving our jack-o-lantern. I didn't even think of those. Thanks!
  • droxee
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    BUT the quest chips at least help me reach my protein goal.

Another vote for quest chips! I will try them, thanks c: